PDA

View Full Version : Tui Shou & Chi Sao.

red_fists
02-13-2002, 06:32 PM
Hi All.

What are the differences and common components of of Tui Shou & Chi Sao??

prana
02-13-2002, 06:44 PM
literal translation mostly

Tui sou is mandarine for push hands
Chi sao is cantonese for "stick" hands

hehe :)

mad taoist
02-14-2002, 11:16 PM
Correct me if I am wrong anywhere, but this is what I think and what I have gathered ...

Chi sao is sticky hands, from wing chun.

Toi Shou is push hands, from tai qi.

I get the impression that there is more foot work and more involved in toi shou than there is chi sao ... which is more arms and hand work.

S.Teebas
02-14-2002, 11:59 PM
chi sao ... which is more arms and hand work.

It is ment to be the whole body working in unison.

KC Elbows
02-15-2002, 09:21 AM
There are other methods of sticky hands outside of wing chun, and some include footwork integration.

I might be mistaken, but I also thought that there were other methods of push hands than the various tai chi methods, but I can't remember what styles, so I could be talking out of my arse here, in which case, Burroughs fans should be pleased.

Felipe Bido
02-15-2002, 09:48 AM
You can find Tui Shou in Hsing Yi and Bagua, too. (I think in Bagua is called Rou Shou, 'Chasing hands')

KC Elbows
02-15-2002, 10:03 AM
Back to the questions as far as sticky hands, as the system I study uses sticky hands, though it is different than the wing chun sticky hands.

Differences: between the style I study(tai hui) and wing chun, the method is somewhat different. Tai hui emphasizes using any push the opponent presents to empower an attack, the method is governed by what are called the four hand postures of tai hui(silk reeling, crane wing, press, back crane wing). The movements are very circular but tight(as far as distance, not muscular). Elbows dropped. The movements must be relaxed, more so than in wing chun, in my experience. Tai hui's sticky hands begin as a number of drills, but are ultimately free form, and the practitioner finds further applications for the methods that are not explicitly taught in the drills.

Similarities: Sticky hands is fairly forceful on the strikes, both wing chun and tai hui initially use a squared off stance between the two practitioners, oftentimes starting with one armed practice and then building to two armed and later involving leg work. Both practices deal with what one can do at the moment of contact, and are ultimately a bridge between forms and sparring, and are not intended as replacements for actual sparring and fighting.