PDA

View Full Version : Bak Mei, Mantis and WC...

Nichiren
02-08-2002, 02:18 AM
I practise WC and for a time now I have followed the posts regarding Souther Mantis and Bak Mei. They seem like very interesting systems that are close to WC in concepts. Does anyone have experience concerning the mentioned systems and are able to elaborate on differences/similarities?

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a Troll thread!

SwaiingDragon
02-08-2002, 06:49 AM
don't forget Dragon Style...also a southern short hand system who shares lineage

Pakmei
02-08-2002, 07:11 AM
Hi there,

I practise Pak Mei, and basically although Wing Chun may share a history alongside the other 3 mentioned styles.

Without going to deeply into it, they are most definitely markedly different in essence, technique, body shape, footwork and stances, etc.

From a Pak Mei perspective, the style pertains to the spirits of the Tiger and Leopard, as well in it's application of techniques.

Pak Mei is an extremely aggressive style, that relentlessly charges forward at the opponent. Much of the Pak Mei stylists power comes from the generation of the 6 powers.

You'll find that Pak Mei, Lung Yin & Chow Gar Mantis are very mobile in attack and retreat (if we ever retareat that is!!).
All 3 styles emphasis very strong bridge hands, that in application go from soft to hard and back to soft again in a split second.

Thats about the crux of it, on a very basic level.