well i have Trained half year now
well i saw these two senior Students Sparring
and it looked like Kickboxing they didnt use
the low stances and only punch and kick
is this Normal when i was Training Karate
we were Closer to basic Than that( when we Sparred) we Changed
from Different Stances using trapping
push, Grab ,Locks and so on
is this Normal or just a freak Accident?
i have Heard all this stuff about Kung fu being
Fluid well i have seen Karate Practioners That
Flowed Much better than whatt i saw
i am just Wondering beacause i really Want to
use what i am Being Taught and Not just well Kick and Punch

.........,,,,,,,, Spread it Your self

lungyuil
01-11-2001, 02:21 AM
Sparring depends on the level of the students and the way it is taught by the sifu. In YKM, when we first start sparring especially at beginners level my sifu gets us to use hands only with gloves and practice our hammer strikes, block punch etc from the first form, second or whatever.
then as we get better we progress into using more techniques, takedowns etc from our forms and by that time we progress to no gloves but groin guards, helmets, body padding etc, where one attacks, the other defends using techniques finding openings working on timing etc. Until it gets to the stage when you go all out using everything you know then it looks great.

the sifu might not know how to use the forms in fighting and if he cannot understand that and reverts to kickboxing when sparring the he doesn't understand his Hung Ga.

Then again, do the students understand their kung fu. You need to find that out. they may be seniors but might not understand how to use the techniques in fights. No matter how many times you show something to people they might just not get it.

the thing that you need to do is talk to your sifu and ask him these questions because if you are not happy don't train there. he might only show certain things to certain students who show him that they want to learn.
:)

[This message was edited by lungyuil on 01-11-01 at 06:29 PM.]

Lucky Red
01-11-2001, 03:57 PM
i dont know How long the Guys who were
Sparring Have Trained but i really like the Club it has a friendly Atmosphere and the instructors
are very helpful i havent really Seen the Sifu
Sparred With anyone yet but i have Heard that he
is good (outside the club)

Thank you for Replying to my post

.........,,,,,,,, Spread it Your self

jutsow
01-15-2001, 06:23 AM
well then go back to karate and stop wasting our time with your stupid questions.

Wah Ren Jie
01-15-2001, 07:59 PM
This is a problem that may or may not be the instructor's fault. When I began sparring at my school I would think about the technique we may have drilled in class, try to use it, fail and revert to kickboxing. It is up to the student to perfect the technique he/she is taught. Only when it becomes second nature will one be able to use it successfully in a fight. Keep your kung fu in mind when you spar, If you can't use it yet and you're getting your butt kicked, take that butt kicking until you can make it work. Usually what comes naturally to an untrained fighter is kickboxing, Kung Fu movements are not natural so it is only after it has been drilled into your head will you be able to use it. It happens to all of us. Peace.

Kevin73
01-15-2001, 08:22 PM
I think it's because in general, sparring and self-defense are two different things. CMA train for self-defense which has alot of different outcomes in it for the attacker's motive. By that I mean, is he ****ed because he thought you were looking at his wife? Is he someone who wants your money?

Sports/sparring leaves out this entire aspect of it, and many techniques are not easily adapted to this method. Sparring has no goal really of what to accomplish, you just hit the other guy more and make him submit or whatever. In self-defense your opponent gives you the stimulus whether it is a punch/kick/push etc. and you "work with" and blend like the CMA are meant for.

Just my opinion from what I have observed of real fights (work in law enforcement) and watching sparring/nhb matches.

"There are many who talk of the Way, but few who walk the Way."