PDA

View Full Version : Stickfighting in Kenpo

Badger
02-12-2002, 01:29 PM
Anyone care to explain the theory & method behind Kenpo Stickfighting and how it compares to Filipino stickfighting.

Badger

Black Jack
02-12-2002, 01:43 PM
There seems to be some FMA influence in Kenpo's stick and knife methods.

It looks different but I have seen hu-bud and palisut in there training, they called it something else, but it looked filipino to me, the kenpo systems always seem to have an open mind on other training methods, they should just give credit where credit is due.

JWTAYLOR
02-12-2002, 04:14 PM
Exclusively "Kenpo Stick fighting" doesn't really exist. I know you will find some super high ranking black belts to dissagree with me, but they're full of sh!t.

Kenpo DOES have some basic stick/club sets and drills. But as far as something like an entire system or anything more elaborate than just basic combinations, they aint there. Not American/Ed Parker's Kenpo anyway.

Much of the Kenpo done now is HEAVILY influenced by the Philipino systems, largely because of a man by the name of Huk Planas. A great guy altogether.

Sticks and knives do well in the Kenpo system, and there isn't a whole lot of adaptation to our techniues to add a stick or knife to them. There is a club set, and there are numerous defenses against clubs and knives.

But that is different than a system built around those weapons with those weapons specifically in mind.

As it is, Kenpo stickfighting envolves empty hand kenpo techniques modified to fit the weapon, and allot of Escrima.

Oh, and I always like to mention the influence of Texas Sifu Gary Swan when mentioning American Kenpo and weapons.

JWT

JWTAYLOR
02-13-2002, 07:52 AM
Man, I was REALLY expecting some ****ed off "grandmasters" calling me on this one.

JWT

apoweyn
02-13-2002, 08:55 AM
i'm surprised too, JWT. i was taking eskrima when 'the perfect weapon' came out. the local american kenpo school did demos at several showings. (i saw it in the theater a couple of times.)

invariably, someone would ask them whether he was doing eskrima with the sticks. and invariably, they'd get very bent out of shape. "no! it's nothing like eskrima!!"

eskrima. not eskrima. whatever. but to claim that anything involving two sticks is literally NOTHING like eskrima is daft. even if one had NO influence on the other, the flowing approach of kenpo is similar.

it's nice to hear from a kenpo practitioner who doesn't regard that as an insult of some sort.

stuart b.

Badger
02-13-2002, 09:25 AM
Also is there a Wing Chun influence in Kenpo?

Badger

JWTAYLOR
02-13-2002, 10:57 AM
None that I have found.
JWT

Taomonkey
02-13-2002, 03:27 PM
"Anyone care to explain the theory & method behind Kenpo Stickfighting and how it compares to Filipino stickfighting."

Yep, they are exactly the same, hit your enemy fast and hard repetedly until they fall.

JWTAYLOR
02-13-2002, 08:43 PM
Come on now, no self respecting Kenpo man would every quit hitting a man after he was down.

Haven't you learned Dance of Death?

BTW, just bought a new Compaq laptop. VERY FRIGGIN SWEET.

JWT

don bohrer
02-13-2002, 11:03 PM
Later this month I hope to be training in Kali with a new sales guy at work. Once I catch hold of the concepts and theories I will let you guys know what I think and how well it blends into Kenpo. This guy also studied Kenpo and JKD back in the day.

GreyMystik
02-14-2002, 12:09 AM
traitor. you know i work for mike. ;)

tsunami surfer
02-14-2002, 09:17 PM
We do kenpo karate at the school i train at and do stickfighting and it is called(drum roll please) Kali Escrima and the Phillopeno's(did i spell that right) get full credit.

Shaolindynasty
02-14-2002, 09:30 PM
I don't think any philopinos care where the kenpo guys say they get their stick fighting from.

kenpo master does stick demo

Kali fighter "Hey that looks like something i would do, I demand to be in your ads/website/newsletter and you must bow to a picture of me before and after every class you have."

Kind of ridiculous isn't it? I mean if Kenpo incorperates kali into it's system doesn't it become Kenpo stickfighting? Especially if it is somewhat kenpofied right?

jaz1069
02-14-2002, 09:31 PM
What's wrong with you guys?!?

Everyone knows that if you want to know anything about Kempo then you must watch, Jeff Speakman's, Perfect Weapon! :D

apoweyn
02-15-2002, 07:38 AM
shaolindynasty,

i don't think any eskrimadors are asking for royalties or anything. i don't even think it's a point of pride. (not for me, anyway.) just curiosity. in the same way you're curious about shaolin history or current events, i'd imagine.

personally, i like making connections. seeming similarities in technique, concept, ideology, etc. that's my rationale for chiming in.

stuart b.

myosimka
02-15-2002, 09:14 AM
Why not give credit where due? I do kali stick work from time to time. I teach a myo sim karate class. Students who see me working invariably ask, "When do I get to do that in Myo Sim?" (cuz' let's face it: 2 stick drills look bada$$) My answer in in myo sim never. But I'd be happy to start showing you kali today. I sometimes teach stick defense drills loosely based on kali. I always call them what they are. Why would I call it myo sim stickfighting?

For those of you that read IKF, Sifu Richardson wrote an editorial on this a few months ago. Big issue amongst MMA people. Give credit where due.

JWTAYLOR
02-16-2002, 05:53 PM
There are three reasons for not giving credit where credit is due.

First, your an a$$hole who thinks since he does a sinwali drill with an unballaced club instead of a rattan stick he has created something entirely new and now gets to take all the credit for his "new art".

Second, your some a$$hole who has so little self confidence and so little to offer of your own you feel you must take credit for everything just to get some respect.

Or, finally, your some unlucky SOB who learned from one of the above a$$holes and just don't know any better.

JWT