PDA

View Full Version : fighting spirit

mad taoist
02-07-2002, 01:51 AM
My topic is ferocity in combat, to 'accept' attacks without flinching.

I think I am more of a passive fighter, preferring to counter attack rather than initiate, though I've found the style I am current studying 'prefers' to be aggressive and forward.

I'm cool with that -- I don't mind cultivating that ferocity, and that's my question ... does anyone have any wisdom to offer on developing that fearlessness in combat and sparring -- that 'anti flinching' habit.

I'm sure that seasoned fighters would agree that to put your head down in fear and flinch is technically worse than wearing an opponent's punches.

And also think that it is a thing of maintenance; I found that not sparring for periods of time encourages the 'flinching habit'.

Tell me what you people think.

Ish
02-07-2002, 05:06 AM
Im not sure about the "flinching habit" but i think with the aggresiveness you either have it or you dont.

I train with people who are my seniors but when it comes down to sparing or even most of the training drills we do they just dont have that bit of oomph they need to make a technique work.

Im not sure if its lack of confidance or if they are just to nice to be aggresive but id hate to see how they handled themselves against some fu(k head on the street.

TigerClaw
02-07-2002, 06:40 AM
I agree with your point on maintenance... Sparring is a unique thing, and I've found that the more experience I get, and consequently, the more punches I've taken, the less flinchy I am. I come from a school that is more defensive in nature, but the more experience I get, I find myself as the one often initiating the fight. I think it is mostly a comfort level thing, just about every instinct that is natural to you tells you to run away.
But, that's just me:D

guohuen
02-07-2002, 12:09 PM
Look for the aggressiveness in you already. It's the other side of the passivity you already possess. Confidence in your technique allows you to go in and out of passive-aggressive, soft-hard as the situation demands.

nospam
02-10-2002, 07:42 PM
mad taoist ,

I found that not sparring for periods of time encourages the 'flinching habit'.

Inexperience and improper or inadequate training will not help in overcoming the flinch. In my opinion, improper and inadequate sparring is a major cause for lazy, sloppy-unstylish, and negative, habit forming responses such as the flinch.

Most peoples' response is to spar more; well, if part of the problem is the training methods, then you guessed it, the problem will not go away or it will merely be compensated for as opposed to corrected.

My suggestion would be to go back to two-person drills and start from there. Pay attention to when or what might cause you to flinch and work on it. Then take it to the next level - sparring, and do the same. Tell your training partner what you are working on and they should be able to help you. Also, inform your instructor that you've noticed this and you'd like some help.

Give it time and you should be able to correct any flaws in this manner.

Regarding the mind-set of fighting- this is something you need to do yourself. And it should be pervasive throughout your martial art training, not just when you spar or engaged in two-person drills.

It is a mind-set that does not necessarily has to be aggressive per se; rather, an intensity in everything you do. Focus and make sure you do not forget form. Of course the intensity should be moderated as well. There is a time and place for both.

nospam.
:cool:

mad taoist
02-11-2002, 04:23 PM
Cheers for the feedback guys ... I should have asked the question properly, I think. I really meant how to ask about not flinching rather than being aggressive. Apologies!

I'm in agreement with you, nospam. It's not practise that makes perfect, it's perfect practise that makes perfect... alot of people i know have the 'toughen up' attitude where they think more sparring will destroy the flinching thing while I agree that it would encourage it.

I will experiment more with drills.

Cheers bro :)

TenTigers
02-11-2002, 07:21 PM
here's a few drills:
'the wall" stand with your back to the wall, feet equidistant apart, hands up. have your partner feed you straight punches, which you will intercept witht the technique of your style,i.e. pak sau,gaut sao, etc, then roundhouse punches, then add uppercuts, all the while you are either staring into his eyes , or his chest using peripheral vision,(don't chase hands) as you get used to this increase the speed until you are doing Matrix! Staring into his eyes is more emotionally difficult, but better, You will develop intention. (I can go into a whole topic on this alone)
All reaction drills are done staring into your partner's eyes. As he attacks, you can also try to widen your eyes to prevent blinking.
Sam Jien Kuen also known in Karate as sanchin kata, is a great tool. It will teach you to take blows and step foward, and learn that getting hit does not equal getting hurt. Develops tremendous fighting spirit.

shaolinboxer
02-12-2002, 11:15 AM
Intead of trying not to flinch, use your flinches. They are physical manefestations of your instinct. However, don't over do it. Learn to differentiate danger from leading techniques (like feignting).

In the real world, a flinch can save your life.

grogan
02-13-2002, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by TenTigers
Staring into his eyes is more emotionally difficult, but better, You will develop intention. (I can go into a whole topic on this alone)

You can't just tell me this and stop please go into this topic.

mad taoist
02-14-2002, 03:23 PM
Ten Tigers : yeah, my teacher says the same, look into the eyes. Your eyes are a weapon already, etc.

I've heard alot of people say look at this and look at that and have never been sure, but have started looking in the eyes.

I had a very experienced kung fu fighting friend who said 'don't look in their eyes.... some cold hearted mother** will just look back at ya before he hits you'. heheh....

Kristoffer
02-16-2002, 05:17 PM
think of something that ticks ya off.. like some idiot from work/school.. Then rip him apart