PDA

View Full Version : Maybe this will prove interesting to some of you...

Martial Joe
02-11-2002, 11:33 AM
I have not trained in months, but I think I have gotten better.
I stopped training so my wing chun skill didnt get better but I have figured out how to use what I can do more effective because of the way I think.
I am a bit more hostile when it comes to wing chun,I took the skill I have and just got abit more agressive.

I am going back to train real soon...

Martial Joe
02-11-2002, 11:58 AM
I think I figured out how to fight usuing wing chun...thats all...

Eh,it is kinda funny because I have only been in a couple fights and they were a long time ago...

churn-ging
02-11-2002, 02:16 PM
I have found this to be true from time to time. Usually, after I have reached a plateau where I'm not learning anything new or I'm just not getting any better with my techniques or sensativaty, I find that if I take a break from practicing for a while and come back to training I'll usually be better than before. I think for me anyways is because during that time off, I'm usually think about ways that I could make my wing chun better. Whether its being more relaxed, being more aggresive with my techniques and stuff like that. I don't know why that is. Maybe it's because if I constantly train, I usually get confused with all the stuff that I have learned and I get a kind of information overload or something like that. :D Do any of you experience this from time to time?

diego
02-11-2002, 03:38 PM
had to hit the bag slow taichi style but i would get frustrated, so i would hit with crazy tension, but relaxed enough to not stretch my stitches.
OHMYGOD, when those stitches came out and i sped up,
AMAZING.
Scientifically what do you think this moves-on?.
Curious.
Hm i don't do wing chun, either!.

diego
02-11-2002, 03:41 PM
As i would stretch the stitches, if you hit those platues, dont do drills or nothing, just do bagwork, iron palm type training routines, and do heavy Horsework.
Then get back into sparring after a week of two of straight conditioning, AGIAN
OHMYGOD:D

Martial Joe
02-11-2002, 06:31 PM
Do any of you experience this from time to time?

Yes...

diego
02-11-2002, 06:44 PM
You can't answer your own thread, you brought up the subject.

CanadianBadAss
02-11-2002, 06:48 PM
Joe... You havn't been trainning? ha, now I might have a chance of winning... But its still about a month away.
oh, btw my mom messed up her foot, so if it doesnt heal in time for the marathon I won't be able to go...

Martial Joe
02-11-2002, 08:38 PM
diego~Oops!!!

Paul~You will probably kick my ass man...haha...

anerlich
02-11-2002, 09:48 PM
I went to Britain for a three and a half week holiday last October (flashing heavily about Sep 11). I deliberately didn't do any training at all to let a few injuries heal.

My flexibility increased marginally, my cardio dropped maybe 5% and my coordination decreased noticeably. After a couple of weeks back in training, I damaged my sacro-iliac joint while rolling BJJ with my teacher and spent another week convalescing. I felt that if I'd kept up my stretching and ab and core strength training this wouldn't have happened.

Interesting experiment - it convinced me I'm better off to keep training while on vacation.

mun hung
02-12-2002, 10:34 AM
Due in part to the flu and a stressful career - I took a couple of weeks off from training. Surprisingly, I came back totally relaxed and even more focused than before. I believe a good break sometimes is good medicine for both body and soul.

Jeff Liboiron
02-13-2002, 01:02 PM
One time i sprained my wrist, and didn't train for 2 weeks. When i started again i was faster somehow.

But now i have an injured elbow, and haven't trained for 2 months so...we'll see what i've lost

Martial Joe
02-13-2002, 05:07 PM
Or gained...

Jeff Liboiron
02-13-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Martial Joe
Or gained...

touche, Joe :) i guess we'll see in a few days when i start up again

Martial Joe
02-18-2002, 12:37 PM
yes...

Jeff Liboiron
02-18-2002, 02:37 PM
have you started training again Joe? I have, and i'm starting physiotherapy on friday to :)

Ish
02-19-2002, 05:13 AM
have you ever thought that mabe you just forgot how good you were and havn't realy improved

SAAMAG
02-19-2002, 07:34 AM
Hey Joe how are things going for you? As far as the taking time off and coming back a bit better, I have experienced this too in many facets.

Although this is just an educated guess, here is my theory:

I believe that a lot of people over train, meaning they are pushing their bodies to the limits without giving it time to heal. This is also known as hitting the wall, or reaching a plateu (sp).
Taking that time off allows your body to both heal itself and rebuild in terms of muscle, and also it allows the body to better assimilate movements as the muscles are healing. So you may come back with better speed and power etc.

The only other theory that I have on this really is that sometimes people can become mentally blocked, where their progression is hindered by their lack of enthusiasm, or because they are "burned out". Taking some time allows you to "want" to come back and reform yourself into the martial arts loving machine you always have been!

Well thats about it. Take care in your training, and all the best.

Martial Joe
02-19-2002, 01:01 PM
Vankuen...it was definitly a mental thing.

There is no way I even got into shape doing my wing chun all the time.