PDA

View Full Version : Martial arts in my area

doggitb
10-04-2001, 06:11 PM
The only internal art taught in my area is tai chi chaun i am interested in learning this art but i hear that most teachers just show the health aspects of the art i was wondering that if i go watch a class what should i look for that will show me that it is being taught for martial purposes. i have already asked the instructors assistant and he asured me that it was taught for martial purposes. please give me some assistance here.

Chang Style Novice
10-04-2001, 06:13 PM
Sit in on a class and ask for a demonstration of the martial applications. If you scream in pain, or end up on the floor wondering how you got there, sign up.

gazza99
10-04-2001, 06:32 PM
Ask the instructor if he can uses fa-jin in his applications, as well as the other expressions of power..I believe there is a thread somewhere on here that lists them all.
Also look at the senior students, make sure they look as though they can defend themselves, if they have been their 5+ years and cannot fight dont waste your time.
Gary

"Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong"-Dennis Miller
www.pressurepointfighting.com (http://www.pressurepointfighting.com)

Water Dragon
10-04-2001, 07:12 PM
Pay attention to what the students are doing, not what they are saying. If you get a chance to play, pay close attention to what the techs feel like. Once they touch you, do they control everything? Does the power feel real? fa Jing is really easy to fake. A shudder does not signify skill.

How close is Sanduskey to Colombus? If you can get over there I have a reccomendation for you.

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

wu_de36
10-04-2001, 07:22 PM
WD,

Sandusky is a ways from Columbus for training. Cleveland would be closer.

I'm in Columbus... what's your recommendation?

Water Dragon
10-04-2001, 07:35 PM
You got mail

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom