PDA

View Full Version : To all Kung Fu peeps.......

wushu chik
02-15-2002, 12:16 AM
In your schools...what's the biggest thing that you DON'T agree with. I am not talking like personalities with sifu, etc. I am talking about training stuff that you really really REALLY dislike. If you have one......

~Wen~

KungFuGuy!
02-15-2002, 12:25 AM
I currently don't belong to any school (although I will in 1 day!), but as for my old school, refer to the last page of the thread directly below this one (as of the moment I'm typing this) entitled Temple Kung Fu.
Aren't you going to tell us what suxxorz about your school?

wushu chik
02-15-2002, 12:33 AM
Yeah, I forgot to put that huh? Right now, I would have to say that there's nothing I really disagree with at my school. Basically because it's MY school!!! And, if I don't like something, I change it. One thing the students at the school say is we push them too hard. But if we didn't push them hard, it would be that we didn't push them hard enough. It's always something. Another thing is, they tell me they get lectured to much. But that's because most of them are slack asses and don't listen the first time!!! But they are starting to get the idea!

Mr. Nemo
02-15-2002, 12:37 AM
I don't like that my school has spear class every other sunday at 7:00 in the morning. Sunday is the one day of the week that I get to sleep in.

respectmankind
02-15-2002, 12:38 AM
Personal training, I get to avoid that stuff. Well, sometimes I yell at that man in the mirror I see when I shower. Oh, and those **** mirror monkies I have to put up with in a public gym, they like to see their muscles, I wanna see them drop the **** thing on their foot because of their lack of attention to the situation.

red_fists
02-15-2002, 12:44 AM
The only thing don't like at my Class is the attitude of some students.

But need to givea bit of background before I can mention my Gripe.
My Class is from 14:00 ~15:30.
At 13:30 we sweep the Tatami flooring(whoever has shown up).
At 13:40 we do Push Hand practice till the class starts proper. Sifu is there and giving aid.
15:30~1540 we sweep the flooring again.

Now we got some Students that simply refuse to do either the cleaning or Tui shou as they don't see it useful to their TCC practice.

Make that group 1.

The other group I got probs with are the Students that take twice the normal classes (1 trains at 2 Kwoons of out style), but still can't get even the basics down.
In additon to that they insist after Sifu showed us some corrections to train something completely different which THEY think needs improvement and was covered and finished weeks ago.
Even though Sifu said to this now for the next xx minutes.

That is Group 2.
Those are my pet-peeves.

jon
02-15-2002, 04:01 AM
I feel bad complaining about my classes but ill list the two things i dont like in both just to play along.

Hung Ga:
We have not only a three star blocking excercise but a ten star one. The ten star is SOOOO external and so painfull to perform it makes me wonder what the point is. Seems like im learning to simply bash things with my forearms. Still i DO like conditioning just not THAT one.

Bagua:
Most of my class mates either havent learnt enough or are simply not martial minded enough to want to spar. The only two that do are so young it hardly seems fair. I have to play soft, still i can get over that.
Yet strangely for a pair of 15yo they aint that bad, proof positive that you can be young and still fight using Tai Chi.

KungFuGuy!
02-15-2002, 04:52 AM
Wow wushuchick, I didn't know you had a school of your own! Hmm, maybe you really could kick my @ss... Unlikely!
I know a way to get your students to listen to you the first time, but it depends on how open minded you are when it comes to sex :D

Ish
02-15-2002, 05:31 AM
The only problem i have is that i find it hard to get to some of the classes cos some start at 6 and i don't get home from work till about 5:40. I would miss the class but its the only weapons class that we do.

Ryu
02-15-2002, 07:14 AM
KungFuGuy,
Wushu Chik is officially my "better half" so refrain from speaking to her in that manner or we will be forced to kill you! :mad:

(Sorry...don't really want to to kill you, but if I don't do what she says then.....well you know how it is. :( )

:D :D :D JK, Wushu

Ryu

Budokan
02-15-2002, 08:06 AM
I don't like the fact my school doesn't do weapons training even though it is clearly marked in the curriculum. So I've had to teach myself MA weapons. Hence the several head wounds I've received from nunchuckus, bo, etc.

