PDA

View Full Version : order of choy lay fut forms

RAIN
02-07-2002, 04:40 PM
in a past post joe and fu pow wrote the order of the forms in lee koon hung's linaje . i ask why siu muy fah kuen is the first form .
is great because have the mainly techniques of choy lay fut , but i found siu ping kuen more simple and easy to learn that siu muy fah .

CLFNole
02-07-2002, 04:47 PM
Siu Ping Kuen is relatively simple and easy to learn, however it is not easy to make it look good. The way the kai lun ma's are done is crucial. They should be fast, smooth and then explosive. The double circular hand movements timed with the footwork are also critical.

We always had a saying... "learning Ping Kuen is easy, showing it well is hard!". Most students never grasp the various fine points of the movements and thus never do the form the way it should look.

Peace.

Eddie
02-08-2002, 01:00 AM
CLFNole,
you are dead right. Ping Kuen is short, and fairly quick or easy to learn, but it is a very difficult form. I also find it more tiring than Plumbflower if you do it to the full extend. My only problem with this form is the low kneeling stances in some places (coming up from kneeling stance to kick etc). Its a little tough on the knees, specially for bigger guys.

CLFNole
02-08-2002, 08:45 AM
You must further remember that Siu Ping Kuen is a shortened version of Dai Ping Kuen or what is likely just Ping Kuen to others. Dai Ping Kuen is much longer and due to the length makes is much more demanding.

Truthfully all of the hand forms are relatively easy to learn. They all have the classic CLF seeds within them only some patterns are changed and each form usually has at least one unique characteristic compared to the others.

Peace.

TenTigers
02-10-2002, 04:42 PM
one of my former sifus taught a form that began almost identical to Hung-Ga's Gung Ji Fook Fu-but with Choy Li Fut Flavor. He said it was sup ji kau da, but I have seen tapes of this form, and they are different. He said it was Chan Heung's original set? I also noticed that our ping kuen is entirely different, and that, perhaps he had the names mixed up-dang, it's a good thing I teach Hung-Ga! ;-)I love CLF, and I was only taught a few sets,(ng lun ma, ng lun choy, siu moi fa, ping kuen,sup ji kau da, and siu sup ji kuen-broke ties before learning ba kua set, and bak mo kuen, and animal sets, oh well)and I would hate to practice a set and not know its name or origin.