PDA

View Full Version : more choy lay fut's names

RAIN
02-12-2002, 09:44 PM
to all the choy lay fut brothers that help me always :

i need the literal translations to english of the follow techniques :

- fahn jong choy

- pow choy

- chin gee choy ( i don't not if this is the right way to writing )

- biu jong

- been choy ( this is the horizontal fist after the second sow choy in che kuen ? )

- lao jerng

- yum jerng

- biu jee

- dahn na

- kong jerng

- cham kiu

- poon kiu

- chang fu girk

- oi buy leen toi

- king nai

thanks

RAIN
02-15-2002, 02:10 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yd0137
02-18-2002, 02:23 PM
I might be able to help with some, our Sigung used a very old fashioned dialect of Cantonese, so I may be wrong... Please don't take my post as absolute. When Chinese is Romanized, much is lost in the translation, and spelling is widely varied. :)

fahn jong choy - 'fahn' usually means to reverse or inverted ( as in 'fahn gok choy' - inverted hook punch), jong choy is 'crashing fist'. I personally have seen or heard of 'fahn jong choy', but I would guess 'inverted crashing fist'

pow choy - my understanding is it means 'canon fist' or straight (long) armed uppercut

chin gee choy- not sure, sorry

biu jong- 'biu' means 'to dart' or 'spear' i think. a shorter version of jong choy

been choy - our version of CLF ( Green Cloud) spells it 'biin', but it essentially means 'whipping fist'

lao jerng - not sure

yum jerng - i believe it's a palm to groin. 'liu yum teui' is groin aggitating kick in our version

biu jee- again, 'biu' is 'darting' or 'spearing', jee ( we spell it 'jih') is finger

dahn na- not sure, 'na' means 'lock' or ' control' ( 'chin na' or 'kahm na')

kong jerng - not sure about 'kong', jerng ( or 'jueng') usually means 'palm'

cham kiu- 'sinking bridge arms', 'cham' means 'to sink', 'kiu' is 'bridge arm'

poon kiu - ' clinging bridge arm' , 'poon sau' ( which we call it) is 'clinging block'

chang fu girk- not sure. 'fu' means 'tiger'

oi buy leen toi- well, 'bai liin teui' is outside crescent kick. otherwise i'm not sure

king nai - not sure

Hope some of this helps
-david

RAIN
02-18-2002, 09:41 PM
thanks for the time you take for give me some knoledge .
i never see you before in this forum . but is great you stay here .
you are a clf stylist i see . which is your school ?
i don't ask this for search rivality . i am from southamerica and thank to this forum i'd know how work american schools .

thank you again .

GOLDEN ARMOR
02-19-2002, 04:40 AM
Farn Jong- uplifting/uppercut punch

Dahn na- single grab

Kong jeurng/Gung jeurng- straight explosive palm with the heel of the palm

King nai- salute

Chang fu girk- this could be dang chaan geuk (front, reverse kick)

extrajoseph
02-19-2002, 05:43 AM
RAIN,

Seeing you really wanted to know, this is my interpretation.....

- fahn jong choy

Counter crashing (=fahn jong) as in throwing an elbow strike upward.

- pow choy

To throw (=pow) a punch as in an upper cut going from low to high diagonally across your body.

- chin gee choy ( i don't not if this is the right way to writing )

To strike in the form of the character for Chin (=chin gee and chin is a thousand), that is from left to right or right to left in a slight angle, since the first stroke for the character "chin" is in a slight angle.

- biu jong

Clash by charging (=biu jong), that is to strike as though you are charging into your opponent.

- been choy ( this is the horizontal fist after the second sow choy in che kuen ? )

Horizontal strike as though you are cracking a whip (=been).

- lao jerng

To scoop up (=lao) with you leg or to scoop up your opponent's leg.

- yum jerng

To strike with your palm facing down (yum=yin), as opposite to yeung jeurng - to strike with your palm facing up.

- biu jee

To strike by charging forward (=biu) with your fingers (=jee).

- dahn na

I think you mean dahn (=single) lan (=block) - to block with one arm, usually horizontally as in chil sou dahn lan. Dahn na can mean to grab with single hand.

- kong jerng

To strike upward with the palm (kong=to push up).

- cham kiu

To block down or to strike downward with your forearm (cham=to sink, kiu=bridge=forearm).

- poon kiu

Circular block (=poon) with your forearm.

- chang fu girk

Kick as though you are pushing against a ferocious tiger (chang fu) with the heel of your foot.

- oi buy leen toi

Crescent kick outward. Literally means lotus leave swinging in the wind.

- king nai

To salute.