PDA

View Full Version : Dim Mak

PHILBERT
02-05-2002, 08:34 PM
I was looking into Dim Mak and did a search on these forums and lo and behold! it said there are not enough characters for it. So what is this thing about? Other than though so called "touch of death" thing. Is there like any information about it online? Just curious about it.

red_fists
02-05-2002, 08:54 PM
Hi Philbert.

AFAIK, Dim Mak is pressure point fighting and nothing more.

The "Death Touch" has been claimed by quiet a few systems and Instructors.

PHILBERT
02-05-2002, 09:05 PM
Thanks man

logic
02-05-2002, 09:12 PM
www.dimmak.net

Chris McKinley
02-05-2002, 09:25 PM
I teach it as part of the curriculum of both Taijiquan and Baguazhang. The most concise way of looking at it is simply as acupressure, only in reverse and with a lot harder contact. Instead of looking to balance a person's energy system (from a Traditional Chinese Medicine point of view), you are looking to disrupt it.

Whether one wishes to make it a part of their striking or not, one thing is certain...there's no "touching" to it. It most certainly DOES involve hard contact with the target of the strike. I also strongly feel that one should never try to replace solid legitimate martial skill with Dim-Mak knowledge. Use of Dim-Mak targets should never exceed its place as "icing on the cake". It's always used as an addition, not as a substitution. After all, you still have to be able to fight well in order to get those strikes in.

While some of the targets used in Dim-Mak are chosen solely because of their place in Traditional Chinese Medicine, many also have an undisputed western importance or vulnerability, anatomically speaking. For instance, a common Dim-Mak target is known as Neigwan, or Pericardium 6. This point has a role in TCM, but it is also situated right over the median nerve of the forearm. This point is often used to weaken an opponent's grip or weaken his punch. It is not difficult to understand why this happens since the median nerve is a major nerve in the forearm providing ennervation to the muscles which allow grip or the formation of a tight fist. If the median nerve is struck, it's therefore not surprising that the grip loosens or the fist weakens.

There are many other examples of Dim-Mak strikes with just this sort of explanation. There is nothing magical or supernatural about it in any way. BTW, Dim-Mak has absolutely nothing whatsoever with breaking bricks or any other objects, despite what Jean-Claude Van Damme movies might have to say about it.

Black Jack
02-05-2002, 10:12 PM
So your saying you can't break a single brick three bricks down and leave the rest standing.

Wimp;)

Nexus
02-05-2002, 10:22 PM
Oompa Loompa's should sing a song about Dim Mak.

Oompa Loompa DimMakadee Doo,
I've got another death touch for you.

Oompa Loompa DimMakadee Dee,
If you are wise you will keep distance from me.

What do you get when your Shifu's a brat,
Kicking your ass at the drop of a... hat.

What do you get when your push hands is a shame?
Does it remind you of your sloppy parting - wild - horses - mane?

Where do you go when your being attacked by.. chi?
Do you yell out 'Yang Chengfu is sitting on me?'

How do you respond when the Dim Mak's on the phone?
A second too slow, and the ER's is Your New Home.

I don't like the feel of that!

Oompa Loompa DimMakadee Doo,
I've got another death touch for you.

- Nexus

PS. Add your Dim Mak death touch Oompa Loompa words!

Nexus
02-07-2002, 10:40 PM
Martial arts songs deserve a bump.