PDA

View Full Version : ATT: Rich Mooney

Water Dragon
02-04-2002, 06:26 PM
Mr. Mooney,

One of the doctors who conducted the qi projection experiment on shenwu.com has just made a post there. He implied that he would be more than open to conducting another test with you. This may be an excellant chance for you to iron out the failings in the prior test, i.e. develop a more verifiable model.

I would suggest making the rules and criteria of the test public before the results. In that way, you could not be disputed if (when?) you succeed. Perhaps Gene Ching culd run a series on it, building up to the actual test. The results could be printed in his magazine.

I, for one, would be very interested if you do indeed have this ability and can show that it is replicable.

Thank you for your time.

joedoe
02-04-2002, 06:40 PM
I'm with WD on this. While a healthy skeptic, I would be interested to see you answer your critics.

Even if it fails to prove anything, I can respect a man who is willing to put his training and his abilities to the test.

Best of luck if you decide to do it all again.

Black Jack
02-04-2002, 06:41 PM
Where is Mooneys school?

What state?

Maybe if I am in the area I could arrange to stop by and be jedi-mind sucked.

jimmy23
02-04-2002, 07:41 PM
hahaa, if Mooney fails the test (whuch he will) , his cash cow will be gone, and he'll never let that happen

Stacey
02-04-2002, 08:03 PM
I'm tellin you guys, read "The holographic Universe" ,if he does test clear, this book will explain why.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-04-2002, 10:31 PM
stacy . .

i liked cum dumpster better.

rubthebuddha
02-05-2002, 12:51 AM
as much as a skeptic as i am, i agree, too, that he still has bigger chimmies than anyone else for putting his claims on the line like this.

kinda hard to wish him luck, and it'd be pointless to root for the doctors. let's just hope the test is accurate either way, then go out for margaritas.

fiercest tiger
02-05-2002, 04:31 AM
hi,
that book is it on the web? is there a site i can download it?

thanks dude
FT

JasBourne
02-05-2002, 09:36 AM
He'll never do it. Jimmy23 is right, if he goes public and fails (like every other charlatan who claims to have some flavor of telekinesis) his adoring disciples will flee and his cash cow will disappear. It's much easier to deflect critics with statements like "you've never met me". Bob and weave, bob and weave.

If he really could do what he claims, there would be SOOOOO much money for him! Think of how much moolah illusionists like David Blaine and David Copperfield make - the real deal would be worth a FORTUNE!! Scientists would be falling all over themselves to study "empty force", business would be falling all over itself to harness "empty force" for commercial applications.

Does anyone remember that famous faker, Uri Geller, the guy who could "bend spoons with his mind"? That guy made a ton of public appearance cash by playing off of those scientists and businessmen, until he just couldn't fool them anymore. Mooney's gig is pennyante - he's already a proven fake, can't even put it over on a couple of scientists looking to prove "empty force". Their paper on the test was a real eye-opener - c'mon, NO ONE reacted to Mooney's "power"???

ROFLMAO!

myosimka
02-05-2002, 10:44 AM
This has always confounded me. I know that there are tons of rubes out there but I still don't get how so many people fall for this stuff. I am entertained by Copperfield but I know that the Statue of Liberty didn't dematerialize so I'd never try to figure out how to do that. I know that Penn didn't actually drive a knife through Teller's hand(although I did figure out how to do that. What do you mean he shouldn't need stitches afterwards?) I accept that I have been deceived. That's part of the joy of it.

And if you can't get this to work consistently (and I have yet to meet someone who can) why would you do it? I can't do things as well as my instructors but I can perform a front kick. When I hit something with it there is impact. Yes, I work to get it harder and faster but if everytime I through it my foot glanced off the target and there was no discernible movement, I wouldn't practice it. You can tell me what a gun can do but if you gave me one and I did what you said and the hammer came down with a click and nothing happened, I'd want to know what the problem is. I would not squeeze the trigger repeatedly waiting for it to fire. And that's the problem with all the kyusho training I have ever seen. People can't get it to work on me and I can't get it to work on resisting people. Telling me to just practice more until it works doesn't impress me.

