PDA

View Full Version : Just took a Wing Chun class

PHILBERT
02-08-2002, 08:02 PM
Wing Tsun/Chun. I hurt badly. I used muscles I didnt know I had to chain punch. For 5 minutes. Then another 5 minutes. We did Sil Lam Tao 3 times. Well, I walked in just wanting to check it out, I wasn't really expecting to take the class for free. I was wearing blue jeans, a blue t-shirt and my black steel toed boots. I talk to a few guys there, and then the instructor comes out. Swear to God it was Seven Star with dread locks. He didn't look older than 24. We got talking and he told me I could take that class for free.

Well, we started with Sil Lam Tao, then some chain punches, then Sil Lam Tao again (there was a guy who was gonna come check out the class too and when he arrived we started over). Then more chain punching. It hurt. Bad.

Then we did some pad work, me and the other guy worked on pads. Then he had the other dude work on a balance beam, whatever reason is beyond me. It wasn't like a high beam, only about 4 inches off the ground. Basically a large PVC pipe. Then I had to work on it. Then Sil Lam Tao again.

Tommorrow Emin Boztepe will be doing some tests for alot of instructors. He will be in Plano and the instructor of this school will be testing along with some students and they invited me to go. Sadly I can't, I don't know how to get out there. It would be free to watch, and cost $60 to train with Emin, but I can't go since I have no idea how to get out to Plano from where I am.

Anyway, I talked to the guy after class. Classes are Monday, Wednesday and Friday 7-9 pm. Then again Sunday, I think those days are weight training days (it said to meet at Gold's Gym) at 10 am and 3 pm. $60 a month.

The school itself was kind of small. The main training area at least. It had several wall bags, one good size Mook Yan Jong (no Superman sticker, :( ) one of those punching bags with water in the bottom, and one of those bags that hang from the cieling, then you have a brick holding onto the rope at the bottom to stretch the rope out. Can't think of any better way to describe them. On the walls are how to do Sil Lam Tao, Chiu Sau (sp?) and one other form...begins with a B. Its the third form I think taught. Then there is a picture of the family tree, Yip Man, Emin, and the current Grandmaster of Wing Chun and one other dude, name eludes me (mainly since I never heard the man before).

I am thinking of taking the class. One of the other guys there said he has lost 50 lb alone since June when he started taking it. One other note, the instructor sort of did a 1 inch punch to demonstrate to the other guy who was taking the free class. I had a large, thick pad in front of me, knocked my ass 6 feet back and he was only using about 20% power he said. If he was lying, I don't care, that was the strongest blow with or without pads that I have ever taken in my life.

If I do take the class, I can only go 2 days a week since I am a waiter and Friday nights and Sunday mornings are BIG. He rents out his place at nights. In the back there are 2 rooms, each the size of the main training area. As we were leaving, some band was coming in, they were having a club party or something. He said thats how he keeps the rates so low is by renting the place out at nights. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

PHILBERT
02-08-2002, 08:42 PM
Here is the URL to the website

http://www.dallaswingtsun.com/

http://www.dallaswingtsun.com/pose.jpg

http://www.dallaswingtsun.com/escrima.jpg

The instructor is the black dude in both pictures.

Enree
02-08-2002, 10:16 PM
It sounds like you had a good experience so far. Repost it in the Wing Chun Forum. I'm sure there will be comments.

Take care,
Enree.

qeySuS
02-09-2002, 08:23 AM
hehe that guy has nothing on SevenStar ! :)

JasBourne
02-09-2002, 08:38 AM
I'm all in favor of anyone taking WC/WT/VT. Be aware that wingchunners are an argumentative lot, and way too many get caught up in their 'lineages'. There are generally two reactions to the concept of Emin - love or hate. I personally don't care, I don't study with him.

The balance beam is for balance. Try doing the Sil Lum Tao with one leg raised waist high, see what happens ;)

myosimka
02-11-2002, 08:29 AM
Truer statements were never made about Wing Chun/Tsun and Boztepe. I think you can expand that out to most famous WC instructors. There seems to be plenty of ire/contention within the ranks. Kind of remarkable how pervasive it is in fact. Nobody hates like brothers who hate.

And I am in the hate Emin, camp. LOL. Too much of what I hate in MA. That being said I'd absolutely train with him if given the chance. I just wouldn't tell anyone.

Ray Pina
02-11-2002, 11:07 AM
Glad you are excited.

Things to be mindful of. You shouldn't be knocked back six feet from any single punch, no matter the distance.

Put one foot behind you and plant it into the ground. Now you can control the impact a bit and resist, or at least slow down you accelerated push back.

Ask him about a zero inch punch, that's what really counts.

As for Wing Chun, keep an open mind. I don't consider it a superior system, but I couldn't imagine not having the sticking ability I learned from Chi Sau. It also taught me a lot of good trapping.

In the end, I find it a little busy, not needing alot of the trapping moves because force comes too quick, to powerful for all of that, but the sensing hands is very important.

Just keep an open mind, yet, at the same time, don't rule out common sense. When struck with a question, always think, PUSHING and PULLING.

Don't get too caught up in the hands. Think about the combined force of the object coming at you, the fist is just part of it. How much weight, how much momentum. That's what you'll really have to contend with.

At first, almost forget the arm, envision the 6 foot 200 lbs comeing at you and raming into you. Can you control that force? If yes, then the hand is no problem, just get soemthing on it. You'll learn all that. Its all in Sil Lum Tau, but keep that back foot in mind.

One thing I find in wing chun is the standing too tall/straight. What happens when that guy runs into you. You fall back, or at least bend your back a bit and that's enough to cause big problems.

The sytyle can be good. Don't get caught up in Kung Fu, think practical usage. Can you handle force (not just punch, think tackiling power), can you return it? That's the goal.

Good luck. Enjoy. Have a lot of fun. And do write. Keep in touch.

Peace

Martial Joe
02-11-2002, 11:24 AM
Was this guy with dreads really big?
And did he go to that Ving Tsun conference in 99?

PHILBERT
02-11-2002, 08:51 PM
MJ, I dunno if he was it the conferance. Might of been, this guy certainly was a big guy. You might be able to e-mail him and ask him. Why, was there something he did?

Qi dup
02-11-2002, 09:37 PM
PHILBERT, THat's really cool man! I'm always looking for a good wing tsun school to go to. I think that system has a lot going for it. good luck man!