PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary Wushu and Wing Chun

Kuen
02-14-2002, 01:46 PM
Is it true that there is now a contemporary Wushu Wing Chun form for competitions? :(

sanchezero
02-14-2002, 03:48 PM
I have no idea, but the concept is funny, nezpah?

I've always wanted to enter a forms comp and do a 30 min SLT. Never had the balls tho.

:D

kungfu cowboy
02-14-2002, 07:29 PM
I don't see how that would work, unless they change it to not wing chun. Sounds L-A-M-E.

sunkuen
02-14-2002, 11:03 PM
I heard awhile back that the H.K. people asked Sunny Tang to choreograph a compulsory form so that Wing Chun could be entered into Wushu events.I saw the form once at a kung fu tourney and it was movements taken from the four empty hand forms and glued together.It seemed to be about the length of the chum kiu.:)

****Sorry Roy ;) none of us is perfect-Dave*****

sunkuen
02-14-2002, 11:10 PM
I forgot to add, this person. that was there told me it was simply a form to represent the entire Wing Chun system to audiences and judges,not to replace the forms we already have.

dezhen2001
02-15-2002, 05:17 AM
sanchezero - you would win it in my book if u did that :D
maybe i could join you for the 'group' forms devision. :)

david

sanchezero
02-15-2002, 05:12 PM
i have this feeling that I'd get jumped while on the floor.

paranoia, im sure

:D

sunkuen
02-16-2002, 12:01 AM
You don't miss anything eh dave!!!:)

Roy D. Anthony
02-16-2002, 02:14 AM
Actually Sunkuen Dave did miss something, which I feel compelled to address. I do take offence to your nickname for my Sifu, Sunny Tang. i.e. Orange Crystals? He is a well respected Sifu here in Toronto and around the world and his efforts to make sure that Wing Chun was one of the traditional Martial Arts included in the Wushu competitions should be noted as a great stepping stone for Wing Chun practitioners around the world.

I believe an apology is in order here Sunkuen!!!!!

Matrix
02-16-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Roy D. Anthony
Actually Sunkuen Dave did miss something, which I feel compelled to address. I do take offence to your nickname for my Sifu, Sunny Tang.....I believe an apology is in order here Sunkuen!!!!! Seconded....

Matrix

sunkuen
02-16-2002, 06:29 PM
Dont be offended by the "orange crystals" comment.I have loads of respect for Sunny Tang.Sometimes on the web things seem heavy when in fact they are really meant in a lighthearted way.Besides, it isn't his real name anyways is it?If names are so important why would he change his given name of "Dunn Wah" to "Sunny Tang" in the first place?Is that how it translates to english (D.W. to S.T.)?

Sihing73
02-16-2002, 06:34 PM
Hi sunkuen,

Since you stated that you "have loads of respect" for the person in question what purpose does your "orange crystals" comment serve? Or are you forgetting the concept of efficiency and adhering to wasted motion?

In this medium much can be misconstrued unintentionaly. Other things are more apparent. It would appear that you comment led to some feelings which were less than disireable. If you truly have so much respect then an apology would hardly cause you harm. However, an insincere apology means nothing so if you feel no need there is little point in trying to force one from you as it would be hollow.

Peace,

Dave

sunkuen
02-16-2002, 06:46 PM
Lighten up my man!!!

sunkuen
02-16-2002, 06:52 PM
To set the record straight!!!
I think Sunny Tang is a hard worker,great martial artist and all around nice guy.:D I'd be proud to have him dangle the carrots of wing chun in front of my nose!!!

Matrix
02-16-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by sunkuen
Dont be offended by the "orange crystals" comment..........If names are so important why would he change his given name of "Dunn Wah" to "Sunny Tang" in the first place?Sunkuen,
You must understand that when you mock someone's name you are in fact insulting that person. Especially when you know that this person is held in very high regard by some of us in this forum. The fact that you offer no apology, just superficial rhetoric, only serves to enforce the fact that your remarks were designed to be mean spirited and disrespectful. Your comments are grade school level, and not worthy of further analysis. :(

Matrix

sunkuen
02-16-2002, 07:07 PM
zzzzzzz zzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz!!!

Roy D. Anthony
02-16-2002, 07:07 PM
Actually Sunkuen, it wouldn't hurt for you to apologize. In fact I wil apologize for misreading your intentions.