KC Elbows
02-15-2002, 08:25 AM
The martial art I study was originally one open hand form(very long, very internal) and one spear form. To teach new people, the teacher made a series of external forms to lead up to the internal form. These forms drive me crazy, as the really cool stuff in them is from the internal form, but, since it comes in tiny increments, those of us who want to fight using the style must wait. Also, for experienced martial artists, these forms are sometimes not necessary, IMHO. If the chinese could learn the internal form, so can the non-chinese: I don't think the expectation should be different.

However, I can see the use of the forms in certain teaching situations, so I practice them.

shaolinboxer
02-15-2002, 08:36 AM
Wow, thinking about it....I for once have no complaints.

Paul
02-15-2002, 09:01 AM
I have no complaints.

BoxerChick
02-15-2002, 09:11 AM
If I went to a Kung Fu school, I would never bow to that Chinese God dude.
I am not religious and hope a Kung Fuey teacher wouldn't make me adhere to such silly superstition.

JasBourne
02-15-2002, 09:18 AM
No bowing to gods in my school :D

Actually, the only thing I hate is that there are currently no other women in my kwoon. We train strictly for combat, not sport, and I suspect that scares off a lot of female prospects when they come to check out the school. :(

dwid
02-15-2002, 09:25 AM
I guess I have the same problem as Jon on the previous page. I do Bagua, and what few Bagua people there are training with my instructor don't seem to be very dynamic about their applications. I usually work applications with the wing chun guys, which is nice, because I don't fall into a routine. I have to defend against their way of fighting, they have to defend against mine. So I guess that's not a real complaint.

Arhat of Fury
02-15-2002, 09:41 AM
If I had to choose on this topic I would say,
Lack of structure.

AOF

Justa Man
02-15-2002, 11:21 AM
i don't agree with how my sifu approaches teaching new material. he says there needs to be a balance of making sure a student knows what he is practicing, and making sure the student isn't bored with the training. so we have students learning 5,6 and 7, when i could point out their errors in 2 and 3. i think a student should have 2 and 3 mastered before 4 is introduced.
on a personality tip, i can't stand when, as soon as sifu leaves the classroom, people start conversating like it was a grammer school lunchroom. but they are all quiet (well, mostly) when he is in there. it's like....don't front people. your kung fu school isn't a social gathering or a hang out, it's a place to learn and train. you should hear the conversations that come up when he isn't there. total bs, non-kung fu related small talk that has no place and shows mad lack of focus. straight little kid $hit and that kills me. people in my school think i'm either mad, or mean and conceited because i rarely engage in conversation or kid around. i've been told that a few times. sorry peoples, don't know what you are here for, but i'm here to work hard at kung fu skills, not talk about how my day was. it's called a kung fu school for a reason. school's in....shut the f*ck up and train.

(breathing deeply to calm down)....:D

Ryu
02-15-2002, 11:25 AM
"Chinese God dude"

The hell is that?? :D LOL

Ryu

Justa Man
02-15-2002, 11:31 AM
yea, who is that anyway? kwan? we don't even have his pic in my school. we only 'salute' our sifu and our school flag. nobody 'bows' in my school.

txwingchun
02-15-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Justa Man
i don't agree with how my sifu approaches teaching new material. he says there needs to be a balance of making sure a student knows what he is practicing, and making sure the student isn't bored with the training. so we have students learning 5,6 and 7, when i could point out their errors in 2 and 3. i think a student should have 2 and 3 mastered before 4 is introduced.
on a personality tip, i can't stand when, as soon as sifu leaves the classroom, people start conversating like it was a grammer school lunchroom. but they are all quiet (well, mostly) when he is in there. it's like....don't front people. your kung fu school isn't a social gathering or a hang out, it's a place to learn and train. you should hear the conversations that come up when he isn't there. total bs, non-kung fu related small talk that has no place and shows mad lack of focus. straight little kid $hit and that kills me. people in my school think i'm either mad, or mean and conceited because i rarely engage in conversation or kid around. i've been told that a few times. sorry peoples, don't know what you are here for, but i'm here to work hard at kung fu skills, not talk about how my day was. it's called a kung fu school for a reason. school's in....shut the f*ck up and train.

