PDA

View Full Version : the 10 elements of choy lay fut

RAIN
02-09-2002, 04:49 PM
in the phil's web page , he explain the 10 elements of choy lay fut . my question is if the choy lay fut students make this 10 punches all together like a special exercise or are only a theory .?
i mean , in hung gar , the student can stay in sei ping ma with his fists on his sash and make the basics punches and blocks . but the techniques of choy lay fut are always combinated with another and force to change your stance .
my question is how you exercite your individual punches ?

RAIN
02-12-2002, 09:47 PM
. . . . . . . . .

extrajoseph
02-12-2002, 10:34 PM
Seeing no one answers your question, I will have a go at it.

The names of the 10 seeds (or elements to use your term) of CLF vary according to whom you ask. My version is Chun, Pun, Gwa, Sow Charp, Pow, Kup, Bil, Ding, Jong. They are but 10 of the more than 30 hand or fist “Cheu” techniques we use.

Normally, they are not done altogether at once. For the beginners, we train with two or three combinations first. For example Pun Charp (2), or Gwa, Pun Sow (3), etc. and work our way up to 5 or 6 combinations, usually combine with footwork and kicks also. It is best to train with combinations that you can change your direction of attack and defence all the time. For example, kick low and hit high, circular defence follow by straight-line attack and so forth. You should be quite good if you can do 10 combinations non-stop and that would become part of a set and that is how a form is constructed.

By the time we look at the seeds for the hands, for the legs and footwork, for the body, for Chin-na, for palm strikes, etc. we have a comprehensive vocabulary to construct the language of CLF. Please don't ask me for a copy of the vocabuary, I am still working on it!

JosephX

RAIN
02-13-2002, 12:21 PM
thank you for you answer . i got that now and i think choy lay fut is one step beyond others styles ( not for be better or worse ) only for the way the techniques are combined one to another like a chain . every style got techniques 's chain but in northern shaolin , for example . you can separate them , but in clf they always are combinated .

the more diverse are the kung fu styles more like it .

extrajoseph
02-13-2002, 01:36 PM
As a system, CLF has a very clear structure. It has 3 levels like going to primary, secondary school and university. It is like a language in the way things are put together. It is both comprehensive and specific at the same time. Once we get to a certain level of understanding, it is very creative and liberating form of martial art. I never get bored with it and there is always something new to learn in CLF.

nospam
02-13-2002, 04:34 PM
aint that the truth.

nospam.
:cool: