PDA

View Full Version : Want to start martial arts, don't know what to take... Pak Mei?

Hurdoc
02-08-2002, 06:55 PM
I have recently thought of taking up martial arts. Although I'm quite familiar with Japanese arts, I know little to nothing about kung fu. In looking around my city, the only martial arts schools I found were Pak Mei (Bak Mei?) and the other is Wing chun I believe. Of course, there are lots of Kempo, Karate, and Judo schools.
My problem is that I cannot find any practical information on what is Pak Mei like? I want an all-purpose martial art that would help in close quarters and distance fighting. I found information on the other arts but I don't understand what type of skill Pak Mei is. I went to a class and it all seemed good, but given my inexperience, I think every martial art would look good.
Can anyone give me some practical tips on Pak Mei and how it would compare, or fare, versus other martial arts? Thank you!

fiercest tiger
02-09-2002, 02:22 AM
Where do u live? if you are in australia i can put you in contact of some good pak mei sifu's.

:)

Hurdoc
02-09-2002, 06:32 AM
Sorry, I am in Canada...

But what is Pak Mei all about?

Tiger on Duty
02-09-2002, 03:44 PM
hello i study pak mei kung fu and would be happy to give u some info.
it is a short to medium range fist style ie relies more on hands than feet, the kiking is short sharp and generally to the knees and groin it also includes stamping and leg locking and pushing as well, the hand techniques are many and varied but all tend towards vital point attacks eye's, throat, temple, sternum etc.
the style relies on speed and technique and not brute strength it also has long distance techniques so it is good for all ranges but specializes for up close it is extremely aggressive advising all out attack when a situation arises and uses soft deflecting hands in most cases instead of hard striking blocks thou not always.Two hands working in unison is part of the styles philosophy one to deflect one to strike, and most pak mei styles use little chin na generally the chin na or grappling is of the short sharp pulling to get your opponent of balance then release and strike and move on to another technique, thou this varies from teacher to teacher.
It is also a 50-50 mix of internal and external teachings so uses many principle found in tai chi and other internal arts such as bagua and hsing yi thou still contains the hard training like normal kung fu and japanese styles, the footwork is very good allowing movement in 360 degrees while still in one basic stance and actually resembles jeet kune do's foot work thou of course there are also many differences.
hope that has proved helpful i hear that one of the canadian schools of pak mei is very good, it may be the one you went to ask them if they have the internal private only teaching manual if they say yes and can prove it i would highly recommend them, it means they come from very good lineage and their kung fu should be very good but judge for yourself.

Akazmi
02-09-2002, 06:14 PM
thank you for the info, the Pak Mei school is this one www.pakemi.net

Rolling_Hand
02-10-2002, 06:16 PM
Everyone's process of discovery is different. Don't let others speak for you. Apply your own logic to yourself and you'll see why people make certain choices. Between Wing Chun and Bak Mei, or even Chu Gar Tong Long - another powerful southern kungfu. Choose one and follow through with it. Everything will fall into place.

TaoBoy
03-07-2002, 04:55 PM
Finding the martial art that is right for you can take a long time.

I started martial arts training (in Judo) at the age of 8. Then I practiced free style karate and then Northern style kung fu. I now study Southern Mantis. It has taken me 15 years to find the right style for me. I am relating this to show that it can take time. Never get disheartened.

The only way to see if a style is for you is to try it.

To paraphrase an old saying: "What is seen is not the same as what is felt."

Best of luck.

TIger Hand
03-08-2002, 12:16 AM
Everyone gives a good descripition of bak mei.

I just wanted to add that, bak mei does not only kick to lower part of body only. But also kicks to throat, chest, stomach.....etc.

Training is aimed at developing "ging" internal power.

Chin-na is also quite extensive, grabbing, joint locking, twisting, some throws........Although, probably not as extensive as Eagle Claw? or judo.