PDA

View Full Version : Baguazhang

Pawa-eri-to
02-10-2002, 08:45 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knew of a good school in the Seattle Wa area that teaches the marital aspects of Baguazhang.

hkphooey
02-11-2002, 01:32 PM
it might rain here, but it's a bagua desert!!!

i know of only two places to study: andy dale (in magnolia), and randy ross (who's a student of Master Park). i really liked randy's class but it's a bit $$$. i've been trying to get some interest in a yin style study group (ala Dr Xie and Jinbao)....let me know if you have some interest...

Golden Arms
02-11-2002, 03:19 PM
Hey Pawa-eri-to,

Did you call our school last week asking if we taught bagua ? I can try to hunt you up some resources if you need to know if there is any in Seattle area, just write back.

-Golden Arms-

Pawa-eri-to
02-11-2002, 07:47 PM
Wow thanks, I would be interested in any info you might have although I would probobly only be able to start training during the summer (All my time is curently taken up between my studies and Kendo)
Golden Arms: I dont know If I did or not, I have called several schools in my area, what school do you attend? I'm really struck by how hard good martial arts instruction is to find in Seattle. It seems like most of the schools in the phone book are money hungry and teach "street combat Gung Fu" or "Shaolin style Gung Fu." Alas, thats the way it is, so anyways, if you have any info drop me a message at Shell_remote@hotmail.com
Thanks in Advance

hkphooey
02-12-2002, 07:28 AM
i'll send you an email later today and let you know everything i know about bagua in seattle. i too have been on the path you now tread. i'd be interested to hear what Golden Arms has to add as well.

YiLiJingLei
02-17-2002, 05:28 PM
Hi, there,
I moved here to Seattle a couple years ago from the midwest. I was going up to Vancouver, BC to study from an amazing septegenarian teacher there we fondly referred to as "the BaGua Yoda", but because of new family commitments (son born last month), I won't be able to make the trip so often anymore. My senior classmate & good friend recommended I check out Dave Harris, who teaches at the Phinney Ridge Center (same place where Randy Ross's Park Bok Nam group practices). I finally had a chance to meet Dave Harris last week, and am excited about starting in a couple weeks (financial delay). I've checked out Randy's class, as well as Andy Dale's BaGua Class, and the Taoist Studies Institute in Greenwood (instructor Harrison Moretz), but I wasn't as impressed with these other schools as I am with Dave Harris--he mostly teaches applications & various hand-drills, and the other schools teach mostly forms without much explanation of underlying principles, from what I saw in my brief encounters. I suppose it all depends on what you're looking for. There's also a contemporary wushu club down in Chinatown that offers some bagua forms, if that's what you're into.
Anyway, maybe we could all hookup sometime, if you're all local?

Kevin Wallbridge
02-18-2002, 05:12 PM
Dave Harris rocks! I got to met him a few years ago a conference in Vancouver put on by TT Tchoung's club, and I had the good fortune to be his demo dummy for a chin-na lecture. He has one of the most subtle touches that I have had the good fortune to experience and he is a great guy. I'd train with him if I was in his area.

Several times I have been able to learn from Andy Dale at Taiji camps, while he is not so martially oriented his knowledge of Bagua is boundless. I think Zhang Jie just core dumped on him for a few years there. Andy really inspired me with many nuances of Bagua basics that have laid a great foundation for all that I have done since.

(Dave Harris and Andy Dale were classmates together under TT Tchoung and Yueng Fook, by the way)

YiLiJingLei
02-18-2002, 09:43 PM
Hey, Kevin,
I visited Nelson, BC about a year and a half ago--wow, beautiful town. I'd really like to visit there again someday.
Do you know a Martial arts teacher/TCM doctor up there named Mike Smith? I had the great fortune to have a senior classmate from Vancouver introduce me to Mike. Totally amazing. One of the most talented/skilled martial artists I've had the privilage to meet. Mike kicked my a** with such finesse, that I was awestruck and giggling--enjoyed every second of it.
I agree--Dave Harris is amazing. SOOOOO glad I found that guy!

hkphooey
02-19-2002, 12:23 PM
ok ok...dave harris' name has come up about 10 times in the last couple of years. i guess it's time to go check him out...

YiLiJingLei...email me. i live at Greenlake.
mydharma@
yahoo
.com

Kevin Wallbridge
02-19-2002, 02:23 PM
Hello YiLi...,

Yes I know Mike Smith, he is my close Kung-fu brother and frequent teacher. Did you know that Mike's teacher from Kingston, Eric Tuttle, is now in Nelson? We have a pretty hot martial arts community for a town of 8000 people.

Cheers

YiLiJingLei
02-20-2002, 12:49 AM
Hi, Kevin,
Nice to meet you "online". Please send my best regards to Mike; he was very hospitible to me during my weekend visit there a couple Julys ago. My 'Big Bro' in BaGua, David Meikle introduced me to Mike--have you met Dave? We've been wondering how Mike's been doing. Hopefully, we'll be able to take another trip up to Nelson for a weekend this summer. I already thought Nelson was a cozy little paradise, but with such a great martial arts community up there, it sounds totally irrisistable.
Thanks, Kevin, best wishes to you.

Sincerely,
Dennis

Kevin Wallbridge
02-20-2002, 03:10 PM
Hi Dennis,

Yep, Dave Meikle is another brother of mine. I haven't talked to him since the fall. I guess its time to rattle his cage and see what he's up to.

I'm often away training in the sumertime, but if I'm here I'd like to help show you some of the country and perhaps cross-hands if you like.

Cheers.

hkphooey
02-20-2002, 04:32 PM
hey kevin

sorry for changing the subject a bit...but do you have any thoughts on the TCM school in Nelson? can't remember the name now off-hand, but i'm sure you know what it is.

any info/insight would be useful. thanks!

Kevin Wallbridge
02-21-2002, 12:27 AM
Hi hkp.

Yes I know the school, the Academy of Classical Oriental Sciences, I helped to found it in Nelson and I currently teach there. Therefore, I can't give you an unbiased opinion.

You can find the website at www.acos.org

I think it lists the current calender and such. Its a tough program and very academically demanding. We make the students learn Mandarin and read classical texts in the original. Some people feel we should spend more time hands-on needling and such, but the feeling here is that you get lots of practice needling as soon as you are working. You can learn the techniques in an intensive weekend, after all, but we think the graduate should know why they are choosing a point of needling, not doing so just because it suggests so in a particular reference.

I tell students in the first week that if they just want technical skills they should find an easier program, but if they want to go to high level they will get the tools you need from the Academy. Technicians are crafty, but healers are artful.

hkphooey
02-22-2002, 08:57 AM
excellent answer. you have hit on one of my primary issues with TCM programs in north america.

i may email you with more questions....

thanks!

hkphooey
02-22-2002, 02:40 PM
will you email me (see about 7 entries above) so i can ask you some questions about the school? thanks.