A friend of mine had an excellent standard for judging training and techniques. "Whip my ass with it. Beat me down." Anytime someone shows me a technique, I make them use it on me. I give 50-60% resistance. If it works great!! So far all I've ever seen from kyusho is some spots hurt more than others. Knew that. And I have never seen a qi/chi only takedown. Never.

Well almost. At a seminar, Sifu Richardson started to demonstrate a scarf hold neck crank and told a student to lie down. The student did it and Burton said, "See. A chi throw." Cracked me and the rest of the group up. Apparently you get chi throws by convincing people to train with you over the course of many years. Not very effective on the street but MA do require a lifetime to perfect, no?

Braden
02-05-2002, 10:46 AM
It seems like he allready has gone public and failed.

Water Dragon
02-05-2002, 11:48 AM
Everyone deserves a second chance.

Braden
02-05-2002, 11:52 AM
Oh for sure. Just directing respondly to the 'He will never go public...' comments.

Ray Pina
02-05-2002, 12:10 PM
Myosimka, I think that's the best post I ever read here. Your sign off is classic as well. Nice meeting you, the first time I've ever seen one of your posts. :)

As for Mr. Mooney. I was just at the mall for lunch and flicked through the magazine to his article. I read the intro ("I heard of masters in the past who had this ability") and thought it was a bit pressumptious. A student fell back (maybe he was trying to avoid the strike) and he assumed he had powers, and then placed himself on a pretty high pedistal. Whatever. That's his business.

But the photo of the knife attack defense is down right insulting!

The photo of 10 guys being knocked back with his two fingers in the air? I say, let me get 5 of my friends, me in the front, and give me a full punch and see if we move like those bafoons.

Maybe this man is Yoda. I highly doubt it.

I actually would like to cross hands with this man.

Archangel
02-05-2002, 01:18 PM
I actually know how copperfield made the statue dissapear, a friend of mine who was an amateur magician figured it out. IT'S SO EASY AND STUPID, i kicked myself when he told me.

Crimson Phoenix
02-05-2002, 03:07 PM
You'll kick yourself even more when you realize the statue didn't really disappear and that it wasn't necessary to kick yourself for that :D

On a side note, I agree that "work harder to make it work" might not be a satisfactory explanation...but on the other hand, it might as well be true...it's easier to figure out there's something "out there" not working than to face the fact that we are not good enough to make it work the way it should...I saw this old lady cooking once...she would throw the rubbish of the recipe over her shoulder without even looking, and it would always end up in the trash can several feet behind...whatever it was, eggs, roots, bones, she'd throw them, and woosh, in the trash...I myself could try for weeks, months, I don't know how long, before succeeding...and you want to know the secret...well, that's what she did, but I hadn't been here when she was throwing tons o' crap missing the trash...
"Work harder" might be just an easy and woopy doo explanation in many cases, for sure, but sometimes it's also just the only explanation...
How blinding and conceited of a martial artist it would be too think it cannot be done if he just can't succeed easily enough...and even in the case that, yes, agreed, it can't be done even if you work all the time, then fine, as the japanese say the way is more important than the goal.

Huuuhhh...wait a sec, it's just a comment, don't go thinking I'm advocating that "you too can have empty force if you try hard enough"...I'm very skeptic about it all, wondering that if they can use empty force so easily, they'd be real MA legends if they started to use the full force hehehehehheheh

red_fists
02-05-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Archangel
I actually know how copperfield made the statue dissapear, a friend of mine who was an amateur magician figured it out. IT'S SO EASY AND STUPID, i kicked myself when he told me.

Changed the Camera Angle didn't he??

Archangel
02-05-2002, 05:25 PM
Something like that, he actually rotated the stage that everyone was standing on about 30 degrees so the statue was out of site, then he had a dummy platform bulit and they focused on that when the curtain was lifted.