PDA

View Full Version : ATTN California Peeps; Shenwu Tournament

Braden
02-08-2002, 06:09 PM
http://www.shenwu.com/discus/index.html

Check in the announcement and/or off topic sections. I believe they're in Garden Grove, CA and the tournie is planned for March. Should be interesting both for spectators and competitors.

shenwu disciple
02-08-2002, 11:43 PM
Who says we're letting outsiders in, Braden ;) ?

Mr. Nemo
02-09-2002, 01:13 AM
Are you actually not letting non-shenwu people in, or was your :) emoticon intended to indicate irony? Because the tournament sounds cool.

SevenStar
02-09-2002, 02:41 AM
The recent post about the tourney actually says it's only for academy members and branch schools.

shenwu disciple
02-09-2002, 07:57 AM
We actually weren't going to allow outsiders in, but I'm sure I could convince Tim to let y'all come watch...for a price! :D

Honestly folks, it was just supposed to be Shen Wu members only. I can't speak for anyone but myself, and I didn't think there would be an audience for this little gathering. Guess we'll just wait and see what happens...

Water Dragon
02-09-2002, 08:37 AM
Oh c'mon dude. You train at Tim Cartmell's school, you're having a tournament in which the students he trained will be involved, and you don't think other people want to see it?

Put it on video and I'll buy it!!!

Braden
02-09-2002, 11:32 AM
Oh! *laugh* Sorry if I caused any trouble. ;)

I kind of assumed people would be allowed to watch. Makes sense if they're not though; I know at least one school up here that has regular private tournies just for their students, and they love it.

shenwu disciple
02-09-2002, 05:17 PM
I'm sensing a little hostility from Water Dragon. I think everyone except Water Dragon should be allowed to watch for free :D. Or better yet, Meynard could put some clips of the matches on the website, and Tim could charge ungodly amounts of money to view the clips. I think I like the latter idea better. Thanks for the idea Water Dragon!

Water Dragon
02-09-2002, 06:00 PM
Hey!! C'mon now,
I'm just jealous :D

SifuAbel
02-09-2002, 06:36 PM
Why aren't spectators allowed?

Braden
02-09-2002, 07:49 PM
Abel - It's not that rare, in my experience. Just a venue to support the growth of a school's students. I really don't see what the problem is.

Heh, I know it wasn't directed at me, but I feel kind of responsible for any incurring flak. I swear I was trying to be good! ;)

shenwu disciple
02-10-2002, 08:13 AM
Something to hide? Who, us? :confused:

Well, it looks like we've been discovered. You're right dude. We are imposters. We do believe in chi. You wanna know why outsiders aren't allowed? We're going to be working on harvesting our chi, and shooting thunderbolts out of our asses!

Braden, I've got two words for you: BLAME CANADA!!! :D

Tigerstyle
02-11-2002, 09:51 AM
Your aim would probably be better shooting the thunderbolts out of your eyes or hands. Just a suggestion.

Felipe Bido
02-11-2002, 10:16 AM
Yeah...chi blasts from your arse may rip a hole in your pants if done without supervision

Ford Prefect
02-11-2002, 11:00 AM
If that's the case, then I have abnormally large chi blasts after I drink chocolate milk. **** lactose intolerance.

SifuAbel
02-11-2002, 12:37 PM
Did I say ANY of that? Remember what happens when we assume; You make an ASS out of U and ME.

I just asked why spectators aren't allowed? I've been to many intra-school tournies, what makes yours so special that you can't allow people just to watch? And please, an intelligent answer for once instead of the above flotsom.

Ford Prefect
02-11-2002, 12:59 PM
Working in the service-based profession of IT, I've come to realize that you catch more flies with honey... Something to try maybe.

count
02-11-2002, 01:09 PM
Actually Ford,
You catch more flies with SHlT.

I'd be interested in an answer myself. More to the point, I'd like to hear that spectators are allowed if not outside participants.

Water Dragon
02-11-2002, 01:15 PM
You know, I have no problem with Shenwu having a closed door tourney. Mainly because they also compete in a lot of open tournaments. So they're not hiding anything.

MIKSANSOO
02-11-2002, 01:25 PM
Doesn't Tim post here? No spectators? :(

Knifefighter
02-11-2002, 01:48 PM
Lots of schools have in-house only tourneys. Lots of reasons to keep outsiders from watching- lack of space, working on new techs that you want to bust out in the next open comp, giving students a chance to compete without the stress of spectators. Why let outsiders in to scout your guys unless you want to use the competition to promote the school?

shenwu disciple
02-11-2002, 04:17 PM
TTT

Kristoffer
02-12-2002, 04:02 AM
closed door thournaments are cool, but outsiders should be able to atleast watch the fights.. that's my opinion. I like shenwu's home page, it looks like a good school and I don't think that they 'hide' anything. Tha's redicules (as my spelling LoL) :rolleyes:

shenwu disciple
02-12-2002, 11:52 AM
Thunderbolts through the eyes or hands? Hmmmm, that makes sense...

Tim said that spectators will be allowed, if space is availible. If any of you had actually managed to stop by the Shen Wu Academy, you'd know how small it is. (I still think Tim should charge money).

Aside from the students of the Shen Wu Academy and its affiliates that will be competing, we're also expecting a few participants from some Kickboxing school as well as some of Cleber's guys. It should be fun!

Sum Guye
02-14-2002, 02:26 PM
'ShenWu Disciple' isn't doing much for the ShenWu school's reputation in this thread. (at least each post on this thread prior to the one above this one). I hope everyone has taken him with a grain of salt.

The torney is open to spectators, however, space is limited.
(if all the fighters bring a friend or two the school will be packed).

The torney is not 'closed door' at all. It's a friendly way for the students of several branch and other schools to get together, test their skill and learn more about what they need to work on the most. (side note: folks drop in regularly to watch classes or the Saturday afternoon 'open mat' or just to chat with Tim and have him fa-jing them across the room)

I doubt Tim is charging spectators (he's one of the few out there who aren't money grubbers)- but if he does charge it'll be a minimal amount.

It will be filmed and clips will be posted on Shenwu.com.

No, Tim hasn't posted here, yet.

Phantom Menace
02-15-2002, 01:46 PM
I want to see that Meynard guy take a beating. Who's he fighting?

Sum Guye
02-15-2002, 02:17 PM
I don't know who anyone is fighting yet... I doubt anyone will really know till the day of the tournement.

Meynard rocks. He gets a little crazy when posting on discussion boards, but he is a very, very dedicated student... and is absorbing everything he can like a sponge. He trains really hard and is one scrappy feller.

I'm looking forward to seeing his fight as well... win or lose it's going to be one hell of a fight.