PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Training

Not2Angelic
02-07-2002, 09:13 AM
Hello, I was just wondering how many times a week I should practice kung fu. I have recently received a new job that would require me a limited amount of time to attend classes. Does anyone know how many times a week is beneficial to me?? Thanks.

yenhoi
02-07-2002, 10:02 AM
At least 7, but more is better, usually. Dont over train, work into it, but train with intensity and intent.

Robinf
02-07-2002, 10:19 AM
Practice enough so that you remain on top of and comfortable with what you have learned. This could be anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour a day 3 to 7 times a week. It all depends on your comfort level. There is no set in stone time or frequency. Everyone is different. Just practice--that's the only important thing.

Personally, my practice outside of class takes about a half an hour to an hour three to four times a week. Two days a week I'm in class for an hour. That's my comfort zone and time allowance.

Robin

Ish
02-08-2002, 04:04 AM
I train in class either 3 or 4 times a week for about 1:30 to 2 hours. Out of class i train every day. nits not always a set training sesion but i do stance work and punching drills etc when no ones watching at work. I also try to do weight training at least once a week.

The more you train the better you'll get

xiong
02-08-2002, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure what you meant so I'll answer both.

I think that most beginners need to go twice a week minimum. Some places that is all that is offered. I go for an hour every day Monday through Thursday but that is because I fell I need to push myself.

As far as practicing on your own this is very important for making progress. If you only practice in class you will have trouble remembering forms and will forget the ones you are not working on in class. I feel that learning martial arts is like learning a language. Time spent daily is better than a great length of time once a week. ie 1 hour a day vs. 7 hrs on the weekend.

So try to fit in a little bit of practice every day and you will improve much faster. And I think get more enjoyment out of your class time.

fmann
02-08-2002, 09:16 AM
I think going to classes at least 2 - 3 times a week will probably get you pretty far.

The way I think about it is that every action can be modified in some way to train your MA.

For example, when I'm riding in a crowded subway and there's no seats free, I stand shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent, to train my stance. When I need to go upstairs to get something, I run up the stairs 2-steps at a time, practicing my kao saus as I run. Sitting down typing things, I straighten my posture, type with wrists off the ground to work the shoulders, forearms, etc..

Isometric exercises are good, too. Such as flexing and extending the feet, keeping the toes on the ground, when you sit such that you are working your calves a bit. Or contracting your abs and holding it for an 8 count (which roughly equals a crunch), etc., etc..

Be creative and regardless of what you do, you can practice your kung fu.

nospam
02-09-2002, 11:56 AM
As much as you can or want.

nospam.
:cool:

Not2Angelic
02-10-2002, 07:22 AM
Thank you for the responses :)

Fu-Pow
02-11-2002, 01:59 PM
3 times a week to really get the benefit. Or you could go twice and 1 home work out.

Aramus
02-11-2002, 03:46 PM
Everyone (or just about everyone) has at least 15-30 minutes everyday to do something good for themselves. Try to grab at least 15 minutes everyday to practice or do something that you want to do. OR grab 30 minutes and do two things. This way, you never get burned out and stay fresh (by doing something for yourself).

Going to class 2-3 times a week is a great idea. Practicing 3-6 times a week...once again, great idea. Practicing a little bit on the other days, can't hurt.

Good luck

peace.