PDA

View Full Version : Best stand up kung fu art ?

eaglefist
02-12-2002, 03:20 PM
Aside from muay thai and western boxing whats the best stand up art as far as" Chineese" martial arts go ?

Paul
02-12-2002, 03:24 PM
what is this? some kind of trick question? Everyone knows that Tae Kwon Do is the real street lethal.

Water Dragon
02-12-2002, 03:27 PM
Sounds like your speaking about solid striking? If so, I'm going with Hsing Yi or Southern Mantis.

eaglefist
02-12-2002, 03:31 PM
What's your opinion on choy lay fut being a realistic standup art?solid striking art or not?

Water Dragon
02-12-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by eaglefist
What's your opinion on choy lay fut being a realistic standup art?solid striking art or not?

If you're asking me, I don't
know anything about Choy Lay Fut.

KC Elbows
02-12-2002, 03:34 PM
Arts that generate power like hsing yi.
Arts that manuever as well as pa kua.
I would imagine there's lots of arts that do so.

I'm going with Bob Klein stuff, and those who crosstrain Klein's graceful stance work with Temple Kung Fu's solid lineage will have it made.:D

BAD KC!

I'm very sorry. I just couldn't help myself.

eaglefist
02-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Hsing yi? im not familiar with that art could you please explain ?

Water Dragon
02-12-2002, 03:42 PM
www.emptyflower.com

www.rovere.com

Those two should get you started.

eaglefist
02-12-2002, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the help.

Black Jack
02-12-2002, 03:50 PM
It's not Chinese per say but I am going with Bando.

bustr
02-12-2002, 03:55 PM
BaJiQuan

eaglefist
02-12-2002, 04:02 PM
Ok heres what it breaks down to. There are two schools in my area that are reasonably priced and the hours are what im looking for eagle claw kung fu, and choy lay fut i need something that will be street dependable....your opinions ?

Merryprankster
02-12-2002, 04:05 PM
from the xingyiquan overview on the website Waterdragon posted

Done correctly, Xingyi strikes are extremely dangerous. That is why there is no sparring: if the punches are pulled or muted in any way, they are not Xingyi. Thus, Western boxing and karate cannot help the Xingyi boxer to sharpen his skills. In this respect, Xingyi is similar to the ancient forms of some Japanese martial arts, which have remained the same over the centuries because of their difficulty and intrinsically dangerous natures. If regulated, restricted, and made sportive, such arts, including Xingyi and Bagua, lose their essence.

OOOOOoooooookkkkkkaaaayy. I'll remember that.

Note to self--don't screw with a guy who doesn't spar. He might kill me with one strike.

I'm willing to bet, however, that some of these schools spar! Them I might wanna watch out for.

Black Jack
02-12-2002, 04:10 PM
Holy crap it actually said that...you know what they say Merry, beware the one legged man who does not spar...or was that beware the one legged man with white eyebrows who does not spar...or was that beware the no legged man with no eyebrows that does not spar...oh fu@k it.

Mr. Nemo
02-12-2002, 04:11 PM
I personally know xingyi students that spar, so Merryprankster is correct.

But bajiquan is clearly the best kung fu style. No question about it. There is no reasonable argument that indicates otherwise. Anyone that tells you anything else is lying. Baji is invincible. Superman did baji, only he did an impure kind of baji that was mixed with tai chi - that's why he was vulnerable to kryptonite. Some people might tell you superman could fly and shoot lasers from his eyes and everything because of the yellow sun of the earth, but really it's because he did baji. The only other style you should mix with baji is pigua. And if you want to, you can train in BJJ and boxing, too, but you don't need to. Superman didn't.

JasBourne
02-12-2002, 04:18 PM
Wing Chun mo bettah.

:p

PhoenixPangaryk
02-12-2002, 04:25 PM
If you have an Eagle Claw school close by, that would be the most deadly system to get into. The Chin Na applications and bone breaking, pressure point attacks are solid. It also depends on the teacher.

But - Hung Gar is the best stand up style if yer wondering!
Phoenix

Shaolindynasty
02-12-2002, 04:26 PM
Usually any art descended from shaolin north or south can wipe the floor with any other art.

Take that Tachi, Bagua and Hsing Yi!:p

Tigerstyle
02-12-2002, 04:56 PM
"We must show them that Japanese Bushido is the best!"

"That's right. They've just never felt the sting of Japanese fists."

"Alright then. Let's beat 'em up!"

red_fists
02-12-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Shaolindynasty
Usually any art descended from shaolin north or south can wipe the floor with any other art.

Take that Tachi, Bagua and Hsing Yi!:p

Tachi is the predecessor to the Katana, methinks you meant Taichi.

Wanna wipe the floor with me, tough luck
by the time you try to grab me you are floored already. :D

BTW, there is a bit of Shaolin Arts in Tai Chi, better reread the History to see what styles influcenced Tai Chi especially around the Chen Village.