(breathing deeply to calm down)....:D

Thank the Chinese God dude:D I thought I was the only one that didn't go class to socialize, but to learn.

Arhat of Fury
02-15-2002, 11:46 AM
Justaman,
Wanted to shed some light on your post. Class is for learning. This means that you learn new things. Mastery of cerain forms and techniques will happen over a lifetime. You will practice the very first form you learned differently 10 years from now than you do today. I have struggled with your very same reasoning for a long time, but then some of my Sihings, scooled me on some facts. Alot has to do with body control. As long as one knows the movements of the forms, the concept and where the power stems from, and knows what it should look like- It is only a matter of time before their bodies will move like their vision in their head. Hence, "the path of mastery". Mastery and success are a path, not a destination. Out of class is when practice should occur and in class is when learning should occur. Just thought I'd try to help as someone helped me.

Trying to make karma go round,

Amitoufu,

AOF

DelicateSound
02-15-2002, 11:52 AM
My old class used to spent over 50% of the time doing exercises. As I'm fit anyway it was a leisurely stroll, as I sauntered about watching overweight fatboxes struggle to haul their blobby sides around the room. Sit-ups, sprints, skipping etc. My instructor once asked me why I refused to learn how to skip, I said:

"I don't come here to learn how to skip"

He then asked me why I was there. I quit shortly afterwards.

[grrr]........ taking medicine.............. :D

Justa Man
02-15-2002, 01:43 PM
txwingchun...please don't defect !

Arhat...thanks for the insight. I see what you mean and I agree with you. I just see people doing the movements incorrectly, but never being corrected or never taking the correction seriously, because they've moved on and learned further material. Things like having the legs too close together in a stance can lead to knee problems. Or not turning the shoulder when striking leads to stifling the power. This one girl that is learning a form at my school is a good example. I've had to correct her on some of her stances...a few times. Stances are some of the first things we learn in my school. Forms aren't taught for about 3 to 6 months after that. When I correct her, she says "Oh I know that" or just looks at me like I'm wasting her time with "beginner" stuff. But she still does her stances wrong!! :mad: Just things that make me question whether someone is practicing outside of class, or taking things seriously. I don't know. I see your point though. Thank you man...you have just upped your karma by 147 points. :)

I just wish we all lived in the old times, where it would be totally acceptable for you to do one thing for months, and unacceptable for you to be taught new things until you had the old things down to a T.

I don't mean to be taking this thread off it's original topic. Don't mind me....carry on. :D

Arhat of Fury
02-15-2002, 02:22 PM
Justaman,
Yeah, those things do bother me too:confused: I also agree with you about the old days where you were taught til you mastered, then you moved on. This would up the bar for KF skill levels in a certain given time. Unfortunately people like me didnt realize this was the path until later in life.

Sorry to get off topic!

Amitoufu,

AOF

BoxerChick
02-15-2002, 04:47 PM
My friend has to bow to a chinese god dude with a big pole axe and they light incense and pretend to be chinese and stuff at his kung fuey school.
I don't know the god dudes name, but I will ask my friend.

Arhat of Fury
02-15-2002, 04:54 PM
Boxerchic, you are probably referring to General Kuan.
There are really only 3 posssibilities on who schools bow to.

1- Buddha/Ta mo
2- the elders or founders of that style
3-General kuan(I have never heard of this though)

Amitoufu,

AOF

Highlander
02-15-2002, 05:02 PM
Arhat of Fury and Arhat of Fury,

I agree with you both. I wish there was less emphasis on learning something new and more on prefecting what you have learned.

