PDA

View Full Version : Sparring Equipment

Nat from UK
02-06-2002, 06:17 AM
I am looking at updating my protective sparring equipment, my current gear is falling apart and in need of replacement.

What do Forum members where when sparring?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I currently use the dipped foam shin pads, Thai boxing style leather helmet and some Semi Contact gloves (which have an open hand to allow for grabbing but are quite bulky around the wrist area as the padding extends onto the forarm)

Nat from UK

PS I am too pretty to consider not wearing any equipment :D

mun hung
02-07-2002, 03:46 AM
I get the feeling that many on this board don't spar. For some reason many people associate the term "sparring" with bouncing around doing TKD/boxing/kickboxing type techniques without any sort of Wing Chun. With this in mind, I really can't blame some of them, because this sometimes proves to be true. :p

My definition of sparring is using protective equipment for safety, while fighting with some sort of control with your classmates without killing one another. What's better than that? :)

As far as my opinion on equipment goes - there's a company called Kwon in Germany that's got some pretty good stuff. It really depends on what you're doing though. Safety might not ensure long life, but it sure does'nt hurt to try.

BTW - I prefer to wear something over the existing shinguards you mentioned. I like fingerless gloves also, but finding a good durable pair with enough padding can be difficult. What brand are the one's you mentioned?

Dave Farmer
02-07-2002, 05:22 AM
Hi Nat

I don't wear shin guards at all but do use head gear (i'm too pretty to bruise) , Mitts and a box.

The Mitts are the wrist wrap type with the palm bar removed (thanks to my lovely lady) which allows a good range of WC tecnique.

A good supplier in the uk are www.playwell.co.uk

Never had any problems in quite a few dealings with them and the gear is pretty good quality for the price.

One thing I would avoid at all costs are the head guards with integral plastic face shield.

More than once, I've seen people with split noses where the guard has actually hit them in the face.

IMHO the boxing style head gear is much better as are the boxing style groin guards.

Regards

Dave F

Nat from UK
02-07-2002, 06:44 AM
Mun Hung my shin protectors are KWON, not cheap but they have an extra ridge of foam down the centre and seem to stay in place well.

By the way I dont bounce around making cat noises or the guys i spar with would bounce me of the walls. But we do throw in round house kicks and spinning kicks so we can practice our Wing Chun against different styles of fighting - alternating between throwing the kicks and getting dumped on the floor and doing the dumping.

Dave - The mitts you mention from Playwell, are they similar to the ones that the MMA guys use ??

If they are Playwell only do them in Large and the gloves were just to big for my hands :mad: -

Do you guys were Gum/Mouth Shields ?? I have heard both Pros and Cons for the wearing of them ?? any opinions.

Nat from UK

Nichiren
02-07-2002, 07:26 AM
Do you guys were Gum/Mouth Shields ?? I have heard both Pros and Cons for the wearing of them ?? any opinions.

I don't know of any drawbacks except they aren't comfortable in the beginning. If you use gumshields often then you will not even notice them after a while. This is a small price to pay if you are unlucky and have to go to the dentist with the front teeth in your hand... ;)

jesper
02-07-2002, 09:06 AM
For full sparring i use
WT headgear (looks like a boxers headgear with extra steel bars infront of face).
mouthpiece
TKD bodyvest
Fingergloves
groinguard (dont know what to call in english)
elbow pad
kneepads
shinguards

Daily sparring (light)
fingergloves
shinguards
mouthpiece
groinguard