PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun ?'s from a non-Wing Chun guy

Water Dragon
02-09-2002, 08:51 AM
Would anyone be so kind as to gaive a basic (real basic) breakdown of the art? I have a few specific questions in regards to the art as well.

1. What is the central theme to Wing Chun? (the "essence" if you will)

2. What is the purpose of Chi Sao and what skills does it build. Part 2: how are these skills used in fighting?

3. I've heard from a lot of people that Wing Chun is not known as a power style (in comparison to other CMA) Is this true? If so, how does Wing Chun solve this problem? What makes up for the lack of power?

Thanks

JasBourne
02-09-2002, 09:17 AM
Would anyone be so kind as to gaive a basic (real basic) breakdown of the art? hahahahaha no such thing, we WC'ers write books, not synopsis. ;)

Still, I'll take a crack at it:

Economy of movement.

2. What is the purpose of Chi Sao and what skills does it build.

sensitivity.

Part 2: how are these skills used in fighting?

you can 'feel' what your opponent is doing and is about to do.

3. I've heard from a lot of people that Wing Chun is not known as a power style (in comparison to other CMA) Is this true?

no.

If so, how does Wing Chun solve this problem? What makes up for the lack of power?

there is no 'lack of power'. We use physics and precise body mechanics to generate incredible power (see: 1 inch punch).

Hope that helps. Of course, these are the answers boiled down to their absolute basics. If you want explanations of the explanations, consult any number of excellent books on WC, or alternatively, wait for the sages on this board to put their 2 cents in .

:D

old jong
02-09-2002, 09:29 AM
I'm not a "sage" but I might add the centerline principle to the list. (It goes really well with the economy of motion thing!)
BTW, Nice new look Jas! You got rid of the glasses!;)

OdderMensch
02-09-2002, 10:41 AM

Revenge!

Chi sau is a set of exercises/drills that teach the WC practicioner(sp?) the proper body movments and the proper responses to varying degrees of force, or pressure. As my Sifu puts it "the Chinnese say that you have two arms but only one brain, it can do one thing at a time. that "thing" can control one arm, one arm conected to your stance, two arms, or two arms connected by your stance."

the "skill" is both that "stick" and the body awareness that you must have to use the WC system. A good example : I was "touching hands" with a SiDi of mine and affter a bit i found i could "confuse" his hands because I was already countering his attacks as he made them I was able to remain calm and observe this as he became "a bit agitated" now inch for inch he is stonger and faster than my slow weak form but since i could feel and repond with "the conditioned response of chi sau" I could always get a half a beat or more "in front" of him. I have often seen the other side of this of course :) when my hands touch my SiHings.

the "Sueng Chi Sau" or double rolling hands (that you always see) is just small part of the "familiy" of Chi Sau

3. I've heard from a lot of people that Wing Chun is not known as a power style (in comparison to other CMA) Is this true?

define "power style"

If so, how does Wing Chun solve this problem? What makes up for the lack of power?

we muddle by somehow. I have heard that WC lacks power, that Tai Chii lacks speed, that Hung Gar lacks flow and that Bagu lacks pushing on trees ;) then I remeber that the five tones deafen the ears and go right back to the study of my chossen style.

I hope this helps, I have been sick with no comper for a week or so. Now that I am better and have access again I will try to post more informitivly and more often, with more new and wonderful spelling and grammatical errors!

S.Teebas
02-09-2002, 07:41 PM

Attack..... from everywhere.

It tests you. It tests the things you learn in the forms. eg your ability to absorb enormous abounts of force and redirect it to a place which is of a more advantageous position for you (so you can attack!).

It also teaches you to stick, which can over time teach you to have an seemingly inpenetrable defence.

hmm... probably more stuff too, this is just off the top of my head.

Stops you from getting hit. Helps you hit them.
(does that seem like a SIMPLE answer??)

3. I've heard from a lot of people that Wing Chun is not known as a power style (in comparison to other CMA) Is this true? If so, how does Wing Chun solve this problem? What makes up for the lack of power?

Not true. On one occasion my instructor was asked to demonstrate the inch power (commonly known as the one inch punch).
Through a thick pad, and from the range of 1 inch without pulling back.. my instructor broke the guys chest bones (as in the area above the solar plexus, and below the colar bones.... im not sure what the proper term is for this area) Of course this was an acident and he was extremely appoligetic after.

But anyway, if that doesnt seem like power to you, then i think your looking for an art where you can punch holes in their body.

Akuma
02-09-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by S.Teebas
[B]

Not true. On one occasion my instructor was asked to demonstrate the inch power (commonly known as the one inch punch).
Through a thick pad, and from the range of 1 inch without pulling back.. my instructor broke the guys chest bones (as in the area above the solar plexus, and below the colar bones.... im not sure what the proper term is for this area) Of course this was an acident and he was extremely appoligetic after.

But anyway, if that doesnt seem like power to you, then i think your looking for an art where you can punch holes in their body.

Well that's one thing(1inch power puncy) but I doubt one could generate that type of force through standard punches and kicks etc, right?

S.Teebas
02-09-2002, 09:00 PM
Well that's one thing(1inch power puncy) but I doubt one could generate that type of force through standard punches and kicks etc, right?

This type of power can be generated through all limbs, be it punches, kicks, elbows etc...

This guy when demonstrating kicks, could give me a dead leg through a thick pad also. (this type of power made me want to be able to do it too, i guess his method was to inspire you to see what was possible... it worked!)

S.Teebas
02-09-2002, 09:09 PM
He wasn't a sifu. And i left that school as he had working commitments that would not allow him to continue teaching. (he was the reason i trained at that school)
Everyone knew him as gifted, in his understanding of structure, body mechanics and WC knowledge in general.

Id rather not mention his name on this forum, but i will say he followed Tsui Seung Tin's method.