Originally posted by DelicateSound
My old class used to spent over 50% of the time doing exercises. As I'm fit anyway it was a leisurely stroll, as I sauntered about watching overweight fatboxes struggle to haul their blobby sides around the room

DelicateSound,

Just some food for thought. I may poke fun at a fat person in a buffet line or ordering 10 Big Mac all for themself, but I never poke fun at one in a Gym or MA school. One of my first instructors taught me that anyone can have a problem and we should respect the ones that recongize it and are trying to do something to correct it. Just another point of view.

red_fists
02-15-2002, 05:05 PM
BoxerChick.

That sounds strange.

I know some Japanese styles still bow to a Shinto shrine, but no such custom in CMA, AFAIK.

We bow twice, one to the scrolls(Buddhist, DA Mo statue has already been removed from KWoon) on the Wall(the world in general, everbody afces the same direction), than Sifu turns and we bow to each other.

Some JMA styles like Aikido have a Photo/Pic of the Founder up and bow to it to thank the Master for creating their Art.

But again it sounds weird and I would check the school with the fine comb.

Something smells fishy and it isn't the Chinese takeout from last night.

Ryu
02-15-2002, 10:24 PM
"My friend has to bow to a chinese god dude with a big pole axe and they light incense and pretend to be chinese and stuff at his kung fuey school.
I don't know the god dudes name, but I will ask my friend."

I'm neither Chinese, nor do I do any type of kung fu whatsoever, ......however I still think this is nothing but a troll. That whole post just swims with troll bait.... :)

"Chinese god dude" "big pole axe" "kung fuey school"
........please. LOL
What legit person trying not to insight flames talks like that? Besides the completely uneducated?

Ignore List time...
Ryu

wushu chik
02-16-2002, 01:04 AM
Ryu...

Honey, thank you for sticking up for me! I totally appreciate all the kind words in my absence!

KungFuGuy! Um, I really don't think I would have much trouble whooping on ya, specially with all the BACKUP I have in my corner should I fail to do so the first time (although HIGHLY unlikely!!).

Good posts guys...I am just wondering what everyone thought about their classes!

BoxerChick......although I have let it slide that you have tried to claim awesomeness by trying to use a name VERY similar to mine, that post of yours was just plain STUPID. Next time, find out a little more about what you are talking about before you come on a KUNG FU forum and try to play all cutesy and stuff. Your blondness will get you NOWHERE with anyone, but out the door. Just a thought!! :D

~Wen~

jon
02-16-2002, 01:16 AM
Hey Wu Shu stop picking on bimbos, they are like my total favorite.
One of the few types of girl you can generaly act like a total prat and they will still buy you ice cream:D
If only there were more bimbos in this world then most of us guys wouldnt need to spend all our time on forums.
We would all be out laying blond haired, mini skirt wearing, tank topped stupid females.
The truth is all guys love bimbos, we just dont marry em;)

wushu chik
02-16-2002, 01:26 AM
Jon,
That was hilarious.

kungfu cowboy
02-16-2002, 01:48 AM
My dear old dad married a bimbo, god love 'em!

KungFuGuy!
02-16-2002, 05:39 AM
Methinks boxerchik is jacki again.
And wushuchick, I now realize you definately would beat me down, because I would lay back and enjoy it! Hit me baby one more time!

BoxerChick
02-16-2002, 11:34 AM
Wushu Chicky,
You sound icky,
Could it be you have a d-i-c-k-y?

Your talking tough,
Your talking jive,
But I bet I could drop you in five!

Your kicks look pretty,
You pose real nice,
But my left hook will leave you on ice!

So wear your girly silk pajamas,
And put on that pretty kung fuey shoe.
Today I'm feeling a little c-o-c-k-y,
So I'm sure I could drop you in two!

JasBourne
02-16-2002, 01:23 PM
um.. yeah. ok. you rule 'n stuff.

