PDA

View Full Version : Ngo Cho Kun(5 ancestor fist kung fu)

lungyuil
01-10-2001, 06:14 AM
anyone know about this system. i've seen it in the magazine and seems very similar to other short hand systems.just curious as to what it's like considering the stances are similar and the ging principles are the same as YKM,BMP,BFP etc.

Shaolin Master
01-10-2001, 06:36 AM
It actually differs a little more than you think

lungyuil
01-10-2001, 07:07 AM
can you please explain the differences. interested to know.

baochui
01-11-2001, 08:59 AM
Hello lungyuil,

I trained in the Ngo Cho Kun for a few years, and have limited exposure to a couple of other Southern Fist Systems, but I cannot detail any differences from one to the next--at least not with any concrete accuracy, so I won't. But, I can say that the Ngo Cho Kun is a great system: strong, powerful, ballanced. I now train in the Goju-Ryu of Okinawa, and I see MANY connections between the two. Though I feel that the Goju works on a more simplified level, the potentials are the same. I see Goju as a possible (maybe partial) decendent of the Ngo Cho. The Sam Chien kata, the hour-glass stance, the stead-fast, non-retreating ideals of the movements, the focus on conditioning and the destruction of th opponents' weapons as immediate goals, etc. These are MY interpretations only, but I think there fairly on-the-mark. There are some amazing people out there doing this system, the most impressive and powerful that I know of is Alexander Lim Co Sifuu of th Philippines: he has a series of video tapes out. These tapes are a MUST if you plan on learning about this system. Well, hope this helps a little...take care.

Respectfully,
Baochui

lungyuil
01-11-2001, 12:06 PM
baochui,
thanks for the information. always interested in expanding my knowledge of other southern arts. the system seems young and am curious what styles the founder of the system learnt to create this style.
thanks again i may look into it more. :)

Kristoffer
01-12-2001, 08:22 PM
For quite some time ago, I downloaded this... First it seemed like crap,, but when you dudes started to talk about it then i got curious.

<A HREF="http://kungfu.framtid.nu/Video/JockeSet.avi" TARGET="_blank">http://kungfu.framtid.nu/Video/JockeSet.avi</A>
<A HREF="http://kungfu.framtid.nu/Video/CederSet.avi" TARGET="_blank">http://kungfu.framtid.nu/Video/CederSet.avi</A>

uhhhmmm,,,,,??? Is this the real 5 ancestor style? :confused:

~K~
the super-duper supreme

Biejo
01-13-2001, 12:15 AM
Looks like karate to me!

Ben Gash
01-13-2001, 12:59 AM
Lungyuil, 5 ancestors was actually created by a group of masters from 5 systems (hence the name). These styles were Taizhu longfist, Lohanquan, Fujian crane, Monkey and Damo style.
The clips look like someones learned a (very) little bit of Wuzhuquan and mixed it with TKD (this sort of thing used to happen in Europe a lot in the '70s, and some of the clubs are still out there). While most people generally see the shorthand crane aspect, it is not solely a shorthand art, and contains orthodox longfist forms.

"Weapons are the embodiments of fear,
the wise use them only when they have no choice"
Lao Tzu

lungyuil
01-13-2001, 05:04 AM
BEn,
thanks for the information. never heard of it until i saw it in the Inside Fung fu magazine so i was curious to find out more about it. :)

Waidan
01-15-2001, 08:40 PM
Five Ancestor Fist Kung Fu : The Way of Ngo Cho Kun
by Alexander L. Co, Alexander L. Co

I've seen this book in local stores, and it's available through Amazon.com. Apparently it contains a good amount of info on the history of the style, and contains details on two core introductory forms. Probably a good buy if you're interested in learning a bit more about the Five Ancestor system.

whitelion
02-13-2001, 08:05 AM
Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I have trained in Shaolin Wu Chu for about 14 years now. I can honestly say that whether it is the best style around or not, I think it is fantastic.

As to the differences with other styles, I can't claim to be an expert so I won't comment.

------------------------------------
Talk softly and carry a big stick.

whitelion
02-13-2001, 09:35 AM
lungyuil:

Ngor Chor was developed by Baik Yu-feng during the Yuan dynasty(1271 - 1367). Essentially he brought together the best masters he could find, amongst them were 5 outstanding masters, each with a specialty.

The styles of the 5 masters were: Tai Chor (first emperor style), Pak Hok (White crane), Lohan (Immortals), monkey (the Chinese name eludes me), and Ta Mo (Boddhidharma).

The style in its current incarnation resulted during the Ching dynasty when the Manchurian troops destroyed the Shaolin temple at Songshan. Monks and lay students proficient in many arts, Ngor Chor amongst them, made their way to the Southern Shaolin temples where Ngor Chor found its current home.

Hope this helps some :)

------------------------------------
Talk softly and carry a big stick.

02-20-2001, 02:59 AM
Why waste your time in this style,train and research more into the 7star step praying mantis it has been proven to conquer all other kungfu styles during the MANCHURIAN DYNASTY ,5 ancestor fist kungfu ,was put together by a group of peasants

kelvein chan