PDA

View Full Version : Why does my middle finger hurt when I use a CoC gripper?

IronFist
02-08-2002, 05:45 PM
On my left hand, when I close a COC gripper (or squeeze something very hard), a pain goes through the middle of my middle finger. It feels like a tendon or something (I'm guessing, I don't really know). Also, if I make a fist and squeeze it as hard as I can, I feel it, too.

Here's something weird, if I wrap my thumb and my index finger around something (imagine like you're trying to open the top of a very very small pickle jar, and only your thumb and index finger will fit around the lid) and squeeze like you're trying to open it, I feel the same pain!!! It's weird, because my middle finger isn't even doing anything then.

Alright, help would be appreciated. Oh yeah, no pain in my hand during DL's. And, I took 7+days off from CoC'ing and I just tried it last night and even with the trainer my freaking middle finger still hurts. But, the pain doesn't start until I let go and hurts immediately afterwards!!! Now what the hell is up with that?

IronFist

Ka
02-08-2002, 06:33 PM
I can't be sure but it sounds like it may be some sort of tendon problem.
Prana will probally have a more detailed answer,as just about every climber I know ends up with some sort of problem in the finger area.
Myself I experienced a similar problem with my left attitude finger,remedial therapy is the way to go,unfortunatly this means rest,rest and more rest (although I used to sqeeze a tennis ball gently).I got into a routine of gentle finger/wrist massge/stretches that I now do on a daily basis.I don't know if you're into to this but try peppermint esstiential oil,juniper oil in a base of jojoba oil.Prescibed by a friend,it seems to work,at least it removed immediate swelling and reduced the ache
good luck

IronFist
02-08-2002, 08:18 PM
There's no swelling, and no long term ache. It's like, now it only hurts when I do CoC. But, even one rep makes it hurt, and it doesn't hurt until I let go of the gripper, which is the weirdest part of all. That's like feeling it in your legs AFTER you do a set of squats, and not feeling anything during. Wait, no it's not really like that. hehe :) Anyway, this is driving me nuts! I want to play with my grippers. Maybe some glucosamine will help.

Iron

Leonidas
02-09-2002, 07:09 PM
Yea i overuse my middle finger too :D But you really just probably made a small tear in the muscle. Just try not to bend it for a few days and it should heal. If not go to a doc'. I have this probelm with my joints sometimes. Its from overexertion (sp?). I just take it easy and let it heal and it usually goes away. Its usually nothing serious

IronFist
02-11-2002, 11:33 PM
******! I ****ing wanna use my CoC's so ****ing bad, but my ****ing finger hurts like **** and I don't want to ****ing injure it more. ******!! I've even had to drop deadlifts from my cycle now because I think the extra stress form holding the bar is keeping my finger from healing.

Iron

IronFist
02-11-2002, 11:35 PM
My Captains of Crush are just sitting here on my shelf mocking me because I can't use them. :(

Iron

Ka
02-11-2002, 11:54 PM
try squeezing tennis balls while your finger is repairing itself,or is it to painfull?I really think you may have damaged a tendon dude,sorry to be such a downer.
slowly slowly does it.
:o

red_fists
02-12-2002, 12:06 AM
Does just one spot on the middle finger hurt?? Like a finger Joint??

Or do you feel the Pain coming up into the Forearm??

Does the same area hurt when you poke it with something??

Sounds like either a Tendon damage or one of your kuckles/Finger joints might be damaged.

Could also be a Bone bruise.

If the pain goes up into the forearm, it is tendon related and you will need plenty of rest and maybe splint to immobilize the Digit.
Either way I would suggest that you see a Sports Doctor.
And take it easy on your training.
Alos think again on how the pain started. Gradually or suddenly and what could have caused that Injury.

red_fists
02-12-2002, 12:14 AM
Forgot one thing.

I am not to happy about those types of Grips, as one of my Gym Instructors told me that the train the Hand irregular.

The smaller digits do the most work and hence those Grips look like such a tough workout.

Reverse them with the Spring facing downwards and you will see what I mean.

The old Eagle Catcher was more fun, but hurt like hell.

I now use a selecton of Balls during Form training to build gripping strength.

Mostly Thumb, Index & middle finger, hardly use the other 2.

The smallest finger actually is hardly ever used in gripping and does add no real strength to the Grip.

IronFist
02-12-2002, 12:36 AM
try squeezing tennis balls while your finger is repairing itself,or is it to painfull?

I don't think that would be too painful. I don't have a tennis ball on hand right now, though.

Does just one spot on the middle finger hurt?? Like a finger Joint??

The pain I guess begins at the knuckle, but I can feel it go the length of my finger. It doesn't go into the hand or forearm at all, though. Just the finger.

Or do you feel the Pain coming up into the Forearm??

No, it's contained in the finger.

Does the same area hurt when you poke it with something??

Not at all. It only hurts when I use tension, like squeezing a gripper, hanging from a bar, or making a really tight fist. Poking it doesn't hurt at all.

Sounds like either a Tendon damage or one of your kuckles/Finger joints might be damaged.

Could also be a Bone bruise.

What fun :)

Maybe with these answers someone will have a better idea of how it hurts, and what it might be?

Thanks,

Iron

Kristoffer
02-16-2002, 05:15 PM
when gripping your c.ock, use the WHOLE hand, this usually reduces damge to your hands when u get old.

Oh wait a sec, :confused: oops, that's not the topic