:rolleyes:

Justa Man
02-16-2002, 01:56 PM
wow boxerchik. that was pi$$ poor.
wushuchik, i don't know ya, but nice to meet ya, and if it's not too much to ask after just introducing myself, could you please beat this girl up?

DelicateSound
02-16-2002, 02:26 PM
Highlander - I wasn't really poking fun. Yep, people have problems, and its best to rif yourself of them. My problem is that I was paying £3.75 an hour to run around in circles. I can run around at home for free. At a class you should learn Kung-Fu, not get fit. You do that outside of class no?

I'm I talking bollocks here people?

Boxerchick - That really was p!ss-poor. Man, I'd love to see CSN mess you up in a rhyming bee. :D Didn't you read the rhyming thread - there was some Olympic standard lyricised skill over there girl*

*N.B: For social and political reasons I must state that there is a 76/80 chance that BoxerChick is infact a man. With swinging dongas.

jon
02-16-2002, 11:44 PM
"*N.B: For social and political reasons I must state that there is a 76/80 chance that BoxerChick is infact a man. With swinging dongas."
* I like those odds, if i where a gamboling man i would put money on the fact that boxerchick is Ralek...
I havent seen him around much of late and the retoric is nearly exact.
Ralek, Jackie, Boxerchick
all the same 14 yo kid with a desperate need for acceptance.

Now does anyone have a cute sister they would classify as bimbo materiral, my new gf is all into culture and stuff, darn annoying.

GOLDEN ARMOR
02-17-2002, 09:45 AM
We have a alter for general Gwan Kung at my Choy Lee Fut school. The advanced students light incence & leave fruit to appeas the God of War & show respect. We also have a buddhist alter & for the founder of CLF wich is our sifus great great grandfather. I always bow as i enter & leave the school at the founder & past masters photos, they dont make u but to show respect. We do have to bow to the sifu & the founders alter which is behind the sifu when we start & finish class. There is a simple solution if u dont want to bow & show respect in a traditional kung fu school, get the fuk out & take ur ego with u.

CrushingFist
02-17-2002, 01:02 PM
i can't state it any better golden armor.

We bow technically to the general kwan when we enter our training room, if you don't want to bow to him, (he is directly across the room facing the gate to the training room) we just tell ppl, bow to the training room itself, it's just to show respect, your not worshipping anything, just showing respect because thats how respect is shown in CMA. Most of the advanced students then bow 3 times to our Sijo's picture on the wall, and thats it.

I think the word "bow" offends some ppl, especially christians. and thats why a lot of them don't like to do it, or refrain, because they think it means your worshiping the person as an idol or false god etc etc...we just wanna show respect! shoot ... anyways, im out. byebye

Budokan
02-17-2002, 01:39 PM
Gotcha, you stupid t*rd-lick. You made one mistake too many, like most trolls.

BoxerChik is a guy. Not that it comes as a surprise to most of us, but now it's REALLY apparent. And sad.

:rolleyes:

Justa Man
02-17-2002, 04:03 PM
wait...i missed the giveaway. how do you know? is it because no girl could possibly rhyme that atrociously?

Ryu
02-17-2002, 04:07 PM
The type of wording BoxerVestite uses is extremely reminiscent of such famous shemales as "Jacki", "Stacey" (no offense Stace, but its obvious :D ) and others.

Ryu

DelicateSound
02-17-2002, 04:14 PM
Before some twat deleted it - my "How to tell the men from the ladyboys" thread explained all about this.

See Kung Lek..... SEE!!!! I am useful. Honest.

Yes - no woman would rhyme like that. Ever. Same as no woman would call herself "Cum dumpster".

Josh Rakowski - the cat-molesting, mule-sucking, BJJ -loving rogue - what sinister and lowly guise will he take next week, in his dastardly bid to crush the Evil Empire that is Kung Fu Magazine?

