PDA

View Full Version : Tam Tui ?

draco
02-12-2002, 08:25 AM
I would like to know the name of the movement that is in Little Praying Mantis and 3rd form. Your in a cat stance with a low block, then swing the right arm back with the right leg (like a rear leg rise) bring the leg back with a low circular two knuckle punch.

Kind of looks like throwing a bowling ball.

What's the name of the move and what do you imagine the move is showing or represents?

please

NorthernMantis
02-12-2002, 08:43 AM
Come again?You tottally lost me there.Are you sure you have the right forms?

KNH13
02-12-2002, 10:36 AM
Go through the form and you'll see what he's talking about.

Now, were you taught this form, or are you just talking about what you saw? You should ask your teacher.

I don't know the chinese name for the technique but if you follow through you'll see that it's just an upper cut with you building up a lot of momentum for the punch.

You end up in a 7 star stance with a forward punch.

NorthernMantis
02-12-2002, 01:34 PM
Ok I see now.Hey KNH are you going to come to the lion dance performances?Haven't seen you in a while.

draco
02-13-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by KNH13

I don't know the chinese name for the technique but if you follow through you'll see that it's just an upper cut with you building up a lot of momentum for the punch.

You end up in a 7 star stance with a forward punch.

Although a technique can be viewed as many things left to the imagination, I view it as a defensive technique from a kick. I absorb the energy from the kick with my leg and guide it with the hand or hook and step into a punch to the pelvis area with return energy. The punch is not so circular that it may be more of a U in shape in its return.

But I would still like to know the name and other ideas of what you see in this technique.

Why not ask you?

have fun...

Hua Lin Laoshi
02-14-2002, 12:15 PM
There is no name for the 'movement' as far as I know. Not every group of techniques has a name. What your talking about is done differently in the 2 forms you mentioned and others. Sometimes low block/Chow Choy, sometimes elbow/Gwa Choy/Chow Choy. It's just a sequence of individual moves. Did you ask your Sifu about this combination? How long have you been in Wah Lum?

draco
02-15-2002, 11:20 AM
So a sequence has a name and the two forms mentioned are slightly different in sequence leading up to this combonation, I understand that.

Could we name the sequence?

It is not proper to ask how long I have studied Wah Lum. I have also studied other styles such as yourself.

We have looked at this combonation and it is left to the imgination (no real conclusion). I just find it very interesting, don't you?

thank you Sir

Hua Lin Laoshi
02-15-2002, 12:37 PM
Not proper???? I've never heard of such a thing. The reason I ask is that I suspect you are not in Wah Lum at all. I'm not bashing you for it. Feel free to pick apart anything you come across in Wah Lum but like I said in another thread I'm not going to teach Wah Lum Kung Fu on a public forum. If you're really interested then join a Wah Lum school. If I'm wrong and you are training at a Wah Lum school your Sifu should be able to answer all your questions.

Wah Lum schools are open to anyone but that doesn't mean we explain all our techniques to anyone who asks. Sorry if I'm a little short but for all the complaining about Wah Lum there sure seems to be a lot of interest in our forms and techniques.

I know what the moves are and I know how to use them. Yes, I do find that combination interesting as well as many other combinations in Wah Lum.

The Pong Lai school is very open about material. Maybe one of them will give you some insight into applications for those moves.

P.S. If you've been in Wah Lum for some time but don't understand or wish to discuss those moves then drop me an e-mail.

Tainan Mantis
02-15-2002, 03:01 PM
Draco,
You started from cat stance low block. I believe it is a right 7* stance with left hand high and right hand push low(a takedown, not a block).

name: chun palm. Chun is a type of push.

This is followed by:
feng beng. left sealing hand, right smash.
This is as you are running forward.

tiao- bao- cha chuei. lift -grab(hug)- add a punch.
This is where you end in the right 7* stance.

These techniques are for PM and not related to Tan Tui. They are the common techniques found in many schools of PM.
Of special note is that the solo version of different styles look different while the partner versions are the same.

draco
02-16-2002, 12:57 PM
Thank you very much Tainan Mantis Sir, this was exactly what I was looking for but I did not seem to know how to ask.

>These techniques are for PM and not related to Tan Tui. They >are the common techniques found in many schools of PM.

I agree with that statement whole-heartedly... I have no boundries. ;)

draco
02-16-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Hua Lin Laoshi
P.S. If you've been in Wah Lum for some time but don't understand or wish to discuss those moves then drop me an e-mail.

Thank you Sir.

have fun

yu shan
02-24-2002, 10:26 PM
Tainan Mantis
As always, thanks for your posts, I think we all learn from your intellect,I hopefully will see you in March,in Taiwan.My WL Shrfu drank coffee from a Big Gulp,but my Pong Lai Shrfu brings up bruises and bleeding.