PDA

View Full Version : need help with two styles Hung gar or Fu Fu- Jow Pai Tiger Claw

tenchi
01-15-2001, 11:54 AM
***WARNING
Excuse my english in that it is very poor and hard to understand at times

Hi,
I have been putting in great thought to looking for another martial art to take up. I went on vacation and when I got back for over a week I sprained my ankle so I am once again(sick fate) having to wonder what school is best for me while I try to recover with this stupid air cast on my leg.

I picked this forum to ask cause I felt I would get the least biased response as oppossed to posting in the southern forum. I am 5'7 with broad shoulders and big legs I in my prime wiegh around 160-185pds.

Everyone says check out a school but they really wont tell you or show you enough of the art to formulate you a valid enough opinion on weither this entire art will work for me.

ANy help is greatly apprechiated =)

--Johnny D =)

P.S. on a side note I know I am new but does anyone know how one becomes a disciple to an art under a teacher?

Battlemycrew
01-15-2001, 06:10 PM
where do you live? that would help trying to find a school.

iamaloser
01-15-2001, 06:53 PM
Disciples are chosen so no matter how good you are it all depends on the master to decide. His decision is based on a lot of things, some of which are spirit, dedication, patience, sincerity, and humility. These come without having to think about and the master will know you have.

WongFeHung
01-15-2001, 08:07 PM
It depends upon two things, first the Sifu: check out a class, see if the personality of the school, Sifu, students is that which you would be comfortable with. If you are not allowed to check out a class, I personally would not go. No matter what anyone says, it is your time,your life you are investing-I'm not even talking about the money. Then the history of the styles, there are alot of similarities between the two, sharing the same foundation. There are good schools and there are bad schools, some schools teach traditionally, some teach a watered down karate/kung-fu hybrid, passing it off as Kung-Fu, some teachers attract a certain type of student. Macho teachers attract macho students, granola teachers attract granola students, each school has a vibe of their own.

tenchi
01-15-2001, 11:54 PM
I live in staten island, New York the only forgotten borough of new york city.

I will try to look around when I can start moving again. Any places you anyone can recommend in any of the kung fu arts

Wah Ren Jie
01-16-2001, 12:52 AM
It's forgotten because they charge you $7 bucks to get in. Whats that all about?!? :p Anyway, there is a Hung Gar school in Staten Island run by Bill Fong. I've met him and some of his students, very solid people. I think one of his students contributes to this forum. Peace.