PDA

View Full Version : ba gua circle walking, leaning into the turn?

Stacey
02-10-2002, 09:21 PM
This is what you do with three wheelers and It helps me to pivot faster, the same goes for tai chi turning.

Is this common in ba gua?

Ray Pina
02-11-2002, 12:58 PM
I just got into internal a year ago. I just begun the Ba Gua walking recently so I don't fully undersand your question.

I grew up in New Jersey, Kearny, right out side of Newark. Are you in North or South Jersey? Where do you train?

Don't mind my noseyness. I now a girl who is taking Taiji at Montclair and would to refer her somewhere when she's done.

I suggested my teacher, but I don't know if she has it in her to commute to Chinatown.

Peace
Ray

Sam Wiley
02-11-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Stacey
This is what you do with three wheelers and It helps me to pivot faster, the same goes for tai chi turning.

Is this common in ba gua?

What exactly do you mean?

Waidan
02-11-2002, 05:55 PM
In my (admittedly limited) experience, you shouldn't lean into a turn in an attempt to increase your rate of rotation. Keeping your hips and shoulders level and your spine vertical is key to maintaining your balance and proper alignment.

"Leaning into a turn" may help to increase speed through momentum, but doing so will seriously limit your ability to change direction suddenly (certainly a big part of bagua) or keep your balance if attacked from an unexpected angle.

YiLiJingLei
02-17-2002, 05:46 PM
You should never "lean to the inside" in BaGua circle walking, as the emphasis should be on stable, rooted stepping, not how fast you can walk in circles. Focus more on turning your body and waist towards the center (that's what describes the size of the circle you're walking), instead of turning your head & hands towards the center of the circle. Turning the waist/body towards the center develops coiling power for useful applications. Instead, ask yourself "WHY walk in a circle--what is it for?" Hope that helps, keep training hard.