PDA

View Full Version : Wongsifu, Repulsive Monkey, Mantis, TjD, etc.

prana
02-10-2002, 05:20 PM
Om Ah Hum

I wont need to introduce these symbols to you guys :) (or girls if anyone else is here)... I am wondering if anyone uses the sounds to "energise" energy centers ? And if you do how so ?

I have been doing a fair bit of chanting out loud and it works well, especially the 6 syllable Om Mani Padme Hum mantra and the vibrations flow appropriately down ... and although I tend to practise whatever is taught to me faithfully, I am curious at how the sound actually energises the appropriate chakras ? Rinponchela has never said to chant outloud (not explicitly) though he does, but I know some schools of thought say so explicitly....eg.

My first master taught that chanting it like singing (Namo Amitofo) aloud is good, but I couldnt understand why. I am curious in terms of the "chanting out loud" reason. He was a great Qi-Gong grandmaster, but he emphasises chanting this mantrum aloud.
And at what tone ? Like what if a girl was to chant the same mantrum, would the vibrations be different ? Why do the yogis who meditate specifically on these syllables have extremely deep voices ? (and how it brings much peace to myself personally to hear the chants)
Also Brahmans believe this Om to be chanted out loud and meditated upon. Why so why such ? How does that affect the prana (Qi)

Thanks guys....

prana
02-10-2002, 05:29 PM
In your other response, you were telling me a story about your friend seeing your stomach chakra as bright red, because you were doing some healing to it.

May I ask, what do you do in your practise to heal that energy center ?

Thanks dude. I hope you see this message...

Nexus
02-10-2002, 09:11 PM
This may not directly address your question but I have a story to share:

Recently I was in washington visiting family and my Aunt brought me to a Synagogue which she attends which is a Meditational Synagogue. About 100 people or so, it was for the Jewish holiday of Tu B'shvat (The Celebration of Trees).

Anyways, to skip a bunch of details, the entire congregation does a Shalom meditation. Shalom translates to Hello, Goodbye, Peace, and several other possible translations in hebrew. Anyways, there are 3 vocalists who sing at the front of the room and a lady on the violin. The vocalists and the Rabbi who also has a beautiful voice begin singing "Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmm" and I participated. It was very powerful and moving and energizing, and at one point I became totally consumed in the Ommmmmmmm.. I completely connected to it and I became the noise for a split moment, and coming back out of it I felt full of life. I recommend the omming experience to others, and although I don't know the exact science of it and its effects, doing it in large groups can be very healing and rejuvinating.

Prana, you have any more stuff to share about ohming? Also I have done a chi kung type ohm where we do Shuuuuuuuuuuuu.

- Nexus

prana
02-10-2002, 09:31 PM
great story man ! :) Could be something, many people believe in healing through sound and song. Of course you would already know :)

Hmm unfortunately, I have not much achievements from my brief practise of chanting Om out loud except I love listening to Lama's chant in temples. However, whilst most people think it is quite "scary", I find it peaceful and relaxing.

One time when I was chanting OOOOOOMMMMMM on the dining table, some described a horrible sensation in her head, like it is resonating and she hated it. I think that is just because I sound like a goose more than anything.. :D

I usually prefer meditating quietly, but I am quite curious.

Nexus
02-10-2002, 09:45 PM
Well the ultimate yin and yang of ohming is much the same, that is to mean, a meditator of a very high degree who can reach a very high level in their ohming on their own would be producing the same effect that a person would receive if they participated in a giant group of people who were all ohming in unison. That is at least the idea.

Yin and Yang being the same at extremes. That may be how I was able to connect to the ohming that I had never before participated in, whereas if I were to have tried it on my own at home, I might have seen much less in terms of effects and energy.

Just some things to think upon.

TjD
02-10-2002, 11:55 PM
the only chanting i do is "om mani padme hum" :)

it definately helps fill me with a compassionate energy

sometimes i start my meditation chanting that for 15-20 minutes or so; it really helps get me focused and relaxed

it seems to help connect my whole body; and it helps to prevent my mind from listening to its own babble if im in one of those moods

as to anything deeper, i dont know... but ive read there are many many many benefits of chanting om mani padme hum :) :)

peace
travis

JAZA
02-11-2002, 06:57 AM
One ignorant question prana.
You name Rimpochela, is this one Lama of Tibet?
I also love the cants of lama monks, when Dalai Lama visited my country the monks sings and was extremely vibrations like hearing the deep space.

Repulsive Monkey
02-11-2002, 08:52 AM
my only experience of Ohm Ahh Hung, is directly through reading Tulku Thondups lovely little book on Tibetan Healing Meditations. I have used it to purify thoughts and wash away bad emotions, although I have not used it daily to perpetuate ongoing health in body, mind and spirit as such Prana. I have little experience of Mantra's although I do do the Toaist healing sounds to strengthen my organs most mornings. From that context and my understanding of how that works to bring balanced health in my body, and with my experience of Taiji, Chinese Medicine and other practices I feel I appreciate recitations and mantras more so nowadays.

Wongsifu
02-11-2002, 10:12 AM
hi prana i responded to your e-mail but here goes about the sounds.

Basically we are all made up of energy rite ... now everything in this world can be quantified as a wavelength light / sound etc , also in the spectrum of wavelength we cant see is energy , so it is possible to measure chi , with a chi- o - meter ... i know it sounds corny but anyhow.

