PDA

View Full Version : Question about interval training and regular cardio - Please Help

dwid
02-13-2002, 10:03 AM
I've recently started interval training with a 5 pound heavy rope. For a several months now I've been running two to three times per week. If I work out on my off days (say about 4 times per week) with the heavy rope, do I run a very high risk of burning myself out. I'm trying to drop some weight and get my heart into good shape, so I considered the combination to be a good way to do this, but I admittedly don't know enough about physiology to know if I could be doing some damage.

Any thoughts?

Johnny Hot Shot
02-13-2002, 04:52 PM
How much weight are you trying to lose?

Are you Not loosing weight that you think you should be?

What's you diet like and how much water are you drinking?

Do you Drink Alcohol?

dwid
02-13-2002, 05:34 PM
"How much weight are you trying to lose?"

At my peak, I was tipping the scales at about 195 lbs. I'd like to get down to about 180. At 5'8", that still wouldn't make me tiny or anything, just a little lighter on my feet.

"Are you Not loosing weight that you think you should be?"

It doesn't feel like I'm losing any weight at all. I didn't expect to lose too much from just running, though. It just seems that the cumulative effect of all the physical stuff I do should be greater. My concern is that I'm doing too much in an effort to get in shape too quickly. With interval training, I don't know enough about it to be sure that its level of intensity is safe to combine with a lot of other training.

"What's you diet like and how much water are you drinking?"

Therein lies my problem. I'm definitely consuming too many calories. My girlfriend moved in in the Fall, and she likes to cook, so my diet has shifted tremendously in the last four months or so.

"Do you Drink Alcohol?"

Occasionally, maybe once or twice a week. Usually pretty moderately even then.

I appreciate the response, and your Socratic method here. I predict your advice will next be to not drink, or cut back to rarely and to cut back on caloric intake, and let the training do its work.

Still, how much cardio is too much? Can combining interval training with running put a strain on my heart or lungs?

Robinf
02-14-2002, 08:56 AM
I depends on the person, but aerobic exercise everyday just may be too much. Personally, I'd try the interval training those 3 or 4 days and not jog the other two. See what happens after a few weeks. I don't think the strain would be too much on your lungs and heart. The strain would be on the rest of your body. The other muscles also have to work hard, especially in interval training--particularly when it's a new exercise--and this could lead to a tired body that will "rebel". Your body will start to get injured because your muscles aren't getting enough time to rest.

Does this make any sense? I'm a bit tired of late (three jobs), so my writing/speaking skills aren't the best.

Robin

dwid
02-14-2002, 09:35 AM
It makes perfect sense. Sadly, it's not what I wanted to hear. Jogging for me is a sort of social event as much as anything. I jog with a friend, and am reluctant to stop doing so. However, I think overall, the interval training is more beneficial. I guess I just need to make a decision of which is more important to me.

Thanks both of you.

Paul
02-14-2002, 10:05 AM
why give up one for the other? It sounds like you are already jogging, why not gradually add in the interval training instead of throwing in 3-4 days of interval training all at once. that way you will give your body a chance to adjust and reduce the possibility of overtraining.

dwid
02-14-2002, 10:50 AM
So maybe run a couple of times per week and interval train a couple of times per week. That sounds good to me. You don't think this would diminish the impact of the exercises? If not, that sounds like a great compromise.

CD Lee
02-14-2002, 10:52 AM
I certainly agree with Paul here. Do not quit jogging. It is a great activity, and should not place a great amount of stress on your body or you cardio. Especially if you have been doing it a while. Add the interval training in to what you already do, don't scrap your good hard work now. If you are recovering and are not exausted more each day, then I would guess you are not overtraining.

I weighed 195 once, at 5,9, and neglected to exersice at all for a few years. I had to start jogging 1/2 mile at a time, and it took me a few months, but I finally got to two miles a day, every single day. But this was slow jogging, not for performance. Once my tendons became stronger, I upped the pace and distance a little at a time. I used to be very concerned that I might have a heart attack (Myocarpal Infarction) by running faster, as I began to run races. I did get my wieght to 152 in four months by not eating a ton, but that was just to get light for racing. Over the next year I build up to running 30 miles every week, 4-6 miles every day, and could run 12 miles no problem at any one time. They key is to build up and you can do a lot of things once your body gets in shape.

When I was running, and in good condition for it, the fifth mile was as easy as the first mile. It was just a workout at that point. Today, one mile feels like 5 miles for me :D

dwid
02-14-2002, 11:37 AM
I hear ya...

It seems like I put on the weight overnight. About 2 years ago, I was about 155 lbs. and had between a 31 and 32 inch waist. Now I'm between 190 and 195 with a 36 to 37 inch waist. Back then I was in the gym 5 to 6 days a week, either training with my then martial arts club or running.

Over the course of a year, I had a recurrent back injury and a major surgery (unrelated) that put me totally out of training for about 2 months. Altogether, I was off training at least as much of last year as I was on it. Add to that at 26, I'm experiencing the metabolic shift that happens in your 20's on my dad's side of the family.

Anyway, I've bounced back pretty well with the running and am up to 3 miles, 2 to 3 times per week. I've been trying to pull more intensity out of my Bagua workouts, as I used to do a much more external art, and I'm sure that's part of what kept me so fit.

Robinf
02-14-2002, 12:06 PM
Any kind of aerobic exercise IF COUPLED with proper eating habits will shed the pounds.

I'm 5'4" and once weighed 175. I got down to 120 by simply eating right and going for walks.

If jogging is what you like to do then absolutely don't give it up. I agree with Paul's suggestion. Ease in the interval training. Your benefits will be fine.

Robin