PDA

View Full Version : Any of you do scenario training?

Ryu
02-12-2002, 06:34 PM
Spent two hours today rolling and working out, but also spent time with King T doing semi-full contact scenario drills with gloves and headgear on. We would take turns thinking up various scenarios that included dialogue, surprise attacks, body language, etc. The training was VERY eye opening when trying to read body language, intent, first strike principles, etc.
Really had a great time, and was wondering if others trained these scenarios as well that ends in contact striking and grappling?

Ryu

red_fists
02-12-2002, 06:42 PM
Hi.

I have never trained scenario as I feel it limits you responses and might make you react in a "pre-programmed" fashion.
Which is counter to what I MA as.

Yes, I have often worked my way mentally through scenarios.

But if I spar, I spar the same way I might confront a situation. NO protective Gear, NO soft Mats, Real everyday clothing,etc.

Black Jack
02-12-2002, 10:09 PM
Ryu,

I consider situational based training a must, it gives you a realistic edge that just straight out/paired off sparring does not address, the best is to use both tools, but always include pressure based situational drills.

It's all about making yourself uncomfortable, get out of the comfort zone, train from neutral positions, run possible encounters through your head, get some gear on and go as balls to the wall as you can.

Do it in different enviroments, on the stairs, in closed spaces like a bathroom, alley or hallway, in the woods, in a parking lot, in light, in dark, in a car, add in improvished weapons, in uncomfortable positions, on your knees, bum rushed, bending over picking something up, hands caught crossed or in pockets, have something in your arms like a bookbag, groceries, mail, work the interception/pre-emptive strike, pick up signals, role-play with verbals, work with a very aggressive mindset, have your partner get serious, spit, yell, call you a mother ****er, act like a ******* who wants some ****, make up stuff, it will all help.

I don't see how doing stress based and aggressive situational training drills will impair your responses, what it will do is get them working, get you thinking in real time.

Budokan
02-12-2002, 10:16 PM
We did a little bit in my dojo once. I enjoyed it and hope we do it again soon. It brings a different element to your training, doesn't it?

Ka
02-12-2002, 10:40 PM
Hey there
I think its big time important.We use protective gear (always at least mouth guard and goin cup) going between soft and slow and hard and fast.One important stage is to have role playing,the agressor takes on the mantal of Mauy Thai,or TKD,BJJ.Ithink the problem in this is that you may not have any practioners of these different stlyes training with you.I am fortunate that every one has a different and competant background in something else.

Chris McKinley
02-12-2002, 10:55 PM
Much depends on what you are training for. If a student is training for real life-or-death combat skills, scenario training is an absolute must. I disagree with red fist's assessment of scenarios as limiting one's response to a "pre-programmed" one. Using the very same logic, one could say the very same thing about practicing choreographed martial arts forms. In scenario training, the actual technique(s) used are ancillary and really not the highest priority. In fact, it's not unusual for the choice of response (i.e., technique) to vary each time the scenario is played out.

What is being trained are the ability to assess threat, situational awareness, environmental awareness, and timing. The reason this type of training ought to be a supplement to everyone's training is the same reason the military, government, and law enforcement agencies all use training that is as close to the real situation as possible. It saves lives and removes some of the illusions of security that training only in the clinically sterile environment of a dojo sometimes produces.

red_fists
02-12-2002, 11:10 PM
Hi Chris.

My words were "might".
I have trained in Arts where scenario training was a big thing.

But those scenarios tend to run along similar lines with not that many surprises jumping up at you.

Example:
Me and a friend got into a fight, my Buddy squares off and his Opponent reckoned since he studies TKD he will use that. What he really used was a series of boxing Jabs that took everybody (incl. me) by total surprise.

Similar I was once stopped on my way to the Bike, as a Guy wanted to fight.
I simply hit him, happened to have been holding a full face Helmet at that time. Fight over. ;)

And it is tough to come up with enough scenarios to cover all eventualities. And even using minimal protection like a cup makes it unrealistic.

So I know spar with my Buddies in the Park, etc using what we would be wearing in an everyday situation.

We realised that even training for 75% of all situations leaves you unprepared for the other 25%.

And I have seen fighter loose simply because they realised that they are not protected or not sure on how to handle a given situation.

How many people train for "Cold Muscle" responses??

I.e.: A fight where you have no warmed up, pre-stretched muscles.

Scenario training is fun, but only gives you a vague idea on how a real situation evolves.

Shooter
02-12-2002, 11:17 PM
Make fun of your training partner's mom/girlfriend/whatever until he snaps. :p

Have them push your buttons in kind. Makes for lots of introspective learning material.

I agree with Black Jack's suggestions on enviro-settings and their emotional components. Pretend you have a child or loved one with you. What will you do differently?

Get lots of input back and forth to learn about each other's points of failure on all levels (emotional, startegic, tactical etc).