PDA

View Full Version : Interesting new research on fitness

respectmankind
02-15-2002, 12:18 AM
Although I have been saying this for a long time, because it applies to me, but new research, more detailed that what has been done in the past, is pointing to that body fat composition is not as major of a health risk as thought before. Specificaly that, someone who has low body fat composition, but is inactive, is as unhealthy and likely to have medical problems as someone with high (25%) body fat composition. Yet, it becomes more interesting, people who are 'fit' with high body composition are healthy than those with low body composition, and will have less medical risks, and are also, just as healthy and as likely to have little medical problems as someone who is fit that has low body composotion. I have been saying this for a long time because, I myself have 20% body composition and yet I am more fit than most people I meet in all areas. Just thought some of you may be interested in this bit of information, although, like the past studies, who is to say it is not biased, or flawed.

myosimka
02-15-2002, 07:25 AM
Where's the study?

Highlander
02-15-2002, 08:36 AM
And if you don't like that study, just wait for next years. It will be the opposite.

In the past couple of year I have had some health problems. The doctor removed red meats, fruits, and sweets from my diet (all fats and sugars). On my next visit, his associate removed all starches and grain (potatoes and breads). On my third visit, another doctor (same medical group) removed fish, chicken, and vegetables. This left water as the only thing I could eat. After this experience I realize that all food is bad for you, so I just eat what I want. Am I healthy? No. Am I hungry? NO.

Knifefighter
02-15-2002, 12:44 PM
Actually, the research in this area is pretty conclusive and not really new. The Cooper Institute has been studying this for quite some time and there is a large body of evidence to support lack of fitness as being a major health risk factor. A fit "overweight" person is usaully much healthier than a non-fit normal weight person.

Highlander:
Not all food is bad for you. Many foods promote health. A registered dietician (someone with an actual college degree in nutrition) is the person you should consult if you want help with nutritional choices. Most MD's don't have much of an educational background in nutrition and are pretty clueless in this area.

myosimka
02-15-2002, 01:26 PM
Knifefighter, I was well aware of that but that's an issue of 2 variables. I am more interested in the portion that reduces it to the one variable of body fat ratio not being a factor. I am aware that people with higher bodyfat but also a high fitness level have a lower incidence of health risk but I was not aware that they were on par with low fat people also of a high fitness level. That's the claim by respectmankind I was startled by. That's the tidbit I wanted to find. Usually keep up with both Cooper and Colgan on these sorts of things and had not heard that. Tough thing to study though as it's pretty difficult to maintain a high body fat ratio and get your fitness level up to that of a fit low body fat person.

respectmankind
02-15-2002, 08:51 PM
Like I said, this things change all the time, and many research in these areas are biased. I just thought it interesting because it fit me well.

DelicateSound
02-16-2002, 02:31 PM
I'm sure that's true - I've read it 1000 times before. However, my diet of lettuce, grapes and pure protein means, amongst other things, that I look good. :D

Silumkid
02-16-2002, 05:34 PM
Knife said it right, this is hardly new areas of research. It's been known for years that in women who have excessively low bodyfat levels, it messes up the menstrual cycles and in some cases, causes it to completely cease. Good news is once the bodyfat levels come back up the cycles appear to return to normal.

There has also been studies done regarding the role of fat in diet and one particular study found that men who greatly limited their fat intake to something like less than 10% of their diet suppressed their testosterone production.

Be sensible rather than extreme.

Ka
02-16-2002, 07:13 PM
Hello
Can someone just explain what they exactly you mean by fit and healthy?
Is this in relation to the time it takes to return to resting pulse rate? Or is it in relation to chorestrol levels,blood sugar/hemaeglodin(s)?Is healthy never displaying systoms of vireal disease?
Admittly I have encountered both extemes,in Thailand I meet gents who were under 55kg at 165cm who displayed increidable power/and in OZ I have come across 100kg lads who have amazing endurance.I don't neceararyily say that either were healthy(maybe more pychotic with the level of commitment to there training) .
I was always felt that metabolism and balance for that indivual plays a big part.