View Full Version : Breathing?

Marshdrifter
02-08-2002, 10:18 AM
In another thread, Yuanfen had mentioned "proper breath
control" and it got me to thinking.

I know that other arts teach a student how to breath when
performing that art, but what about Wing Chun? I'm sure I'm
going to get a lot of different answers on this, but what are
you all being taught as far as breathing goes?

As for me, I was always taught to breathe normally with the
abdomen and to never hold my breath.

whippinghand
02-08-2002, 10:58 AM
Holding the breath is important.

Marshdrifter
02-08-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by whippinghand
Holding the breath is important.

How so?

fgxpanzerz
02-08-2002, 02:54 PM
I think what whippinghand means is that if yor not breathing yor already dead. In that case, hopefully u were a millionare and yor family is taken care of. And that'll be the last fight u ever lose. So in the end... u won!

If yor gonna hold yor breathe, u might as well hold yor c0ck at the same time. Either or will produce the above effects.

Matrix
02-08-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by whippinghand
Holding the breath is important. .......because it's wrong.

Matrix

Roy D. Anthony
02-09-2002, 12:09 AM
Holding your breath is one method of Qigung training. One shouldn't knock it, if one does not understand it.:)

S.Teebas
02-09-2002, 12:38 AM
No way is holding your breath good!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JasBourne
02-09-2002, 08:52 AM
Breathe normally and stay relaxed. Numbah One Rule in Wing Chun: relax.

:cool:

Roy D. Anthony
02-10-2002, 08:13 PM
As I said....holding your breath, is used in some kinds of Qi Gung. Sorry to say S.Teebas, and taught by one of the best Qi Gung teachers in China.:)

Roy D. Anthony
02-10-2002, 10:01 PM
Thank you for agreeing Empty Cup. Sifu Hau is deemed as one of the best in China and is considered one of the Chinese Living Treasures for his QiGung methods, and also lives in Toronto.
BTW.......holding your breath is also a breath manipulation.*S*

Roy D. Anthony
02-10-2002, 10:32 PM
I don't think that, whippy hands response was directed to any subject....it only said Holding your breath is important.
Great about Sifu Hau all the luck to him.
Empty cup..have you ever studied his method?...I have and holding breath is one of the methods he uses.

whippinghand
02-10-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by EmptyCup
holding your breath in an external kung fu does nothing but make it dangerous for the person doing it. [/B]Anything that's real and that works seems to be dangerous for you EmptyCup. Perhaps you should go back to your first love: Karate.

Roy D. Anthony
02-10-2002, 10:52 PM
I have seen him demonstrate his skills...remember I was an organizer for many of the CCKSF.....and United Wushu federation for the longest methods. i studies his hard methods...but taught to me by my Sifu, as he learned them from him.
I also learned the soft style that is called Hm Kam Mei......or Five Animal Frolics.
It is a pity about his son. He was a great Boxer I hear.:)

Roy D. Anthony
02-10-2002, 11:13 PM
Of Course I met him...remember I helped organize the kung fu demos all over toronto and Scarborough. I just never studied directly from him. Remember , i'm the guai Lo who sang the National Anthem at all these events.

Frank Exchange
02-11-2002, 03:20 AM
Back to the topic.

Someone once asked Wong Shun Leung how they should breathe in Wing Chun.

He answered: "So that you don't die".

:)

Nichiren
02-11-2002, 06:50 AM
Nice one Frank:

Someone once asked Wong Shun Leung how they should breathe in Wing Chun. He answered: "So that you don't die".

Why complicate things? It is amazing what good stamina can do to your breathing... ;)

whippinghand
02-12-2002, 03:19 PM
It's amazing what good chi control can do for your stamina.

fa_jing
02-12-2002, 03:37 PM
Breathe out during your force moves, like in weightlifting. Breathe diaphragmatically, meaning your diaphragm lowers when you breathe in. There are two schools of thought on the lower abdomen, expanding with the in-breath is called normal abdominal breathing, while contracting with the in-breath is called reverse abdominal breathing. These movements are independent of the movement of the diaphragm.
-FJ

[Censored]
02-12-2002, 03:43 PM
It's amazing what good chi control can do for your stamina.

I am reminded of a story about Rumi. One day, he went to deliver a lecture in the town square. He started with the question, "Do you know what I will talk about?" "No," responded the audience. So Rumi went home.

The next day Rumi came back, and started with the same question. The audience shouted "Yes!" So Rumi went home.

But whippinghand doesn't seem to go home? ;)

Merryprankster
02-12-2002, 06:42 PM
Empty,

I've heard it this way (I mostly just lurk on the WC forum, not being WC. Sometimes I get interested. Eh.)

If you don't know at leas SOMETHING about what somebody is going to talk about, it does no good for the lecturer to talk--it will all go over your head. Might as well go home.

If you know what they are talking about, the lecturer might as well go home, after all, what's the point of staying?

However, from his last comment, it seems that Whipping Hand prefers to stay and go over the heads of those who don't possess his level of knowledge and bore those who do.

And I always seem to spell possess wrong. Sigh.

Merryprankster
02-12-2002, 07:37 PM
You ever heard of "not knowing enough to ask the right question?"

Certain things presuppose a level of knowledge on the part of the audience. I could ask all day about SLT and I wouldn't learn a darn thing. Make sense?

So if they don't know ANYTHING, then there's no point in staying.

If they already know what you're talking about, there's no point in staying.

S.Teebas
02-12-2002, 11:18 PM
If only those who understand ALREADY know what he is talking about, then he might as well go home b/c 1) he's not helping those who are ignorant and 2) those who already know don't need teaching

You CANT teach the internal side of things over the interent! The millimeter fine adjustments and specifice muscles that need to be identified (wheather for need of attention in regards to be used or turned off, or relaxed or used or a myriad of other things is extremely intricate) ...to improve can only be taught in Person!

Yeah unfornunate, but thats life!

Roy D. Anthony
02-13-2002, 02:37 PM
Here Here, Well Said S. Teebas.:) I couldn't agree with you more!!!