PDA

View Full Version : 2 person forms in CLF

kei lun
02-15-2002, 08:08 AM
Is there many 2 man forms in Choy Lee Fut? Are there any 3 man forms?

Arhat of Fury
02-15-2002, 09:55 AM
Kei Lun,
Good question, I dont have the answer but am interested in the 3 man forms being that CLF was designed to fight multiple attackers and fighting your way out of ambush. Maybe extrajoseph, CLFNole or Fu_Pow has to say?

AOF

CLFNole
02-15-2002, 10:16 AM
In my lineage we have a number of 2-man forms. These include a few 2-man hand sets but primarily 2-man weapon sets such as staff vs. staff, spear vs. double broadsword, spear vs. kwan do, kwan do vs. bench, etc...)

We didn't have any 3-man forms, however I have heard that the Chan Family has 3-man and I think a 4-man set. Not sure why Chan Hueng would create a 3-man or 4-man form. Creating 2-man forms makes sense because it would allow students to practice various techniques with each other. In my opinion 3-man and 4-man sets were added by later sifus but I could be wrong.

Peace.

premier
02-15-2002, 11:43 AM
You might get better answers in clfma.com. Anyway. there's many two man forms. Sup ji toi chuk moi fa kuen being the first. Rest of the empty hand forms are animal vs. animal forms or animal and another animal vs. animal and another animal. Then there's two man weapon forms. Sup baat yin yang gwun (staff vs. staff) is usually the first and hung jing cheung toi chuk seung do (spear vs. double broadswords) the second.

And as CLFnole said, there's also 4 man form. I don't know any details though. Just that Master Chan has taught it only once to his Wing sing tong group. I heard 4 guys moving at the same time is a bit complicated. ;)

premier

extrajoseph
02-16-2002, 03:26 AM
There are 3 persons form with weapons such as 1 spear vs 2 sabres and 1 sabre vs 2 spears. also there are 4 persons form with weapons such as 2 spears vs. 2 gwan do and 2 dan do (single sabre) vs 2 seurng do (double sabres). These are set routines recorded by Chan Yiu-Chi, sometimes a teacher mayl arrange a new choreography for demonstration or for competiton purpose, apart from training.

kei lun
02-19-2002, 09:07 AM
It must be pretty tough to teach a 3 or 4 person set. Ive never seen it myself.

extrajoseph
02-19-2002, 02:19 PM
Teaching the form is not that hard, getting 4 people together to practice regularly is a bit more difficult these days! Often, a 3 or 4 persons form look sloppy because not enough time is invested in making it look right.

CLFNole
02-19-2002, 02:24 PM
Amen to that.

A few years back my sifu had myself and two of my sihing/dai put together a 3-man form - double broadsword vs. 2 spears. We performed the form for a memorial banquet for our late sifu. There is a lot of timing that is critical to any multiple person form and finding the time can be hard. Luckly we all came to the school very often since we were all instructors of the school so it wasn't that hard.

Peace.

RAIN
02-19-2002, 09:36 PM
thank you extrajoseph and the rest .

i got a doubt with the difference between oi buy leen toi and loi buy leen toi . i mean the literal translation .

extrajoseph
02-20-2002, 03:55 AM
Oi is the kick outward and loi is to kick inward so oi buy leen toi and loi buy leen toi is to do lotus kick in both directions, outward and inward, across your body.

JosephX

GOLDEN ARMOR
02-20-2002, 05:46 AM
Im sure Chan family CLF has 3 & 4 man hand & weapon sets. I heard a few of master Chen's disciples discussing a 4 man set one night at the gwoon. I think it was the Snake & Crane vs Dragon & Tiger if i heard right. From what they were saying it is a very advanced form & most of them havn't learnt it.