If this wavelength of energy were also translated into a sound it would release a certain frequency, basically as the pure current of energy shabd or logos or tao or whatever comes down from the higher realms it reverberates and this reverberation is like a thunderclap ripping asunder the clouds only this doesnt rip asunder the higher planes instead it fills them with music , like the sage pythagoras says music of the spheres.

When it filters lower to the astral plane this energy creates the reverberations which filter through into the chakras , if you go inside to the astral plane and listern to the sound of the crown chakra it actually makes the sound aum.

in essence it just sounds like aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm mmmmmmm

and it reverberates, thus when you make this sound with your physical body you tune in to the frequency of aum and it makes your crown spark......

simple but effective, in a way though its low level because you are physically bringing through a fake version of the inner sound.

originally it was done to remind people of the sounds you should look for , nowadays people have lost it so they just chant aum, same as the bell sound in temples it used to be played to remind people of what they seek inside, however this was *******ised so people hit the bell and think they are going inside:rolleyes:

the church kills it one step further by having the people go to the church and get holy light by lighting up a candle :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

take care

prana
02-11-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by JAZA
One ignorant question prana.
You name Rimpochela, is this one Lama of Tibet?
I also love the cants of lama monks, when Dalai Lama visited my country the monks sings and was extremely vibrations like hearing the deep space.
Hi JAZA :)
Not ignorant at all, Rinponche-la is the title given to the Boddhisattva masters. Translated to something like "precious", they are like the Lotus flower out of muddy water.

Basically, they would have to have undergone a retreat in the land of the snows, live in a cave for 3 years 3 months 3 weeks and 3 days, in solitude. When they emerge, they would need to prove their meditation by melting a block of ice by sitting on it in the land of snows.

They devote the rest of their lives (and future lifes) to help people who seek spirituality, heal sicknesses and deliver the deceased. Instead of going to Dewachen (or some other Buddha realm) they come back as a Sangha to spread the teachings of Dharma, to suffer in the realm of samsara with us for our good.

In otherwods, Rinponche means Precious one, Reincarnated Master, Boddhisattva. "La" is a sign of respect, as Tibetans call their teachers Lama-la :)

Hoe that helps a little.

prana
02-11-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey
my only experience of Ohm Ahh Hung, is directly through reading Tulku Thondups lovely little book on Tibetan Healing Meditations. I have used it to purify thoughts and wash away bad emotions, although I have not used it daily to perpetuate ongoing health in body, mind and spirit as such Prana. I have little experience of Mantra's although I do do the Toaist healing sounds to strengthen my organs most mornings. From that context and my understanding of how that works to bring balanced health in my body, and with my experience of Taiji, Chinese Medicine and other practices I feel I appreciate recitations and mantras more so nowadays.

Hi Repulsive Monkey, have you learnt the teachings of Dzogchen from your master ? Do seek for it.... it is so precious :)

Repulsive Monkey
02-12-2002, 08:00 AM
I have been redirected to a senior student of a Tibetan Lama, who is empowered to teach Dzogchen teachings/meditation. I am to begin within the next month or so. I have so many issues in my own life which I need to reorganise/sort out prior to starting this new chapter in my life. However as I commence I probably will be in constant thread contact with you Prana. I am currently co-reading 3 different books on Dzogchen, whilst juggling everything else in my life.

guohuen
02-12-2002, 08:40 AM
Hi Prana! Thanks for the reminder on the power of sound. In regards to Nexus' story, it reminds me that what I've read and discussed with my friend the Rabbi, Kabala is pretty much the same as all the other great meditative traditions. For me I think part of it is one and the same as Chan.

prana
02-12-2002, 04:27 PM
Repulsive Monkey

Although you need to understand that Dzogchen is far different from what I practise, my PM box is always open so if you need to ask anything at all, please ask away :)

it reminds me that what I've read and discussed with my friend the Rabbi, Kabala is pretty much the same as all the other great meditative traditions. For me I think part of it is one and the same as Chan.

Guohuen

Good show, Buddhism is not about a religious sect, and it is good that you reminded me :) It is a technique for discovering the nature of the mind, and can be practised by any faith.... Thanks for your reminder ...

harry_the_monk
03-08-2002, 01:56 AM
I use The mantra you mentioned at the beginning of my meditation to calm my mind and syncronise my breathing to each sound.
I also recite the om mani padme hum both to myself and then increasingly louder at the end of my meditaion period so that all beings may be blessed by the power of the mantra.
We are taught that certain mantras which are to be repeated are best done at the loudness of a bees humming.

Prana, it was the day after you sent me an e-mail back in last summer that my fortune was to find 4 tibetan nuns walking near my home, I now go to their centre for my teachings.

prana
03-08-2002, 06:29 PM
Harry_the_monk,

That for me, is true happiness !!!!.

HRIH
OM MANI PEMME HUNG

As the sutras used to say, when you reach enlightenment, please don't forget about me (the rest of us)

:)

hehe

harry_the_monk
03-09-2002, 01:50 AM
:)

HRIH
Om mane peme hung

:D

One of the main reasons I still come back to this site is because of the joy I recieve from discussing and reading of the wonderful experiences people are having on their path to enlightenment.

When enlightenment comes I hope that all with be with me....;)