PDA

View Full Version : How many different types of SLT are there?

Enree
02-08-2002, 01:58 AM
Hi everyone!

As I've asked in the subject "How many different types of SLT are there?" For Sil Lum Tau, are there different types with different sequences? The one I just learned has 8 "loops", each loop ending with you in a (ma bo?) horse stance and your fists in facing up, by your arm pit, and the elbows are pointing from your back and not to the side. I hope I'm describing it right.

Anyhoo, I was just curious. Are there variations? I ask because I was in another Thread that claimed people were doing SLT for 30min-1 hour, and that lead me to belive there's more than 1 form.

Give me your thoughts.
Take care,
Enree.

Ish
02-08-2002, 03:55 AM
In my opinion there is only one sil lum tao, people do however have different ways if practicing the same form. I dont think that changing the emphisis of a couple of movements can justify giving the whole form a different name.

What you described sounds like my first form.

"I ask because I was in another Thread that claimed people were doing SLT for 30min-1 hour, and that lead me to belive there's more than 1 form."

These people just do the form very slowly, I've taken thirty minutes to do the form before but im trying to increase that.

Hope this helped a bit.

Enree
02-08-2002, 08:39 AM
Hi Ish,

Thanks for replying. In your msg, you stated 1st form. I'm assuming there's a second and third form? If so, is that part of a larger form that I haven't yet learned?

Enree.

Ish
02-08-2002, 09:14 AM
Hi Enree,

Wing chun is made up of 6 forms. Three empty hand forms caled sil lum tao, chum kui and bil jee; there is also a dummy form a pole form and knife form. (Cant remember the proper names) so they aren't really part of a larger form. Im sure some one on here will dissagree with something i said so wait and see what other people say.

Ish

fmann
02-08-2002, 09:26 AM
I would say a more general description is that there are 3 minimum hand forms in WC:

Siu lim tao
Chum Kiu
Biu Jee

Along with a minimum of 3 additional sets:

mook yan jong (wooden dummy)
lok dim boon kwun (6 and a half point pole)
baat jam do (8 directional knives).

Other styles have additional forms or sets but the above 6 are the minimum that appear in just about every style of WC. Also different lineages may use different names for the forms.

Regarding just the first form, Siu lim tao, every lineage probably has slight variations in it, but the general order is usually the same. For example, a tan sao may be in a slightly different place, or a huen sao may make a larger rotation, etc.. Each form is usually modified slightly to fit the philosophy of the lineage.

edward
02-08-2002, 08:54 PM
there's hundreds of slt out there i'm sure... but the question is... what level is 1st grade slt and what slt is phd level.

Rolling_Hand
02-08-2002, 09:23 PM
How many of none Yip Man's SLT out there?

*Pam Nam
*YKS
*Hung fa Yi
*Jee Sim
*Buddha hand

Are there people here from above lineages and like to share their views with us?

Roy D. Anthony
02-08-2002, 09:24 PM
there are no PhD's in Wing Chun. LOL

Roy D. Anthony
02-08-2002, 09:25 PM
There are PhD's that do Wing Chun though.

S.Teebas
02-08-2002, 09:37 PM
I was just curious. Are there variations? I ask because I was in another Thread that claimed people were doing SLT for 30min-1 hour, and that lead me to belive there's more than 1 form.

I think what you need to know Enree, is that there is more than one WAY to perfrom the froms.

Some think the forms are a bunch of movements/techniques that you will use in a fight.
Others think the froms teach power-generation through structure, focusing, linking etc... (training different things takes different amounts of time also)

Train which ever way you feel will be the most benificial to you! :)

Roy D. Anthony
02-10-2002, 08:26 PM
There are actually 5 versions of the Siu Lum Tao form.
Mine, yours, his/hers, ours, theirs.

Sorry I couldn't resist. LOL

yuanfen
02-10-2002, 08:43 PM
One can vary the mine---

my slt is the true one, ours is a lineage,theirs is a blt and yonder is a cult.

Enree
02-10-2002, 09:13 PM
Hi S.Teebas,

It's still a bit confusing. I can see your point in that, pending on why you practice SLT, it can be different due to concentrating on different things. Physically though are the movements any different to the naked eye? Meaning, to an outside observer is can he/she tell a difference? I would think that if an insider (one who practices SLT/ is keen on observing forms) would be able to tell that someone's perhaps stressing slow precise movements vs inner power.

Take care,
Enree.

Ish
02-11-2002, 03:14 AM
From what i've seen and been told, an outside observer would see everyone doing slt differently but an insider would see small differences that don't really matter.

fmann
02-11-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Enree
Physically though are the movements any different to the naked eye? Meaning, to an outside observer is can he/she tell a difference?

Yes. See the William Cheung lineage WC clips on this page and tell me if it's the same SLT that you do:

William Cheung Lineage WC at Michigan (http://www.wingchunkwoon.com/training.asp)

dzu
02-11-2002, 12:04 PM
The real important differences in SNT/SLT require more than just visual inspection to detect. Cosmetic changes will not hide fundamental weaknesses at the core. Even people within the same lineage will practice and learn different things from the 'same' SNT/SLT.

Dzu

anerlich
02-11-2002, 09:56 PM
In TWC there are three versions of SLT practiced. The first is the most basic, with small radius huen saos and no stepping. The second has larger rotations, some stepping in sections, an additional section and some additional movements.

The third has the "secret TWC footwork" which Yip Man taught only to William Cheung ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

yuanfen
02-12-2002, 04:43 AM
The third has the "secret TWC footwork" which Yip Man taught only to William Cheung
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shhhh. Dr. Leung Jan showed that to me while setting a fractured
bone in Gu Lao!! I was a closed door student! I ain't been the same since! Wanna see some pictures?

reneritchie
02-12-2002, 10:00 AM
Joy - There you go shattering illusions again. We all thought Ng Mui was an old flame and you got it all straight from the source ;)

Dzu - Well said (Gong!).

IMHO everyone will have their little differences and some, over time, will become "different" lineages. The key is, do we know what we're doing and why, and does the what and why hold up with where we want to get to? Each and every point can help us train, help us defend, and help us offend (boy that word seems out of place ;) So, how much can we understand from our teacher, and how much can we realize ourselves?

Saam Nim Ho!

Rgds,

RR

dzu
02-12-2002, 10:30 AM
Rene,

I think WC people are experts at offending ;)

In honor of the new year, let me say that I salute you! (give Antony a salute for me too) :)

Dzu

Tom Kagan
02-12-2002, 10:44 AM
How to play good Siu Nim Tao, by Moy Yat (http://www.moyyat.com/snt.htm). I'll fix the IMG tonight.

How many different types of SLT are there?

That's a good question. For me, the answer to that question lies in my answer to another question: How how many times have I played the form?

However, from the point of view of the sequence of movement, I've only seen five distinct variations of Siu Nim Tao practised by descendents of Yip Man (Of which, I've seen two which are practised by some of my Si hings). I am not counting the seemingly infinite variations of flair I have seen from people, especially variations in the opening and closing of the form.

couch
02-16-2002, 11:49 AM
I my WC school, we break down the Sil Lum Tao into three sections, so maybe that could confuse some people.

Does anyone else do that out there?

Couch

Enree
02-28-2002, 10:44 AM
Just wanted to thank everyone for replying. I am more clear now... or am I? :rolleyes: The world may never know.

Take Care,
Enree.

Enree
02-28-2002, 11:00 AM
Fmann,

I forgot to mention, I checked out the site you gave with the video clip. The basic form of it is the same. However, where it's different is the arm movements (and how to get into ma bo at the beginning). The way I've been taught, the movements are more (for lack of a better word) precise. Everything is well defined. When you pluck the blossom and rotate, it's exaggerated in that it's supposed to stretch out everything. Little things like that. So, IMO, after checking out the links you guys gave and doing more research on my own, the core is the same, but yet it's entirety is different.

Enree.