PDA

View Full Version : are they all students of lam jo.

ngokfei
01-14-2001, 06:47 PM
Just recently viewed Lam Chun Fai's website and behold. A controversey.

By the way good old photos (like seeing those).

Now question:

1. If this was known before that
Chiu Kau, Chan Hong Chung were students of Lum Jo why didn't they expose it to the public back in the 70's & 80's when various articles were written stating that they were direct students of Lam Sai Wing.

2. I always thought that only a teachers student would be allowed to take a photo with them in the "traditional pose" Sifu sitting student standing. If that's so then why were Chiu Kau and Chan Hong Chung allowed to do this with their Sigung???

3. I've heard about this lineage sheet before. Also heard that there were alot of complaints after this booklet was printed and handed out. Alot of errors are said to have been made.

ex: my teacher was listed as being his sigung's student by accident, just because he gave money towards the producing of a book. This in turn caused may years of confusion and bitterness towards him by the family until it was resolved recently.

I think this relates to the topic on the Kunfu forum regarding "whose the sifu?". :)

Paul Skrypichayko
01-14-2001, 07:37 PM
Hi ngokfei. I read your profile, where are you from?

Answerring your questions;

I don't think Lam Jo's people would dare discredit Chan Hon Chung, Chiu Kao, other students of Lam Sai Wing, or people of the Tang Fung branch, publicly or while they were still alive. The booklet they mention seems to be a small publication exclusive to Lam Jo and his students. I don't think the martial arts community in Hong Kong was exposed to it.

The reason why Chiu Kao, Chan Hon Chung, and many others have pictures with Lam Sai Wing is because they are his students. That is why they were interviewed in magazines and television and the media and martial arts community would have no discrepancies.

Also, if Lam Jo was their master, how come nobody wants to give him credit? Even in my situation, I've had some lousy masters, but I still admit that I learned from them in the beginning. I don't see anyone admitting to learning from Lam Jo, or calling him sihing, so maybe he didnt teach them anything

South Paw
01-14-2001, 08:10 PM
A clear statement Paul.

Newcomers can also read the topic 'Hung Gar Lineage' in this forum.

I also wonder if there are pictures of Lam Yo with Chiu Kau and/or Chan Hon Chung in this typical teacher-student pose.

Still in his biography , in the 'Alumni Book' of 1951, Chiu Kau is naming Lam Yo his Sihing Dai, his older Kungfu brother.

It is also strange that in this book there is no picture nor biography of Chan Hon Chung.

I know that Chiu Kau and his wife Shiu Ying, after Lam Sai Wing's dead, kept close to the group of Lam Yo, a group that represented the alumni of Lam Sai Wing.

South Paw

[This message was edited by South Paw on 01-15-01 at 12:16 PM.]

ngokfei
01-15-2001, 03:02 AM
Hi Paul,

nice clear post. Directly to the point. Is there a way to get a copy of this alumni book (complete).

by the way I'm from NY. Mainly an Eagle Claw Student under Sifu Shum but have done some Hung Ga with the Sifu Yee's group and a brief session with sifu YC Wong. Just a hobby. Kind of got into it when I was learning southern lion dance. By no means do I represent them at all. Just my own opinons here.
:)

Je Lei Sifu
01-15-2001, 05:34 AM
Tang Fong was never a student of Lam Sai Wing. Also on that bullcrap that they call proof, list the names Tang Sao Kin and Ho Lap Tin. Ho Lap Tin, my sigung never mentioned Lam Sai Wing as being a teacher of Tang Fong. This is not the way to make yourself more famous, spreading lies and so forth. This is possibly the reason why the Hung Ga community does not like or respect Lam Jo. It seems as though the only ones who love him are the people directly under him.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu :mad:

The Southern Fist Subdues The Fierce Mountain Tiger

DF
01-15-2001, 06:12 AM
The Tang Fong branches already made a public statement in the past concerning these claims made by Lam Jo. It is funny how all the different Hung Ga branches all get along great with the exception of one. I guess this ain't over yet, as long as someone still seeking empty fame at the expanse of other.

To all Hung Ga brothers and sisters, I understand the emotion that this issue stir. We all know what are the truths and let not let one person tear the Hung Ga family apart. If this issue still continues, it is more important for the rest of us to stay strong and to remain united as a family.

peace
DF

Paul Skrypichayko
01-15-2001, 06:47 AM
Lam Jo's people claim that Chiu Kao wrote his own biography in their alumni association. Is there any proof to this, or did someone just write it for him without him knowing the details.

I have heard from many sources that Chiu Kao learned from his sihings, but they still considerred him a student of Lam Sai Wing, not their own student. Also, everyone of the Lam Sai Wing branch, with the exception of Lam Jo's people, will agree that Tang Fung and Lam Sai Wing were learning brothers, not teacher and student

Nice to have you on board ngokfei. Maybe in the future we could discuss more about hung gar, northern mantis, northern eagle claw, etc

South Paw
01-15-2001, 09:04 AM
As far as I have been informed Chiu Kau wrote his own biography for this 'Alumni Book'. But in this biography he called Lam Yo his Sihing Dai, his older Kungfu brother.

As for Chiu Kau learning from his sihings? He already opened a school in 1931.

South Paw

ngokfei
01-16-2001, 07:55 AM
Just got the march inside kung fu and I see the issue is now being broadcast to the public. But it doesn't say specifics. Only that there are students exagerating their lineage. Also they printed that Alumni sheet.

Anybody have the entire alumni booklet, love to see it in the full. What other biographies are in this booklet?

Anybody got the resources to translate it into english. It would cost me quite a few dinners to convince my friend to translate it. She loves Martial arts and the books but this could be quite boring for her.

PS any Hung Ga schools in taiwan. Planning at trip to taipei to see my cousin. (not just a friendly reunion visit, heard there is an eagle claw sifu there who I'd like to meet). :p