PDA

View Full Version : Learning from a book?

drunkendragon
02-09-2002, 01:33 PM
I have this book entitled "The Complete System of Self Healing Internal Exercises" By Dr. Stephen T. Chang. It's supposedly a system of Chi-Kung developed by the Yellow Emperor, it goes through all kinds of things - " Crane Breathing", "Deer Exercise", "North Star Meditation", "Immortal Breathing" etc. Ever heard of those? It warns about practicing slowly and gradually or you will experience a "disintegration into madness". With this in mind, do you guys think i should bother? Would it be safe?

Sam Wiley
02-09-2002, 01:53 PM
Well, Robitussin in small doses is okay for most people, but if you drink a couple of bottles of it, it will drive you insane (at least for a little while) if it doesn't kill you. So I say, when in doubt, double the dose! Go for it!

No, seriously...You might start learning something from a book, but pretty soon you're going to need someone who knows the stuff to make sure you're doing it right. Best to start looking up someone who knows the system if you want to study it. That way, you're sure to be doing it right.

I've never heard of those names, though. But of course, I haven't heard of a lot of stuff that's out there. I swear that I think some people out there just make up their own qigong exercises and slap mystical-sounding names on them to sell them. Be careful.

MonkeyBoy
02-09-2002, 02:37 PM
Books on the internal were only a help to me after I studied the Tit Sin Kuen and that took years to get to.

Even then, only some of what I read made sense. Before that, when I tried to learn such things from a book, it was a waste of time. I wouldn't try it without an instructor.

Are you training now? If so maybe taking the book to your instructors and asking them what they think would be prudent.

TaoBoy
03-07-2002, 10:19 PM
For the sake of safety, refer to someone who knows about these things. There is no need to risk injury. Often these books are guides at best. It doesn't matter how well it is written, the book can never replace a flesh-and-bone instructor.

Drone
03-10-2002, 02:44 PM
What taoboy said.
I think that it is important that you have some sort of human guidance, later on in life you may find that what you were doing (via the book) was harmful rather than helpful.