PDA

View Full Version : New to kung-fu, wanting to take it up but have questions

Akazmi
02-07-2002, 11:18 AM
I hope someone here can help me. I have been thinking of taking up a martial art and in my city there are several to choose from: Kempo, Karate, Judo, Aikido, Tae Kwon do, and some kung-fu schools. There is a Pak Mei school nearby but I don't know much about kung-fu and nothing about Pak Mei. I am somewhat familiar with Japanese martial arts, however. Can anyone give me some input on Pak Mei. I want to know particularly about its applicability to self-defense in real life, and how it compares to other styles. I tried the southern kung-fu style forum but couldnt find any good info about it. Thanks in advance, friends!

Mutant
02-07-2002, 03:21 PM
I don't know much about pak mei in particular.
But base your decision more on the quality of the instructor/sifu and the lineage. also look at how they train and see if they spar and do self defence and realistic applications. Most any real kung fu style will be good for self defence if you learn the real stuff, so its not as important what style (most are more similar than diff't anyway when you get down to the core of the systems).
So if its a quality bak mei school, it should be good stuff.

That goes for the other styles schools as well, take a good discerning look at the way its taught and quality of instruction.

In my opinion, if you want practical self defence, go with the kung fu (of course thats my vote, but thats my favorite)....or judo or possibly karate depending on how its taught and what style. I personally don't think there are many good aikido schools out there and its generally impractical imho (thats always sure to start some kind of debate). Most TKD schools suk too.

Maybe take pak mei and judo, that could be a good combo. But you really need to concentrate on getting one style down first and that can take years.

Good luck with your decision, whatever you choose!

Paul
02-07-2002, 03:41 PM
which bak mei school are you looking at? Do they have a website? Just curious.

Akazmi
02-07-2002, 03:45 PM
www.pakmei.net

Paul
02-07-2002, 04:03 PM
Here's a quote from their website:

WARNING: Any student walking into a club that claims to teach beginners Pak Mei (White Eyebrow) should exit stage right and head for a "real" school of martial arts! We have a standing invitation to anyone teaching Pak Mei to come and see us. The questionable ones have had personal invitations. At the present time, we have had no takers...although, we do hear from people who "still do things the right way". Real Pak Mei and Leung Ying practitioners get along and have nothing to hide.

Mutant
02-07-2002, 05:04 PM
their website looks kind of screwy to me; buyer beware.
that might not be the best or fastest way to learn practical self defense.
i'd definately look at some other schools first if i were you.
beware of people that teach 'styles' that are so 'secretive' that they won't disclose techniques or give straight answers, or techniques that are too deadly to discuss. places like that are often totally impractical fantasy camps.
their website seemed paranoid in nature, had nothing to do with fighting or techniques and all they talk about is disputing other teachers.
not that bak mei itself is bad, white eyebrow is pretty cool stuff, but that school looks heighly suspect to me.
just my opinion cause you asked.

Budokan
02-07-2002, 10:17 PM
Since you don't know what particular style or system you want to train in then I suggest you go to each of these schools and just sit in and watch. (Hint: if any school tries to dissuade you from doing this then that's a school you DON'T want to attend) By watching how the class progresses and how the students are treated you'll get a lot of insight into just what that style is like and if it's anything you'd even remotely be interested in.

...Which is why some schools don't allow people to sit in and watch!:)

GreyMystik
02-07-2002, 11:32 PM
this would be a wonderful question to ask on the Southern Kungfu Forum, plenty of bak mei practitioners there...:)