However, Dave should apologize also for editing some of Sunkuen's comments and not editing the Comment about Sifu Sunny Tang.

*******Hi Roy, Read the edited portion of Sunkuens post and you will already see what you request. ;) If that is not enough then please feel free to e-mail me. Some day when I attain perfection nothing will be missed by me and these types of things will not happen. Peace, Dave********

sunkuen
02-16-2002, 07:23 PM
apologies apologies,are we warriors or a bunch of old ladies?

Roy D. Anthony
02-16-2002, 07:28 PM
I can't speak for others, but I am a Warrior, and as such apologies are acceptable, and not a sign of weakness. In fact, it can be a sign of strength.

sunkuen
02-16-2002, 07:33 PM
Your purse sure packs alot of punch!!!:D

yuanfen
02-16-2002, 09:29 PM
A warrior is no less a warrior when he /she apologizes when appropriate and the orange crystals label was IMO inappropriate.

sunkuen
02-16-2002, 09:45 PM
Guy's,I'm sure if you wanna go tell sifu tang how some guy on the kfo forum called him "orange crystals" he'd laugh his ass off!!! I happen to know he's got a great sense of humour!!!:)

yuanfen
02-17-2002, 11:35 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Roy D. Anthony
02-17-2002, 03:50 PM
Well Sunkuen you're right, he does have a great sense of humour. However, many people on the forum including myself may take it the wrong way. I'm glad that you are only kidding. but could you please refrain from making such comments in the future as it may falsely incriminate individuals with respectable reputation. Just look at the VTAA.

sunkuen
02-17-2002, 08:06 PM
fair enough

whippinghand
02-18-2002, 12:34 AM
Don't give in so easily, sunkuen.

sanchezero
02-19-2002, 01:07 AM
This thread is like the black hole that swallows all humor...

I wanna make some wisecracks about the situation but suddenly I am drained of all whimsy.

:confused:

mun hung
02-19-2002, 11:47 AM
It's in my opinion that having a wushu form for Wing Chun in the Olympics is a bad idea. Just more commercialization of an art being beaten to death by people trying to squeeze one more dollar out of it. Who cares if it's represented in the Olympics? Does it really matter? I see it as one more way to misrepresent, degrade, and inevitably ruin the art that I love.

Patrick Gordon
02-19-2002, 12:00 PM
Howdy folks,

Anyone I've talked to that has seen this form, doesn't like it. I can say I don't like it either. It is not because it is a new form or that it is from another family, etc. I couldn't care less if someone made up a form for whatever reason the had, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of thought put into this new form. It is just motions from wing chuns forms strung together in a different sequence. It looks silly. If someone had taken wing chun's concepts and made a form by flowing techniques together in a different sequence of the other forms, I would be interested in seeing it. Not that I feel the wing chun needs another form but if one was created for competition, put some thought into it. This form is nothing new. Just my thought. I hope I don't effend any Sunny Tang people, it is not my intention. I have many Sunny Tand practitioners as close friends.

Patrick Gordon.

burnsypoo
02-19-2002, 12:37 PM
Since this topic was obviously brought up to pick apart, you need to determine what it is that you may or may not like about it.
Don't like competing WC?
Don't like having a separate "competition form"?
Don't like having WC represented in Wushu for the Olympics?
Don't like the sequence of the form?

I dunno, to me it's pretty simple. Don't like the competition form, don't do it.

Some people are into the competition aspect of things, more power to them. It's not for me, so I don't do it. If you're gonna compete with this stuff, then here is a form that you can compete with. Don't get it mixed up as part of the WC curriculum or anything. As Patrick said, it's a mix-match of different sections from the forms to show off different elements of the system.

Take or leave, who cares. Shouldn't have any bearing on you and your training if you don't want it to.
-BP-

mysteri
02-27-2002, 04:17 AM
i think that too many people are not lookin @ the big picture here. after nan chuan was created and introduced into comtemporary wushu, though many hung ga and other southern style practioners may have resented it, nevertheless, these systems gained much in popularity and exposure because of this. granted, maybe they may not have wanted to be represented in this way, but it got the foot in the door in a positive way. get the picture? kudos to sifu sunny tang! and as burnsypoo said," Take or leave, who cares. Shouldn't have any bearing on you and your training if you don't want it to. " jus my 2 cents.