Sets of Red Fist, Cannon pounding Fist, etc.

devere
02-12-2002, 08:03 PM
That quote was from my emptyFlower site, but I didn't write it. It's from Robert Smith's book "Hsing-I." I thought the entire overview was a good introduction to the art.

As far as sparring - I agree that one MUST spar - in ANY art. Without sparring you are not learning to fight - you're learning forms. I'm a xingyi guy and I feel *very* strongly about this. That's what also promted me to take Brazilian JJ - not only for the ground fighting, but for the experience with an opponent.

Actually come to think of it - I think I'm going to edit that part because I 100% disagree with it.

Water Dragon
02-12-2002, 08:08 PM
I agree with David. Oh by the way, everyone go check out the new article on emptyflower. I can't say I agree with everything in the article, but go look at the pics. That guy has some solid alignment, you can actually see the power path in his structure. Pretty cool.

SevenStar
02-12-2002, 08:16 PM
I would have to say shaolin do

GreyMystik
02-12-2002, 08:24 PM
i will say this. xingyiquan is famous for it's ability to develop incredible...and i do mean INCREDIBLE striking power. now i won't say that xingyiquan (aka hsing-i) people dont' spar, i'd be suprised if they never did... but full contact? doubtful. would you spar with full contact handguns? even with bulletproof vests, there's the chance you'd get shot in a vulnerable area... something to think about
not saying 'we're too deady to spar', but more like 'we're not gonna use our full power because that could do more damage than is useful for learning purposes'

taijiquan_student
02-12-2002, 08:45 PM
Any good art would be impossible to use full-power in a sparring/class situation. Even if you don't aim for things like the throat, getting a solid shot to the head or other potentially lethal targets can kill someone if it's really full power (assuming you have power in the first place).

Water Dragon
02-12-2002, 09:10 PM
Boxing and Muay Thai rarely go all out in sparring either.

nospam
02-12-2002, 09:16 PM
eaglefist,

go down to each school and talk with the head instructor/master. Get an idea of how they conduct class and where they place emphasis. Whichever sounds and perhaps looks the best to begin with, enroll and give it a whirl.

If after 3 months things don't pan out, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Go to the other style and give it 3 months or more. You are the only person to decide what 'style' i sbest suited to you and yours.

Good luck - just do it.

nospam.
:cool:

Merryprankster
02-13-2002, 08:18 AM
Except that's not what the article quote said. It said "We don't spar because pulling blows doesn't lead you to better xingyi," in a nutshell.

Waterdragon--you're right. Boxing and Muay Thai don't always spar full speed. But they do fairly often. I'd say you could expect a full speed sparring session every couple of months, with frequent not quite full speed bouts regularly.

And as far as "Any good style can't go full speed," that's a blatant excuse. Nope you can't use nut shots and eye gouges, and throat grabs, but within the limitations of safety and protective equipment, you should be able to pound on each other.

BoxerChick
02-13-2002, 08:23 AM
JasBourne started telling me some about wing chun, so I found a book at the bookstore about it.
It looks much, MUCH more realistic than other Kung Fu styles.
Probably some of the most unrealistic looking styles are Tai Chi and those goofy animal styles like eagle and stuff.
I guess Tai CHi might actually work if someone did it full contact, but from what I have seen it looks like standing meditation.

Ray Pina
02-13-2002, 08:26 AM
E-chuan.

Hey, I have to do it, right? But I do honestly feel that way. This system will be more widely known in 10 years or so.

NorthernMantis
02-13-2002, 08:45 AM
Eagle -

It's ousnd like you might be interested in Lee Koon Hung's or John Wi's school.If you want to ask more about the style ask sow choy in the southern forum.I know him and met him a couple oftimes,he can help yuo out.

Shaolindynasty
02-13-2002, 09:00 AM
"there is a bit of Shaolin Arts in Tai Chi"

That's because they wanted to see what it feels like to be great:p

Don't even get me started on baji:D

Wing Chun is the least effective of the shaolin arts:rolleyes:

Long fist rules!!!:D

Taichi is only effective after you learn a shaolin art.

Bwahahahahaha! (laughing with evil intent to flame)

Frank Exchange
02-13-2002, 09:59 AM
The style practiced by the person answering the question.
Obviously :)

eaglefist
02-13-2002, 03:21 PM
Northern mantis thanks any help would be appreciated.. im hoping to find an art that has a good realistic stand up system I was hoping that choy lay fut would be it...I was actually hoping for a mantis school but there all far from me.

DragonzRage
02-13-2002, 03:29 PM
without a doubt, Chinese Boxing!! (As in Chinese guys practicing western boxing) :D

Shaolindynasty
02-13-2002, 03:31 PM
Choy Li Fut is a good school of martial arts. Allot of the instructors from Hong Kong have good fighting background.

eaglefist
02-13-2002, 03:35 PM
Thanks to all for the help" nospam" your right it is up to me on witch style is best for me but i thought I would get your opinions first thanks.:D