PDA

View Full Version : Grapplers- Twister challenge

Knifefighter
02-07-2002, 02:35 PM
I liked the thread about the Mate Leao choke. Here's a different tech.

The Twister- this is also known as the guillotine (not the same guillotine choke as in submission grappling and MMA fighting) in freestyle and folkstyle wrestling. For the grapplers out there, what ways to you use to set this up, what are the other submissions you use when working for this, and what are your escapes?

I set it up from the half guard bottom, from the 1/2 back mount (both top and bottom) and I also look for the calf crusher and banana split submissions as I'm working for it. I'm really interested in finding out if anyone is setting it up from the 1/2 guard top position and/or the De La Riva guard and how you are doing it, as well as other submissions and any defenses once it is close to being locked in. There's a guy named Twister Eddie who sets it up from everywhere, but he won't share:eek:

ShaolinTiger00
02-07-2002, 02:41 PM
de la riva = spider guard?

Merryprankster
02-07-2002, 02:42 PM
Sorry... I don't use it.

I never really liked it much wrestling either. Mostly because I have really flexible body parts and partially dislocated my shoulder to twist out of it....

Merryprankster
02-07-2002, 02:45 PM
Shaolin.

Go open guard, one/both feet in biceps, one both feet on hips.

Have your partner stagger one foot nicely forward.

Get your hips up and out so you are sitting on the forward foot.

Thread your outside leg around the back of their forward leg and hook your foot on their opposite thigh.

Place your inside leg's foot on, or hook the back of, their far knee.

Keep control of their arms.

Basic De La Riva guard....

Not really a beginner thing :)

ShaolinTiger00
02-07-2002, 03:16 PM
ok so i was pretty close then. open guard w/ feet on the biceps and hands controlling the arms = spider guard.

Yep I'm just a lowly beginner... I performed omoplata last time in randori. I rock baybeee..

Merryprankster
02-07-2002, 03:20 PM
You were right about the spider guard being what it is bit, but the De la Riva guard is what I described how to get into, and it's not the same at all.

Congrats on Omoplata... one of my favs...

ShaolinTiger00
02-07-2002, 03:24 PM
MP, yeah its obvious your guard is much more complex than the basic spider guard (and variations, half open etc.)

I can't even picture it in my head, have to see that one in person!

wait. think i've got it. If they can pull their forward leg back, doesn't that act like a fulcrum against your leg that is trapped behind it and in front of the opposite thigh?

6 months ago, I would have never imagine this conversation would take place.

Merryprankster
02-07-2002, 03:33 PM
Exactly. And since your other leg is in FRONT of their forward leg and hooked behind their back leg, you have effectively controlled their movement.

Tons of sweeps from there. Even a cute way to take their back! :)

ShaolinTiger00
02-07-2002, 03:41 PM
lmao @ "a cute way to take someone's back"

*insert ****phobic comment here* or let your gay pride banner wave!

lmao

Tigerstyle
02-07-2002, 03:54 PM
LOL! There's nothing like mounting someone from behind, slapping on a rear naked choke and having them submit to you ;) .

qeySuS
02-07-2002, 03:56 PM
I thought you were gonna invite people to naked Twister.

Merryprankster
02-07-2002, 04:24 PM
cute/clever, not cute/romo :)

Seriously!

You grab hold of their gi belt with the hand nearest their back and hold their near sleeve with the other. You fish the front foot behind their near knee, then scoot round behind them, grab hold of the belt with both hands and push out with your legs and pull down with your arms. They go for a ride then land right with you in Back mount.

rogue
02-07-2002, 08:27 PM
Could you guys post links to pictures when talking about this stuff. Sadly some of us either can't afford or don't have the time to keep up with the grappling world.;)

GinSueDog
02-07-2002, 09:02 PM
KF,
I don't know about the The Twister, but we were working on the calf crusher and knee bar from with in the half guard last week. Can you share more info on the tech?

ShaolinTiger00,
I like the spider guard when defending against standing punches, it works really well.

Rogue,
Here is a good site with pictures, it doesn't have the Twister though.

http://www.geocities.com/josephgarza/archives

Knifefighter
02-08-2002, 02:30 PM
Gin Sue:
The calf crusher originally comes from Sambo and maybe catch, I think. I get it mostly when I have one hook in from the back (one hook in, figure 4 your own leg and reach back and grab the opts ankle). Sometimes I catch it from the 1/2 guard bottom too. I developed a variation of it which I use from the 1/2 guard top where I end up with an ankle crank. I'm still working the bugs out of it as I'm still trying to make it work more consistenlty (I tried it once or twice in Chris's last tourney but missed it each time).

As far as the Twister it’s hard to demonstrate in person, let alone describe in words. Basically you have one hook in. You have to reach behind the opt’s back and pull the far arm over your head. You finish by pulling the opt’s head into you. Getting finished with this move feels like your side is being ripped apart.

ShaolinTiger00
02-08-2002, 02:49 PM
Rouge, I understand you monetary situation. I could recommend two very good books about BJJ. Get a buddy to practice with you and you may become a "backyard" grappler -which I'm told are pretty common white belts at bjj tournaments.

http://www.jiu-jitsu.net/handbook.shtml - this book simply is awesome! it has 3 sections (sport bjj/ no gi/ vale tudo) There is lots of praise about this book. from experts

http://store1.yimg.com/I/fightworld2_1665_303914 - this is Renzo and Royce's book and it is simply a graphic marvel. Never saw a martial art book put together so well and in full color every page. it breaks down the techniques by the belt system that they used to teach in the old brazil days pre ufc. great book for a beginner.

I have both and when I'm not gasping for air lying on the mat being put into a submission, I'm reading one of these books.

*this advertisement was sponsored by NEWBIE GRAPPLERS*

rogue
02-08-2002, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the link GSD.

ST, I have the Gracie book and it is just so well done.

I have to laugh when I see people working on counters to the good old basic BJJ techniques. The grapplers have already come up with counters to those counters.

Merryprankster
02-09-2002, 07:59 AM
Yes, but now they can say "this is MY style's way of countering it."

They'd rather reinvent the wheel than adopt something useful.

qeySuS
02-09-2002, 08:15 AM
I got the Renzo/Royler book, but since i got noone to train with it's kinda pointless ;)

But i liked it and read it, the story and all that was cool.

GinSueDog
02-09-2002, 02:03 PM
Here is a link that shows the calf crusher, or calf lock as we call it where I train.-ED

http://www.jenbjj.com/