PDA

View Full Version : can anyone tell me about the Hung Gar , and Fut Gar styles?

Battlemycrew
01-15-2001, 10:47 PM
My dojo teaches a style called hung fut which is a combination of the two. But other than knowing that, I don't know much about the two. Anyone able to help?

Taijimantis
01-15-2001, 11:16 PM
I would like to know about Fut Ga too!

CLFNole
01-15-2001, 11:30 PM
Why don't you ask your sifu, that would probably be Sifu Yim Tai. He is a well-respected sifu. If not him try some of your sihings. Both styles originated from Shaolin and are of southern origin.

Oh by the way you study at a kwoon (chinese) not a dojo (japanese).

Peace.

Battlemycrew
01-16-2001, 02:51 AM
He is my SIFU (tai yim). He's very busy all the time though. It's hard to get to talk to him. He's a really nice guy though.

"Oh by the way you study at a kwoon (chinese) not a dojo (japanese)." thanks for the correction. I didn't think dojo was right, but I heard someone else use it.

honorisc
07-20-2001, 08:34 AM
Go to the school before class. Ask at the front desk to see the notebook of articles about the School. Theoretically there is one.

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

tomcat
07-25-2001, 03:56 AM
Hung-Gar kung fu origiated from the Shaolin Tiger system. The monk Gee Sim See taught the sysem to Hung hei Goon who later added crane techniqes. Still later , snake,panther and dragon techniqes were added. forms are long and contain many tachniques. stances are low as with most southern systems. hung-gar practitioners develop iron hard forearms for simultaeneos blocks and strikes. It was practiced on both the red boats and the narrow alleys of canton. So there was a need to develop both long and short range tech. It is a well rounded system. amitoufue tomcat

tomcat

honorisc
07-25-2001, 03:08 PM
Fut gar--is referred to as Buddha's palm; it is the fighting of the monks of Shao-lin temple (when there were monks at Shao-lin temple (olden days)); it is considered a Soft style; many palm attacks; power/(?)speed from being relaxed~...

Hung gar--dynamic tension; sensible techniques; powerful strikes; immovable (strong) stances

WongFeHung
07-27-2001, 01:39 AM
Hung-Ga was the five animal system, but due to Jee Siem's influence, it had more emphasis on the Tiger. The crane techniques were aleays there, Hung Hei Guen did not learn them from his wife, that's a myth that was made into a movie.

honorisc
07-27-2001, 03:12 AM
Hung gar's Hung Hei Gung had a student who was a Shao-lin monk. This monk had a student named Wun Lei~. Wun Lei combined the hard, something techniques of Hung gar and the soft, powerful techniques of Fut(means Buddha) gar.

You are learning Buddha's Palm and some of the best of Hung gar. The system has many specialty styles such as four cripple styles. There are eight angel styles~ (or eight angels style) twenty five weapons (styles) ten animal styles. Plus perhaps ten animals style. You might not have to cut off your right arm but the forms might be considered left handed. This is a good thing.

Merely a concept.

Ego_Extrodinaire
07-27-2001, 04:15 AM
Southern kung fu has full of unsubstantiated stories about the style's creation. It is quite interesting that their history has been tainted by Shaw Brothers productions. Like the evil monk, good monk and good / bad deciple. Hung Fut Gar is the same as Hung Gar.

It's cool to be Egocentric,Egotistical, Egomaniacal but not Egophobic!

Maximus Maximize!

shaolin_knight
07-27-2001, 06:45 AM
There was in article in Kung Fu Qigong a few months ago featuring Tai Yim and Hung Fut (Kung Fu Qigong magazine is the people who host this forum). Order the back issue.

www.kungfumagazine.com (http://www.kungfumagazine.com)

Ego_Extrodinaire
07-27-2001, 07:04 AM
Shaolin-Knight

Was the article substantiated or unsubstantiated. Was it written by a sifu or a scifi writer?

It's cool to be Egocentric,Egotistical, Egomaniacal but not Egophobic!

Maximus Maximize!

Lost_Disciple
07-27-2001, 07:10 AM
Battlemycrew
If u didn't see my other thread, there's a chance I'll be moving to Baltimore and a chance I'll be your little kung fu bro in about 2~3 months.

Nice to meet u.

honorisc
07-29-2001, 07:29 AM
You have spoken of substantiation. You, basically, state, that Hung Fut is the same as Hung gar. Substantiate this claim of yours~.

Ego_Extrodinaire
07-29-2001, 02:23 PM
No_Know

Fundamentally they are the same. Some of the forms are different but that's ok. They cover the same material anway. It's abit like students going to different schools may study out of different text books but end up learning the same material.

Maximus Maximize!
ego_maximus@hotmail.com

honorisc
07-30-2001, 02:39 AM
How many forms are there in Hung Fut?

