PDA

View Full Version : Most Important Stance?

Water Dragon
02-12-2002, 11:17 AM
What is the single most important stance of your system and why? What does it develop? Where does it take you? How does it influence your other stances? Note, I know that all the stances are important, but I’m curious as to that one stance that is the foundation of all others. But, if you don’t have a single stance that does the job, what set do you use and why are those stances necessary?

Arhat of Fury
02-12-2002, 11:24 AM
In my opinion this is an obvious answer-horse stance. This stance is the foundation to all CMA and most other systems. This is where our training starts. To put it quite simply.... this is like asking a basketball player what shot on the court is the best to master. This would be the free throw shot because this is the only shot that every player is guaranteed to take numerous times during his career. The horse stance will enable you to become stable on your feet and is the pre-cursor to all other stances.

AOF

Ray Pina
02-12-2002, 11:26 AM
The one you happen to be standing in. Better make sure you have the ability to change from it, have a good pushing and pulling angle too.

Merryprankster
02-12-2002, 11:26 AM
One that is properly balanced.

Other than that, go play. Wrestling and boxing are both staggered, but so what, as long as you can throw a punch, shoot the takedown, and not fall over, the issue of "stance," isn't a very useful one.

Just don't cross your feet while you move :)

DelicateSound
02-12-2002, 11:38 AM
The one that is best for that situation.

apoweyn
02-12-2002, 11:51 AM
plausible deniability. without a doubt, my favorite stance.

okay, serious answer: my practice doesn't really have stances beyond the 'sparring stance.' basically a boxing stance. perhaps a little higher, to allow for faster kicking.

stuart b.

JasBourne
02-12-2002, 11:51 AM
The most important stance: upright.

:D

Shooter
02-12-2002, 12:05 PM
"Poised like a scale, lively as a wheel....your center of gravity displaced to one side"
-Tai Chi classics

"Make your ordinary bearing the bearing you use in martial arts, and make the bearing you use in martial arts your ordinary bearing"
- Miyamoto Musashi

The stance of no-stance is the most important....stance.

Black Jack
02-12-2002, 12:10 PM
"The one your are standing in."

**** skippy

Water Dragon
02-12-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
One that is properly balanced.

Other than that, go play. Wrestling and boxing are both staggered, but so what, as long as you can throw a punch, shoot the takedown, and not fall over, the issue of "stance," isn't a very useful one.

Just don't cross your feet while you move :)

Merry, Actually, stances are a kind of footwork training. In fact, most stances end in "bu" which means step in Chinese.

Problem is, most people don't get that. He.ll!!!! I didn't get it for a while. But the idea of fighting out of a stance is, IMO, ludicrous.

Merryprankster
02-12-2002, 01:11 PM
Water-

Nah, I pretty much agree:

Forms=Shadowboxing/wrestling.
Stances=footwork...

That is, they equal footwork as long as you are DOING something with it instead of, as you point out, FIGHTING out of it.

I guess my point was more that I've seen guys with a very staggered stance and guys with a more neutral stance (like Judo) and guys with a very narrow stance (very fast people usually.) and they all worked because they were well balanced, vice a "stance"

Water Dragon
02-12-2002, 01:16 PM
So, in light of Merry's above post, let me rephrase the question.

What is the fundamental stance/step/footwork of your system?

apoweyn
02-12-2002, 01:18 PM
triangular footwork. advancing and retreating on a 45-degree angle to your opponent. facilitates zoning, mostly.

stuart b.

Merryprankster
02-12-2002, 01:19 PM
I'm sorry... I'm making things annoyingly difficult.

My apologies.

Shooter
02-12-2002, 01:21 PM
The only stance/step/footwork in my system is that of the opponent.

Water Dragon
02-12-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by apoweyn
triangular footwork. advancing and retreating on a 45-degree angle to your opponent. facilitates zoning, mostly.

stuart b.

Hakka?

Paul
02-12-2002, 01:37 PM
Hakka?

Filipino?

Water Dragon
02-12-2002, 01:40 PM
Yup, could be Filipino or Indonesian as well.

fa_jing
02-12-2002, 01:41 PM
Our most important stance is the Bai Jong or forward stance. This stance, unlike some other CMA stances, is used both to initate and terminate most of our movements. It offers mobility, stablity, ability to kick from the front or rear leg, protects the groin, and angles the body to present a small target. Our most important steps are the following: Shuffle step forward or back, exchange step forward or back, side shuffle either side, embracing step forward or back, 3-angle step. There are a few more steps but I've never used them in sparring and would not rely on these in a confrontation. The most important of these steps is the shuffle step forward.
Another step/stance I like is to sink from my Bai Jong into a deep horse, throwing a body shot with the lead arm. This isn't part of Wing Chun.
-FJ

Repulsive Monkey
02-12-2002, 02:09 PM
to be honest I totally disagree with you on your generalisation. Not all CMA are fopunded or find the most important stance is the Horse stance, far from I would say. In Taiji the Peng stance (from an energetic point of view) is considered the base plate of postures to work with. Plus someone has already quoted the Taiji classics by saying stand balanced like a scale but with the weight dropping through one foot or one side of the body. The horse stance in Taiji is condiered impractical due to Yang Cheng Fu's commentary of it displaying double-weightedness. I am not dissing to eternity just saying that not all Chinese Martial arts consider it too be important.

Arhat of Fury
02-12-2002, 03:49 PM
RM,
I can agree with you that I should have said most CMA arts use this as foundation.
So lets go back to water dragons question so I can answer this right!(according to my opinion)

"but I’m curious as to that one stance that is the foundation of all others. But, if you don’t have a single stance that does the job, what set do you use and why are those stances necessary"?
My reasoning for my first reply is this;(these are opinions)
Most CMA styles will start with the horse stance and has started with horse for years upon years is because this teaches you the foundation to KF which later leads to rooting and power generation, which evolves into the essence of KF.

Just my tidbits, not a blast.

AOF

SevenStar
02-12-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon

Hakka?

My guess would be Filipino.

Silat uses the triangle, but they use squares and circles also, I believe.

EARTH DRAGON
02-12-2002, 09:20 PM
I would love to answer Water dragons post about footwork, for our stlye is named based on footwork, not many styles realize the importance of correct foot mobility. Please everyone dont take that as an insult or a my style is superior over yours but not too many systems are based on the footwork alone..... . actually only 2 systems are named after their feet. one of which is 8 step praying mantis which is by far the most advanced footwork of all the chinese systems.... so I would like to post just a few for you to compare.

BA BU – ( LONG LEAPING STEP ) FLYING FOOTWORK
CHUANG BU – ( LONG STEP ) AT AN ANGLE
DAI BU - ( CROSS STEP ) SIDEWAYS
RU WAN BU – ( FAKE STEP ) IN ONE DIRECTION MOVE ANOTHER
NOU BU – ( CIRCULAR STEP ) SIDEWAYS CIRCULAR FAKING MOTION

Paul
02-12-2002, 11:08 PM
8 step praying mantis which is by far the most advanced footwork of all the chinese systems

If by advanced you mean complicated that isn't always a good thing. Furthermore in narrow or crowded spaces (hallway, alley, bar etc.)- fancy footwork ain't going to be of any use to you.

As far as Hakka having triangular footwork. I guess you could say that it is there. I don't really know how it looks in comparison to the Filipino stuff though, but I think some of the ideas are the same.