Tune in next week. Only on FoxKids! (TM)

JasBourne
02-17-2002, 04:33 PM
Delicate Sound, would you PLEASE stop using the word "twat" to insult people with? Every time you use it that way you insult all women by implying that to be a twat (vagina, or one who has one) is to be a second-class citizen. That REALLY bugs women, although most of the time we're too brainwashed to call you thoughtless pen!ses on it ;)

You say you consider yourself an adult - one of the hallmarks of a civilized adult is to consider how their words and actions affect others.

:cool:

PS I agree with the rest of your post

DelicateSound
02-17-2002, 04:40 PM
Sorry Jas :( Really I am. No disrespect - but it's the only word I don't have to partially censor. I have a mini keyboard see, and it means I have to numerically type the "asterisk" into Word, then cut and paste it in.

But yes, point taken. My bad.

[To Self - never argue with Jas....... :D]

Ryu
02-17-2002, 05:00 PM
somewhere down the line my utter love of women who have strong opinions, know how to argue and enjoy it, is going to get me into loads of trouble I'm sure. ;)

Ryu

JasBourne
02-17-2002, 05:14 PM
Only if you consider solid friendships and really hot dates "loads of trouble". Right, wushuchik? ;)

Ryu
02-17-2002, 06:55 PM
:D

wushu chik
02-23-2002, 05:45 PM
Sorry all for my long absence. I had some family stuff I had to deal with, but now I AM BACK. Yes, Jas...I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU ON THE STRONG WOMAN THING!!! Gurl-Power all the way. And Ryu...HI HON!! I missed ya. Boxerchick, you suck a$$....and I believe that you are in fact a man. And uh, as for the stupid little poem...DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB!!

neito
02-23-2002, 08:03 PM
my complaints are fairly minor (but many), because in the end they will not matter too much. for your information i study wing chun

1)for some reason my sifu wants us to learn 6 forms instead of 3, so the first, third and fifth forms we learn are from some sort of long fisted style (lots of horizontal punches and crane hand strikes). this would be ok but we never practise the techniques from those forms, in the rest of class. Its kind of hard to do it right if its completely opposite of wing chun.

2)despite the fact that wing chun kicks are easy to learn, my sifu makes us learn the karate/tkd side kick first. for me its not a problem because i learned it for 3 years in tkd, but i would still rather learn wing chun kicks. karate side kicks dont exactly work using a wing chun stance. also most of my classmates have awful balance so doing kicks where you have to turn your hip over while standing on one foot don't work too well.

3)while my wc classes are very affordable since i'm a student at the university where the class is held ( $25 canadian/month)
the weapons classes are $30 dollars each for 2.5 hours and are not held too often. luckily i can learn kenjutsu for free, but others are not so lucky :( :(

4) our class is split up by belt rank categories, even though wing chun is not supposed to have belts. instead of judging people by actual skill they are judged by their belt. unfortunatly the belt tests are very easy and everyone passes as long as they pay $35
and have been training for 3 months since their last belt test. The catch is that you have to pay for the test if you want to get into the higher rank class if you want to learn more advanced stuff and actually get to train with the sifu.

5) almost no sparring. sparring is not everything but it helps you to determine if your technique is any good or not. You can learn a lot from other students by sparring them. I also weeds out the really unskilled people once they realise they are not as good as they assumed they were.

6) conditioning, we waste a lot of time doing non-wing chun related conditioning. conditioning is important, but i dont need to spend valuable class time doing jumping jacks. that kind of stuff can be done at home. i'd rather do conditioning that requires actual instruction( e.g. stance work, repitition of technique)

7) stretching, we waste about one fifth of our class stretching and warming up. everyone should stretch and warm up on their own before class. everybody is built differently and requires different amounts and types of stretching. those who don't know how to stretch and warm up should be taught and then left to do it on their own after that. I'd rather begin the class with devoting time to chi sau or forms or something that the instructor can help us with.

oh well, at least the class is cheap. and wing chun is a good style even if your instruction is'nt great. it all matters how much you practise anyway.