PDA

View Full Version : Woo hoo! Gonna join the ABA!

Sharky
02-06-2002, 08:07 AM
Heh, gonna join the amatuer boxing association which means i can fight real bouts! i'm gettin excited man, it's given me something to train for... we've stepped training up to 5 really fu*king hard sessions a week, and full contact sparring. i', aching fro last night and i got a gym inducion to goto today so i can start lifting again... but am gonna have to miss most (probably all) of boxing today so i can goto that. probably good idea cos i am aching hard. doesn't show amazing dedication though if i don't turn up but i can handle going for a run today, but not 2 1/2 hours of going hardcore nonstop :(

also trying to set up a uni team to compete in the uk uni championships.

yeah baby :cool:

guohuen
02-06-2002, 08:08 AM
Cool!!

Abstract
02-06-2002, 08:12 AM
yo that's dope man...do ya thang!! REPRESENT!!! :cool:

Frank Exchange
02-06-2002, 09:37 AM
Hey Sharks, congrats on getting heavily into the boxing thing.

Im curious as to why you stopped the WC, as last I heard, you had found a teacher quite near you, Cardiff isnt it?

What happened, was he not much cop?

Sharky
02-06-2002, 07:35 PM
i did enjoy the wing chun indeed. it was at south wales wing chun. i went a few times and had a great time. however it required either a 2h train journey, or a lift from someone by car. now i used to get a lift from a couple of guys who go there, senior students, but one day they didn't come to pick me up, and when i called them and left messages they wouldn't call back.

so, basically, f*ck em. the teacher was great, but it was a class of unfit people who are wing chunners, but NOT fighters. i don't care if they are doing chum kiu/biu jee, i'd still go in gung ho and kick their asses. they knew the moves but were NOT fighters. i feel my fighting ability has gone up many times from going to boxing, and i am still very much a beginner.

i guess at the end of the day it's a real shame. i see wing chun dieing [sp] as a legitimate FIGHTING art, and becoming a tai chi type of thing, where people go once a week to stand doing slt cos it helps cultivate chi or some sh*t. i see it as a fighting art, it was made to destroy opponents, and it trains one to be a fighter. but going to boxing has made me a better fighter, period.

maybe some day i will continue my training? but it certainly helped me in boxing. apparently i have very good foot work, and all i am doing is being natural - people think of wing chun footwork being totally the opposite of boxing footwork, but there are loads of similarities in the styles, so so many.

and i'm still young and this is what feels right for me :cool:

popsider
02-18-2002, 05:22 PM
Next month when you jack boxing for judo/capoeira/origami (delete as applicable) are you going to set up a uni club for that as well ?

Budokan
02-18-2002, 05:56 PM
Congrats!

Mr. Nemo
02-18-2002, 05:58 PM
Good luck, man. Keep your hands up.

red_fists
02-18-2002, 06:09 PM
Don't forget to hit those frozen pigs and cows.

respectmankind
02-18-2002, 06:14 PM
Don't forget to almost beat up your girlfriends drunk brother over her virginity.

Sharky
02-18-2002, 06:36 PM
eh popsider?

rogue
02-18-2002, 09:28 PM
Rats, I thought the red, white and blue basketballs and underhand free trhows were making a comeback.:( ;)

Serpent
02-18-2002, 10:02 PM
Hey Sharky - methinks someone is accusing you of not sticking to anything!

NafAnal
02-19-2002, 03:05 AM
Next month when you jack boxing for judo/capoeira/origami (delete as applicable) are you going to set up a uni club for that as well ?

>ouch

Good luck man, boxing absolutely rocks.

David
02-19-2002, 04:06 AM
Sharky, there is Southern Mantis in Cardiff if you're interested.

Sharky
02-19-2002, 04:16 AM
is there?! where man, i am interested indeed.

the only thing i jacked in was wing chun, after 2 - 2 1/2 years or so cos there isn't a place i can get to near me.

i studied jj for a few lessons and it wasn't for me. i would hardly say i was a jj player :rolleyes:

the only reason i want to start a boxing club at uni is so that we can easily arrange fights with other uni's.

Muppet.

popsider
02-19-2002, 05:20 AM
Apologies Sharky, I over reacted to your comments about being able to kick the asses of biu jee level wing chunners.

I'm interested though, did you put your concerns about the fighting ability of the students to the instructor, or any of the students. I'm not saying challenge them - just broach the subject of whether it actually works - I'd hope that they would be able to kick your ass a little (I'd hope that they'd be able to do the same to me if they were long time wing chunners).

Good luck with the boxing.

Xebsball
02-19-2002, 05:28 AM
Thats cool that you can compete now, make us proud

I heard that South Mantis is very combat oriented and doesnt have forms, it sounds great, you should visit the school Sharkster.

Sharky
02-19-2002, 06:12 AM
all i said was, there were many people who knew WING CHUN but were not good fighters. there are probably senior students everywhere that are tecyhnically better than you, they know more, and are further ahead in the system, but they lack fighting spirit and intent. they are good at wing chun but they are NOT fighters. they aren't aggressive enough. go and rugby tackle them etc. they'd **** themselves.

i am VERY intersed in SPM can someone email me with details plz?! :D

Edd

Sharky
02-19-2002, 06:14 AM
oh and at the moment, ive really badly torn the abductor muscle on my right leg, and injured the hamstring on the same leg :( so i'm not doing much atm. would gimme a good chance to check out this SPM school.

funny how we, the people who train and try to get fit, are the ones that are often injured the most :( :o :mad: :rolleyes: :confused:

wu_de36
02-19-2002, 08:39 AM
If a dude named Brick Top wants you to box for him and wants to show you his pigs, I'd try to find a more pressing engagement.

:)

Justa Man
02-19-2002, 08:36 PM
funny how we, the people who train and try to get fit, are the ones that are often injured the most

that's prolly cuz yous don't study ba gua. :D