PDA

View Full Version : Sifu Tony Wong from S.F.

churn-ging
02-11-2002, 04:35 PM
Sorry people, should have been more clear with my post.

No, I am not talking about Tony Wong from Toranto. I am talking about Tony Wong from San Francisco. He is a Chen Tai Chi teacher. His profile said that he learned from Zhang XueXin and Chen Qing Zhou. But I don't really see much else about him like how long he trained with each of them and stuff like that. That's why I am asking people here. You can check out his website

Tony Wong (http://marina.fortunecity.com/victory/273/)

Tell me what you think about him. Also, if you have any experiences with him, please tell me about them. Really considering learning from him, but like I said, won't get a chance to visit his class probably for another two weeks or so.

churn-ging
02-11-2002, 04:42 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to start a new thread on this subject. Still trying to figure out how to use this forum.

Anyways, here the same list of questions that I was asking on the other thread.

1. Does he know what he's talking about?
2. Does he teach the health aspects of tai chi?
3. Does he also teach the applications?
4. Does he give every student personal attention at every class?

If you know anything about him, please tell me about it.

RAF
02-11-2002, 08:41 PM
I do not know Tony Wong personly but I have been to Chen Qing Zhou's village/training hall and identifiy strongly with his version of lao jia. He is a great host and has my respect.

http://www.wutangcenter.com/2000Trip/China2000.html

I do not think you could go wrong studying under Tony Wong. Chen Qing Zhou comes to the United States frequently and his sons also do the same. He has been in the Cleveland/Akron/Canton area several times and most students that study with him really like the material.

You could buy Chen Qing Zhou's tape and see if you like what you see.

Kumkuat
02-11-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by churn-ging
Sorry, didn't mean to start a new thread on this subject. Still trying to figure out how to use this forum.

Anyways, here the same list of questions that I was asking on the other thread.

1. Does he know what he's talking about?
2. Does he teach the health aspects of tai chi?
3. Does he also teach the applications?
4. Does he give every student personal attention at every class?

If you know anything about him, please tell me about it.

1. From his posts he does seem knowledgeable

2. most likely

3. dude, just about every taiji teacher teaches "applications" now. It's the new fad.

4. duuno about that.

You know, since he learned from Zhang Xue Xin, what not learn from the source himself? ZXX definately has the skills but of course, since he is so popular there are a lot of students in his classes. Terry Chan is another choice for good chen taiji in SF.

churn-ging
02-12-2002, 11:48 AM
I have heard about Terry Chan before. But I don't know where he teaches in SF and how to get in touch with him. If anyone on here has any info please post it because I would be more than happy to check out a few sifus before I make my decision.

As for Zhang Xuexin, I would definitely be interested in learning from him, but he teaches in golden gate park which is kind of hard for me to get to since I don't have a car. Also the times that he teaches is hard for me to make.

If anyone else on this forum has any suggestions for a chen tai chi sifu in SF that they think I should check out, please post the information on here. I would really appreciate it.

Kumkuat
02-12-2002, 12:14 PM
actually, if you have no car, I don't think Terry Chan could be reached. I think he lives in the berkeley area, not SF area. Sorry for the wrong information. Try Tony Wong, it won't hurt. I think there is also a guy named Mikel ... something or rather. I can't remember his last name. I heard he's pretty good as well.

churn-ging
02-12-2002, 01:13 PM
Actually I live in Oakland, but go to school at SF state. There are no buses that are close to school that would take me to Golden Gate Park, that is why I can't go and learn from Zhang Xuexin.

But if Terry Chan teaches in Berkeley, I would definitely be able to make it to his class if its close to bart or something like that.:(

But anyways, the only reason I am asking about Tony Wong is because he teaches close to my school and there is a bus that takes me straight there.