PDA

View Full Version : Internal Arts Classic: What is the internal Art?

RAF
02-14-2002, 08:09 AM
Jim Dees, on his website posted some translations of Xiny Yi classice regarding internal training and other material. Here is a piece:

"So, what are the key points hidden behind these movements that made the internal martial arts famous in their ability to deliver such tremendous power within such a wide variety of movements? Is it a special way of breathing? Is it something in the imagination? The answer is no to both questions. With this question in mind, the author has traveled throughout China to visit many different Masters of various internal martial arts. By discussing and exchanging ideas with these people he found out that the real answer is that all of these different methods of movement were being executed in the same way in terms of structure and alignment. By utilizing correct structure and alignment it does not matter what kind of movement is done externally. There are three external benefits to moving with correct structure and alignment:
You will be able to support greater force with your body without relying on muscular strength.
Your body will act as a single unit enabling you to release much more power.
You will be able to change while maintaining a sound structure and whole body connection.
Internally, one can achieve true relaxation only through proper structure and alignment. Once proper structure is in place, the chi and blood circulation will become stronger without any forced breathing or imagination. This is the quickest, safest, and most effective way to establish good chi circulation. The chi feeling is real unlike other feelings which are intermittent and based on imagination. "

"Because of the many subtleties of proper structure, and the fact that the basic idea are so deep, the correct path is easily lost. As a result of improper structure, most of the techniques of the internal martial arts lose their effectiveness. The health benefits of the internal martial arts are also gone without good structure. Therefore, the feats of internal martial arts masters become nothing more than folk tales. To make up for improper structure, there are those who add elaborate breathing methods and imagination to their movements in an attempt to make their art internal. These people usually end up with no kung fu. In America, there are few who have realized the importance of structure. They only see a small portion of the structural requirements so they still can not correctly explain the fundamentals of internal martial arts. "

"While Nei Gung Jing is widely known by name, little is really known about it's true meaning. This is because it has been taught to only a very few people each generation. Even though some people who have had access to the entire article, the true meaning is hidden within the words. Those people have tried to guess at the meaning without real success only to be left with a best guess which falls short of the truth. In order to promote the true meaning of the internal martial arts outside China, we have tried to translate and explain this classic."

"These things can not be rushed. One must spend years practicing before one can get real internal power. One must proceed step by step in a manner in accordance with the classics and do not rush the program. Some may lack talent and get little from the classics. Some may be stupid, too. Also, some may try to understand these things in a short time and never do. Others are too poor and lack the spare time to devote to these things. Some start to practice and immediately try to understand the true meaning of internal martial arts and fail. All of these people will be disappointed when they compare their skill to an internal martial artist. "

"The document is accompanied by two prefaces. This first is by Wang Nan Xi of Shan Zuo Liang ya. These four internal power classics were bought by my great grand-father Wang. At that time he was the Governor of Jiang Xi Province. After he died it was more than 100 years before we knew what they were for. One year I got this from storage and I took the time to read it. Initially, I was so confused I almost gave up. I spent years studying this book. I finally understood that this book is about martial arts and outlines the path to real internal power. I found that if you have real internal power, any technique will be effective. "

I think it was Tom who first posted this on another site and it came back on Jarek's site. I found the classic to parallel much of what I learned in the baji system.

How does this article ring with your experiences and understanding of the internal arts?

http://www.jimdees.com/classic.html

BTW this is the first time I heard of Jim Dees but have watched his Chen teacher Yang Gaofei and Chen Quan Zhong (of Xian). Always thought that Chen Quan Zhong's tape and material looked great but I don't know if this is where Jim Dees's Xing Yi came from.

Water Dragon
02-14-2002, 01:38 PM
This pretty much jives with what I've been taught.

Daniel Madar
02-14-2002, 02:37 PM
The rest of the article is better.

Zantesuken
02-14-2002, 05:40 PM
JEEZ that is probably one of the greatest things i've ever read seriously. Alignment is proper and all that but the point of practise is also very very very well said. A lot of people may disagree but honestly i think that is how it really is.

While many people here seem to know their 'stuff' i don't believe that in their 5-10 years of training they are at a high high level. Some train more than others but it would still take someone at least 20 years to achieve a high mastery of an internal art. Some arts develop chi faster such as xing yi whereas tai chi and bagua take time.

RAF heh you're my new best friend ;p

bamboo_ leaf
02-14-2002, 06:05 PM
Z,

I would also add that it takes real inner strength to be able to change in the face of wrong practice and wrong ideas even after playing something for many yrs.

I think the key is meeting and sharing with people thoughts and hands on experience. It is not always possible to be the best in the felid but maybe just the best in terms of your own abilities and understandings.

good artical :)

cherrypraxis
02-14-2002, 08:10 PM
"structure" is a loaded word.

i have just started studying ba gua and as contradictory as it sounds, it is both the hardest and the softest thing i have ever put my self under.

RAF
02-14-2002, 08:22 PM
Zantesuken:

Thanks. But you are 100% right about the article. Its exactly what I realized about 4 or 5 years ago. My break came in learning the proper alignment and breathing in the xiao baji form. Now I am learning this with our style of bagua, beginning with the basic xiao kai men. I've known xiao kai men for over 10 years but only realized how to train in it in the last 3 years.

Getting bent out of shape about what Qi is or is not really seem to waste time. Jim Dees basically hit the nail on the head regarding nei gong training.

I think that a sort of nei gong river runs through Northern Chinese martial arts and systems like baji, taiji, bagua, xing yi all tap it for their distinctive flavor.

Don't forget Water Dragon, you come visit. Just remember we will probably be in Qingdao from July to August. I can't wait to return to China.

Anyway, I only posted a piece of it hoping others would read it and share what they thought. This article and Tim Cartmell's really touched a nerve in my training.

Water Dragon
02-15-2002, 07:44 AM
RAF, I'm gonna try to make it to Columbus. Shoot me a private, there's a couple of goodies I think you would enjoy checking out while you're there.