PDA

View Full Version : Jane Hallender

GeneChing
02-13-2002, 03:31 PM
Doc Fai Wong's people just contacted our Ad director Andy Ching about the passing of martial arts writer Jane Hallender. Jane was one of the pioneer writers, one of the earliest women to publish articles about the martial arts, opening the door for many women writers to follow. Her legacy is an immense contribution to the field and her presence in our community will be sorely missed. For those of us who knew Jane, the loss is immeasurable. Our sympathies to her friends and family.

Shaolindynasty
02-13-2002, 03:33 PM
I cut my "kungfu teeth" on her books.

JasBourne
02-13-2002, 03:37 PM
How sad. I saw a lecture she gave once on avian psychology when I lived in the San Fran area, very interesting. Gentle, solid and calm was the energy she gave off. Her parrot was pretty darned smart and funny.

:(

norther practitioner
02-13-2002, 03:37 PM
aumitofu

Mutant
02-13-2002, 03:47 PM
I'm very saddened to hear that.

I can remember reading her articles back when I was a kid just getting into this stuff. And I have some of her & Doc's books, the 5-Animal books is one of my favorites.

My condolences to her friends and family, her passing is a great loss to the MA community.

rubthebuddha
02-13-2002, 04:01 PM
Gene,

might it be a nice idea to compile all these nice things her fans and such are saying about her, and maybe send these off to her family?

everyone "knows" she's hit home with a lot of people with her work, but perhaps it'd be cool to let the family know how many.

i'd be glad to do the leg work on this, if you guys don't have the time.

plus, you might also wanna include these words in kfq, if you wish.

again, just an idea, but i think it'd be nice to hear ALL the good stuff we have to say about Ms. Hallender.

let me know if i can help.

-dave

Daniel Madar
02-13-2002, 04:07 PM
How old was she? Any other details?

Chalk it up to morbid curiousity.

Sorry to hear it. Never met her, but I heard she was very nice.

-D

NorthernMantis
02-13-2002, 04:17 PM
I thouhgt she was youg.What happened ?

God rest her soul.:(

Water Dragon
02-13-2002, 04:41 PM
RIP

rubthebuddha
02-13-2002, 05:01 PM
fitting, water dragon, because of how much peace she brought to other people. :)

bamboo_ leaf
02-13-2002, 05:54 PM
Very sad to hear had dinner with her and Doc Fai, a long while back.

A very interesting person; a very prolific CMA writer.
She did much to being the art out to the average person.

Deepest condolences to her family and friends.

david

TenTigers
02-13-2002, 06:06 PM
We offer our deepest condolences to her family and loved ones. Her writing has been a source of deep inspiration for me. I have read her articles and books ever since the early years of IKF, in 1974. She will be missed.

jon
02-13-2002, 07:29 PM
Ive read many things written by Jane Hallander and own several of her books. Ive also really enjoyed her writing style and respected her dedication to bringing into the public eye arts that are usualy only shown behind closed doors. I could even say she is personaly responsible for my interest in several of the arts i respect and have further researched.
The news of her passing is a great sadness and i would venture to say a tragic loss to the whole martial arts community.
Still she has left a great deal here for the rest of us to remember her by. If I could do half of the things for chinese martial arts she has managed, i know i would die a happy and fulfilled man.
R.I.P Jane you will be sorely missed.

EARTH DRAGON
02-13-2002, 07:40 PM
How sad , I had met her while I lived in San Fran. She has done some great articles about kung fu and 8 step with my teacher I will cherish those memories.

guohuen
02-13-2002, 08:06 PM
I'm bummed!

Je Lei Sifu
02-13-2002, 08:34 PM
I have read several articles written by Jane Hallander and enjoyed them all.

It seems so long ago when I last seen her at the NACMAF tournament performing the Tai Chi Sabre during the Master's Demonstration to the tune of Mack The Knife.

She will be missed by a great many people who cherished her contributions to the Chinese Martial Arts.

Rest and Peace

God Bless

Je Lei Sifu

bustr
02-14-2002, 09:43 PM
ttt

illusionfist
02-15-2002, 01:45 AM
Does anybody know how she died? I'm just curious.

She definitely did a lot for CMA. Definitely a sad day.

Peace :D

GeneChing
02-18-2002, 11:12 AM
We knew she had been battling cancer for a while. Apparently that was the cause of her untimely passing.

phantom
02-19-2002, 02:08 PM
I am sorry to hear this. I have read several articles by her, as well as some books, and I honestly do not think that I was ever disappointed with any of them. God, she could not have been that old. My sincerest condolences to all of her family and friends.