PDA

View Full Version : wushu class in Sydney?

lazybones
02-12-2002, 04:40 PM
Hi, I know that a lot of you guys are from the US but I was just wondering if anyone knows of a good wushu school in Sydney.

lazybones
02-13-2002, 10:29 PM
Sorry, just bringing this post up again just in case anyone with info is going surfing through.

jon
02-13-2002, 10:35 PM
There is a small shop in Chinatown which sells various herbs and and trinkets just on the main chinatown mall.
Have a look in there window and you will see and advert for a guy who teaches quite a lot of various forms of kung fu including both northern and southern wushu.
The guy inside the shop is a pretty strong internal practioner as well and may be worth speaking to.
Im not sure of the quality becouse i havent seen there stuff but i respect the owner of the shop and i dont think he would advertise something he didnt condone.

Then again with so many traditional authentic schools around i really fail to see why anyone over here would pick Wu-Shu.
I dont think we even have an active competion scence for it but im not dead sure on that.

GOLDEN ARMOR
02-14-2002, 01:21 AM
lazybones theres a wushu school on the corner of victoria rd & i think its balmain rd in Rozelle. Its on the 2nd fioor, the entrance is on victoria rd across from a chemist & mobil phone shop. On the 2nd floor of the building theres a big sign outside. I dont know if the sifu is any good, i've never been there but i drive past on the way to training in the city. Maybe some1 else knows if its any good, but go check it out 4 ur self. Check out the 1 Jon said too.

Why do u want to do wushu? Whats ur reason 4 training gung fu?
As Jon said theres a lot of good traditional gung fu schools in sydney. If ur interested tell me what ur into (nthn./sthn.) & what u want to get out of it. I might be able to suggest a few good traditional gung fu schools around. What area do u live in?

fiercest tiger
02-14-2002, 02:54 AM
he teaches almost every style know to man!

hahahaha oops sorry shaolin master just kidding mate;)

lazybones
02-14-2002, 08:49 PM
Jon and Golden Armor,
Thank you for your posts. In reply to your question, I would really like to check out a wushu school to see what kind of training they do. I am looking for a northern style of Kung Fu actually, one which has a lot of kicks, preferably not all confined to the waist and below. I am relatively ignorant but from what little I have seen of wushu they seem to have a lot of kicks and it is also a very athletic style. I also like the forms, which seem to have a lot of grace and style and they look good too!
I realise that wushu will probably not serve me very well from a self defence standpoint but that isn't really why I want to study it. I have been studying a southern style for a few years now and their lack of kicking is a little disappointing (although the style itself is great). So, if you could recommend any other good northern style or wushu schools, it would be much appreciated.

lazybones
02-14-2002, 08:51 PM
Oops, forgot to say that I live near paramatta

jon
02-14-2002, 09:26 PM
In that case Wu-Shu would proberly be perfect for you.
As long as combat is not your main focus the forms really are great looking and im sure it feels great to perform as well.
There is of course also an abundence of high kicks in Wushu
Ill have an ask around and see if anyone knows of an instructor around your area. Im actualy near Parramatta myself, speaking of which im off there now for lion dance:)
If i find out something ill post it back here.

lazybones
02-18-2002, 11:04 PM
Jon and Golden Armor (and anyone else who might know),
I am getting the impression that wushu schools are a little thin on the ground (in Sydney anyway). Could you guys then recommend a good Northern style Kung Fu school. A location in the city or out west near Paramatta would be preferable. Thanks

By the way Jon, what style do you study? I didn't realise that there were Kung Fu schools in the area that taught lion dance.

Ka
02-19-2002, 01:44 AM
Hey there is Fung Lee who trians at 401 Sussex level 3a from mem,who is petty big in forms and Juliana Zhu who teaches in Ultimo.Mrs Zhu has a few mainland medals to her name and she is reasonably priced but mailnly speaks mandarin.
Shoot us a mail if you need phone nos.

jon
02-19-2002, 04:24 AM
Ok there are another two schools in Parramatta or surrounding suberbs that teach various forms of Northen Kung fu. I would certainly recomend a good northern system over wushu any day. You will still get the high kicks and fast active footwork but you will also be taught how to actualy fight which is always a bonus:)

I have met with both the people and schools ill mention.
I dont have exact addresses on either but i can dig them up without any hassle.

Chin Woo,
These guys teach out west and teach a varitey of systems, I have met John (forgotten last name)down at the association and he is a very knowledgeable man with a good handle on what go's on in the Sydney scence, he personaly teaches Tam Tui and Jeet Kune (springing leg and intercepting fist) which are both northern forms and are quite nice to watch as ive seen them. There is also John Lee down there who teaches Southern Mantis and ive heard nothing but good things about him. Chin Woo has several martial arts with various instructors, ill get you some solid contact details if you cant just find them in the yellow pages.

Eye of the Eagle.
These guys teach an ecclectic mix of kung fu, Thai boxing and plain old street wise self defence. They are not the most traditional school but several of them down there have traditional training. Ive also seen one of them do a brilliant demonstation of kicking skills including many high kicks and jump kicks.
I have a friend who teaches a little Five animal fist down there and another who teaches some Thai Boxing and modern kung fu. Both are great martial artists and fighters and i would easily recommend them if your not to concerned with having a particular 'style' they are more into good old combat than they are into named systems.

My personaly school is Hung Ga and we actualy train at Parramatta ourselfs, if your interested contact me privately and i will give your our contact details as well. We dont do lion dancing in my Hung school though, that is actualy part of my internal school believe it or not!
Its also how i met the 'eye of the eagle' guys as they are also on my lion dance team.

If you want further details on any of them just let me know and ill dig them up.
I can get hold of the 'eye of the eagle' guys anytime but the Chin Woo guys i only see on the weekends usualy.

lazybones
02-25-2002, 02:26 AM
Thanks for your replies Jon and Ka, apologies for not getting back to the board sooner. Jon, if you could post the details for the Chin Woo school (I looked up the white and yellow pages but didn't come up with anything), it would be much appreciated. I was actually looking to train within an actual system, the other school you mentioned sounds alright but is probably a little too eclectic. After some thinking, I'd have to agree with you on the fact that finding a good northern system would be preferable to Wushu. While self defence or fighting isn't a priority for me, I am sure that that sort of training would be of great benefit to me

friday
02-25-2002, 03:59 AM
there is actually a gentleman who teaches at marrickville i think...he is from old school wu shu in china. and i recall being told by one of his students that he had won an award as being top tong long (praying mantis) in that competition in china that jet li has won a few times.
i am not sure how they accept students as the last time i spoke to one of his students was when the class was about 4-5 ppl. and most of these students have been with him for a number of years.
he went back to china for a few months last year but i think he would have returned by now.
i know one of his students teaches at CYL Chinese Youth League in Chinatown near sussex street and liverpool st/rd. u might try to pop in there for a visit on saturdays in the afternoon mayb 1-2ish.
i know this is a bit vague but i think that genlteman would be worth contacting for wu shu.

fiercest tiger
02-25-2002, 05:17 AM
go to the park of a morning there are plenty of kung fu teachers there that may teach you.

julianna is one of the better wushu teachers so i here!:)