PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Chan vs. Bill Wallace

fa_jing
02-04-2002, 01:48 PM
Just caught the last half of a Chan flick on Telemundo, I was watching the villan's main fighter for a while, thinking, I've seen this guy somewhare before, finallly I realized it was Bill Wallace!! He did a good job and looked the part. I noticed he still has great kicks and kicked fast like Bruce Lee. Anyone remember this movie, it tool place in Hong Kong and was about Drug-smuggling. Know the name? Any other moview you know of with Bill Wallace in them?
-FJ

Chum Kil
02-04-2002, 02:33 PM
I think the movie is called "The Protector". To me, this is one of Jackie's worst movies made. This was made for the American public. After that movie Jackie started on a big roll of great films.

Kristoffer
02-16-2002, 05:08 PM
hmmm,, isn't he in the Who Am I? movie??? (roof scene)

Silumkid
02-20-2002, 06:20 PM
Yes, this movie is called "The Protector". If you only want it for the last fight with Wallace, then by all means have at it. If you are looking for a good movie....well, sorry but this ain't it. However, there is some light in the darkness. I have not ben able to get a copy of it but I have heard that there is a version of this movie that was released in Asia where Chan re-shot and re-edited the last HALF due to his disagreements with the director. It is said that he eliminated the nudity and pathetic ending, adding car chases and more fighting including extending the battle with Wallace.

Other movies I know of with Wallace:

A Force of One (Wallace vs. Chuck Norris - another not so great film - he and Norris play rival kickboxing pros...Norris teaches cops and Wallace hangs with drug dealers, resulting in Wallace killing Norris' black (yes, black!) son. Lots of cliche stuff and humdrum action and ending - very unsatisfying in my opinion)

Force Five (I may be wrong on this one...but I believe Wallace is in this with Joe Lewis the kickboxer and Benny Urquidez - been a long time since I've seen this one)

That's all I can come up with at the moment.

Silumkid
02-20-2002, 06:44 PM
OK....did some research....check this out. Bill Wallace is also in:

Los Angeles Streetfighter (aka Ninja Turf)
Sword of Heaven
Manchurian Avenger
Get a Job - voiceover - animated
Avenging Force (This is the one I thought was Force Five...he isn't in that BTW)
Fight to Win (aka Eyes of the Dragon w/Cynthia Rothrock)
Silent Assassins
American Hunter
The Falkland Man

Have fun.

Jimbo
02-25-2002, 01:57 PM
The guy who fought Jackie Chan on the rooftop in Who Am I? was a Dutch TKD man, along with a Chinese CLF practitioner.

I saw the Asian version of The Protector when I lived in Taipei, and it had scenes and characters not seen in the American version. Also included a scene where Bill Wallace fights old-school kung fu movie villain Li Hai-Sheng in an ice factory.

The Chan/Wallace fight scenes had a bit of similarity to the American, but the photography/angles were different. The American version looks like a very bad, cheap, straight to video movie. The Asian version's photography was more like the normal Hong Kong style of the mid-'80s, which means better and more dramatic.

While the Asian version is not that good a movie, the American version was just plain bad. In both versions, HK actress Moon Lee is wasted. Bill Wallace was an excellent full-contact fighter (I took a week-long seminar with him in 1982), but he doesn't seem to come off as very impressive onscreen. He looked the most natural in a movie in A Force of One, which I think he and Norris basically ad-libbed and semi-sparred a bit in the fight scenes. He seems stiff and awkward in other movies, like Ninja Turf against TKD master Jun Chong, and of course, against Jackie Chan in Protector. Jackie even stated that although Wallace is an excellent martial artist, their physical styles do not work well together onscreen. (compare Chan's fights scenes against Benny "the jet" Urquidez in Wheels on Meals and Dragons Forever to see the incredible difference).
Jim