Ego_Extrodinaire
07-30-2001, 02:50 PM
It is not so much the number of forms but whether the students have been taught how to use the concepts. You could learn half a dozen spanning beginners to advance. It's abit like saying, how many maths books do you need to understand mathmathics. Well, a good instructor would say that it varies from person to person. A good instructor whould be able to identify the natural abilities of his / her students and keep the training program genral enough so that each student can develop to their potential in his / her way.

In summery, there is no need to worry about the number of forms. If you can apply the concepts - call it Hung Gar, Hung Fut or Fut Garr for all I care. I doesn't matter in the end.

Maximus Maximize!
ego_maximus@hotmail.com

honorisc
07-30-2001, 05:20 PM
But where you claim some of the Hung Fut and Hung gar forms are different, which implies that many are the same you would have to know the curicculum of both, including how many forms there are and what they were to validly/soundly make such a claim.

I've heard somthing about the number of forms in the Hung Fut System. So your answer indicates your credibility on the subject.

"Was the article substantiated or unsubstantiated."

Substantiated

"Was it written by a sifu or a scifi writer?"

It was a sifu who was interviewed.

"Fundamentally they are the same. Some of the forms are different but that's ok. They cover the same material anway. It's abit like students going to different schools may study out of different text books but end up learning the same material."

A bit like, means vastly different.

Please adress any of these individually, as I seem to might no_know when you go off topic and talk as if you are being relevat enough to have said something-ish.

How many forms are there in the Hung Fut System?

And what I'll ask everyone-ish, how do you know what you know of Hung Fut (Fot)? Nice things were said about the instructor (T.Y.) from at least two students and four non-students of that System (School), how come?

Merely wondering

brothernumber9
07-30-2001, 05:21 PM
No-Know do you know how many forms are in the Hung fut system?
You seem to know too much to be an outsider of TYKF. So are you a student? do you work there? or maybe you just arbitrarily do headflips in concrete parking lots in Texas?

honorisc
07-30-2001, 06:01 PM
"No-Know do you know how many forms are in the Hung fut system?"

I No_Know if what I heard is actual. Perhaps one of the instructors or students there could better say than me.

"You seem to know too much to be an outsider of TYKF. So are you a student?"

I've only gotten to see a few things in this life. I've had very few experiences. I've been around the Pacific Ocean, the Florida sunlight the Washington Monument in Washington D.C. TYKFS has also been a thing I've been around...I've also been around a block or two (especially when I lose the address).

"do you work there?"

Some might say No(_Know). Hopefully not. Hopefully I do not work any where. Relevantly ish, I do find that quick shifting deep solid stances and connecting all movement to a center helps with household work like vacuuming and mopping. And that T'ai Ch'i Ch'uan makes sweeping less effort. The littlest work is my sight when doing things. And No work is the idea.~

"...or maybe you just arbitrarily do headflips in concrete parking lots in Texas?"

You pick the parkinglot. Put me there. Reduce the crowds. Don't align me to a school. And if I so will it, my Will will be done. If I get to fall down first then flip around then flip up.

Very good :~>oops, I almost forgot to bow. :-) bow to the alter. :-) Now I may leave.

brothernumber9
07-30-2001, 06:14 PM
No_KNow. "Don't align me to a school"?
I assume by this you mean a physical representation of that which you study. However by logical transference one could argue that you are then not aligned with Hung Fut. Sifu Tai Yim is aligned with Hung Fut, The school is aligned with Sifu Tai Yim, etc. Forgive me if I took the phrase too literaly, I am not an english major, as I'm sure my grammar discloses. You ARE a STUDENT of the TAI YIM KUNG FU SHCOOL.

honorisc
07-30-2001, 06:33 PM
Very good.

belatedly Happy Birthday

Oops, seven, not eight twenty-nine yet. Oh well, keep this in your pocket, and look at it in a month. :-)

Lost_Disciple
07-31-2001, 12:17 AM
So am I gonna have to buy both of you guys a beer as soon as I get to Kensington (Assuming I've got this blasted job)?
This place is just brimming with future sihings. :D

I'm enjoying this thread, stealing a lot of info. :p hehe

BTW- Ego- are you saying the principles are the same? Unless they are the same, what you said about Hung Fut being the same as Hung Gar, could apply to every martial art- they're all pretty much the same in the end.

Two *punch* more *punch* frikkin *punch* months! *punch* :mad:

honorisc
11-08-2001, 05:43 PM
A spool of the Web can hold only so much thread :_).

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

FistOfTheNorthSide
11-09-2001, 12:08 PM
I studied Fut Gar under sifu Peter Nosler In Portland OR. It was similar to hung gar or choy li fut. Its full name is Bak Mei Fut Gar and it's a rare family style with shaolin origins. It's not the same fut gar as the others. It had Fairly high stance for a southern style and they chambered at the hip. I only got to learn the first form that consisted of arrow fist with a lunging slide step and od fist linked elbow stikes. That was the styles most fundimental techinques. A cool, interesting southern style.