PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think?

qy
01-06-2001, 12:44 AM
This Gentleman will be in my town soon for some Bak Mei events. What do you guys think about him?
<A HREF="http://www.chongskungfu.com/" TARGET="_blank">http://www.chongskungfu.com/</A>

illusionfist
01-06-2001, 03:26 AM
his chi sao looks good, but i would have really liked to have seen his bak mei in action.

Peace :D

01-06-2001, 03:57 AM
he seems to know the theory/concepts of bakmei, and bak mei is a really nice art so yeah, check him out

qy
01-06-2001, 04:54 AM
I was hoping to hear from someone that knows something about Bak Mei though. (no offense Illusionfist)

kull
01-06-2001, 05:53 AM
It is hard to tell if he knows Bak Mei or not from pic. Only judging by pic. it doesn't quite look like bak mei; arms and elbows are flaired out to side, doesn't seem to use rising and sinking motions, which is fundamental to bai mei. Of course this is biased b/c i'm only looking at still motion pic. of him. But i can tell you Bai Mei is very diffrent than Wing Chun.

Bai Mei has a method of using power unlike any other chinese martial art i have seen. It is very close to way Chen style Tai Chi issues power. Except it is more ferocious and we don't just use power in one puch only like in Chen tai chi.

First form of bai mei is ji bo, everything is built upon what is learned in ji bo.

qy
01-06-2001, 06:02 AM
I can understand not being able to know too much freom the stills. Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if anybody has heard of him. :) :)

01-06-2001, 07:57 AM
the style i practice (yau kung mun) is very similar to bakmei what did you want to know?

DreamLover
01-06-2001, 08:26 AM
Bak Fu ???? and email is BacFuPai@hotmail, but you practice Yau Kung Mun.

What is the relationship there....peculiar????

kull
01-06-2001, 11:10 AM
My advice, if u see this Sifu Chong and he does bai mei and if the power looks the same as wing chun, then he prob. doesn't know bak mei.

I'm not talking bout technique, look beyond technique, look for the way chi,jing,body dynamics is developed and used in bak mei, should be very distinct from wing chun.

qy
01-06-2001, 08:58 PM
#J I like the name change. Pardon me for thinking you were some kind of troll. I don't know what led me to that conclusion. :rolleyes:

WuLin, yeah thanks for pointing that out about #J's profile. You are providing some great service by making sure we all know what #J is up to. :confused: ;)

Kull your advice seems sound. Thanks again.

fiercest tiger
01-06-2001, 11:23 PM
this guy eddie chong, teaches futsan wing chun, his pak mei in the pictures do not have the body or stances of pak mei.

his chi sao is from wing chun, its not pak mei. i have read some articles and seen his web site, it is more wing chun than pak mei. i think he could have cross trained to add to his wing chun.

other pak mei i know dont reconize this guy. :eek:

hope this helps

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

cha kuen
01-07-2001, 10:00 AM
I heard that his wing chun is okay but his white eyebrow isn't.

qy
01-07-2001, 05:37 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I knew you guys would know what was up!

meltdawn
01-07-2001, 07:41 PM
We all talk.

Go and see what he's got.

"Waiting is bad." - Musashi

J
01-07-2001, 11:23 PM
It sounds like no one here has seen him other
than his website. There hasn't been any serious negative comments. Given the level of rhetoric of this group, I'd say it might be interesting to see.

Why don't you re-post at the main KF forum to get a larger audience.

J

BIU JI
01-07-2001, 11:43 PM
That sure sounds like sound abvise J. How's training? ;)

Rolling Elbow
01-08-2001, 12:38 AM
I expected it to be full of limb destructions and combat uses of chi sao, but since i have wathced it once..i have not popped it back in since. He seems pretty solid and fast in his wing chun.., but I don't know what to look for in his Bak Mei. There is probably a reason why WC is his primary art and White Eyebrow his secindary..he probably did cross train as FT suggested. Why instructors have to do this is beyond me..they know a bit of a system and advertise knowing 3 or 4 systems. Just know your own well enough for god's sakes..

Anyway, Chong looks big and powerful...his CD Rom kind of sucks though hehe. I should have read the write up more thoroughly..i want smashing limbs and utter destruction..not chi sao that dances.

Michael Panzerotti
Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

kalos
01-08-2001, 01:46 AM
I'm a student of Sifu Chongs and he generally keeps his wing chun and bak mei seperate. (wich is why I am don't have a lot of knowledge about Bak Mei, I'm a wing chun student)
He learned Bak Mei while he was in Futshan China, as I understand it its a different form (lineage?) of bak mei then what is commonly taught in the U.S.
I do believe he learned it b/c he felt it aguemented his Wing Chun, especially his footwork.
Anyway, he is an amazing Sifu and I'd recomend going to one of his seminars.
btw- Just b/c his Bak Mei is different from what you've been taught or seen doesn't mean its not valid.

jonathan
p.s. please excuse any spelling or grammer errors as I'm going on about 2 hours sleap here.

qy
01-08-2001, 04:12 AM
Especially Kalos and Rolling Elbow.

Where I live we don't get too many "Martial" visitors. Looks like an event that maybe fun and worth checking out.

My friend's Sifu is bringing out Sifu Chong. I appreciate the firsthand feedback. Congrats Kalos. He must be very skilled. No Sifu's make it through a KFO inquiry this well in tact.

Hey J good to see ya! Happy New Year!

J
01-09-2001, 06:57 PM
Hi qy and biu ji,

Happy New Year! I hope all is well! Enjoy the year of the golden snake.

Train hard,
J