PDA

View Full Version : Internal Arts Training for the Physically Handicapped?

Scarletmantis
02-15-2002, 10:07 AM
Hey guys, it's been awhile,

I recently accepted a student to train in Ba Gua Zhang who has Cerebral Palsy. He has managed to learn to walk following years of physical therapy. His legs are quite deformed due to the atrophy resulting from a childhood spent in a wheel chair. It seems to me that while he will have a challenge that most of us couldn't imagine trying to learn an internal art with, the benifits could concievably surpass the average student's because it'll require more effort

I'm planning on working basic Zhang Zhuan for leg strength/alignment, line and circle walking (carefully), stretching, and perhaps some applications to retain interest in the long term (again, carefully). He will probably have to spend alot more time than the average student studying the basics (we're talking months and years to perfect what might be automatic even for beginners).

Anyone have any ideas or comments? I'm really looking forward to the challenge, but I'd like to keep it fresh and interesting for him (thus the effort to train him with a few applications).

Crimson Phoenix
02-15-2002, 10:15 AM
Incredible story...I guess indeed Zhang Zhuang would be great, as it has been shown that imagery working has an effect on neural connections...I'm sure his legs could gain pretty much strength if you make him practice linear or circle walking for a while...stretching cannot be bad either.
I have no particular idea, I guess I'm finding things that could be suitable for such a challenge in any bagua move I can think of, except maybe the last palms that can get more demanding...it's great, I'm sure you'll be a good teacher, just follow your instinct about what can or cannot be done. And if he has enough will, his progress could be impressive...

EARTH DRAGON
02-15-2002, 10:21 AM
Scarlet, I would first like to commend you on the task that you are about to take on. It takes lots of compassion and patients to work with any type of handicap.

I had a student that was born deaf, and not only did the verbal communtication make it difficult his balance was also a hard obstacle to conquer due to the lack of equlibrium.

I have found that if you can work on what they CAN do first it builds their self esteem up to the point that they will try things they normally wouldnt try.

Also if you can show him things to do when he is not in class or under your tutuledge his determanation will carry on at home rather than just at class time.

Good luck in your teaching.....

Cody
02-15-2002, 11:25 AM
Teaching the handicapped is a challenge, but oh the possibilities.
Thing is that one's expectations need to be in line with the student, more than even is usually assumed. A handicapped student might not meet certain standards, where others seem to succeed, and make headway along certain basics of body mechanics or other more advanced work (even if it is out of sequence to what is normally taught or expected).

I'm thinking. I don't know anything about motion in cerebral palsy. I'm saying this cause it's good to pick up on the natural movements of the student. In this case, is there a natural circular quality to them, or how can what the person already does be worked with, in units (small pieces of complete movements) to make for a fluid and meaningful way of moving. Am I being clear? Like, does this person tend to circle naturally?
Semi-circle?
Just as there are so many pieces to a unit of a movement, to an application, which all come together, such that some might be lost to view. This is also present in the untrained, handicapped student. He's going to have to relearn. He's going to learn how to walk. So, to take what he has and then to correct very small things, cause that's all he can handle at first, is what I suggest. This should interest the student. I don't know how much control can be gotten from Chi Kung and sheer will in something like this. I might suggest that the student be given a seated energy circulation exercise as well, if that is okay. just an idea.

Where is Pinecove? I'm in the South Bay.

Cody

Water Dragon
02-15-2002, 11:51 AM
The first thing I would do is find out idfthe student has a physical therapist. If so, try to get together and come up with a game plan together.

Scarletmantis
02-15-2002, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Please keep it coming.

Cody: Pinecove is about five minutes from Idyllwild in the San Jacinto Mountains. It's a mile and a half above sea level and two hours away from the ocean. I can't figure out the "cove" part either.

Water Dragon: He is not currently working with a physical therapist, but my roommate happens to be his Acupuncturist, which is where I got the referal. We will be working with him together, though obviopusly in different capacities.

Earth Dragon, Crimson Phoenix: Nate stands in a naturally pigeon toed stance. If I knew any wing chun... sigh. But, he's not really interested in standing in one place and throwing punches anyway. What he's really interested in is learning to move, strengthening his legs/balance, and learning self defense. I believe that Ba Gua should foot the bill.

Sam Wiley
02-15-2002, 03:49 PM
Bagua should do him a lot of good. If nothing else, he naturally stands in ko bu.:) Bagua is great for health. Even if it takes him 10 times as long as a normal student to get things, he'll gain immensely from it. I have had people come to me who wanted to study Taiji to help with their health or mental state or other things, and some become discouraged when they do not see immediate results. One girl did not come back after the first session because she felt Taiji was too hard. The trouble was that she was coming to Taiji because she had tried other methods and did not get the results she wanted from them for her depression. I encouraged her all I could and told her to just take it slow, but she still gave up. I even tried to get her to just practice what she had learned from me on that one visit so that she would gain something at least (I taught her basic standing qigong and Wave Hands Like Clouds) when she told me she thought Taiji was too hard and wasn't coming back, though I doubt she is still practicing it.

For people who are ill or physically challenged in some way, things come harder, and they have to invest a lot more sweat and tears to make the same gains. But they are the ones who, if they stick with it, are going to appreciate it the most when they do gain. I really can't give you any advice, except to ask that you and your friend help him the best that you can and keep him interested and encourage him on, and please don't let him give up.

prana
02-15-2002, 04:43 PM
Om Namo Bagawatay Bhaishajye Guru Bedurya Prabha Rajaya Tathagata Arhate Samyaksam Buddhaya Tayadtha Om Bhaishajye Bhaishajye Maha Bhaishajye Bhaishajye Rajaya Samugatye Svaha

Internal training, spiritual Qi Kung, call it whatever you want :D

taooftaichi
02-17-2002, 04:13 PM
It's always a wonderful opportunity to work with people who have special needs. Very often Tai Chi, Ba Qua or other internal arts may be one of the few methods they can actually use safely and to gain good results (physical and psychological). It's incredibly rewarding and uplifting for a teacher. We put in a lot of energy and time into teaching, so it's especially uplifting to see the positive response by these individuals

To help your student get the best results I would suggest that you investigate the nature of the restriction (in this case CP). This information, that may be obtained from particular organizations or textbooks, will help you determine how, and very importantly why, certain changes in training or teaching may be necessary.

Too many teachers of the internal arts feel that they can simply teach the same way to everyone without any modification. Or worse, that any modification is compromising the art and that therefore the student is not "really" learning the internal arts.

One of the amazing things I have noticed over years of teaching is that even if a student is only able to understand and apply a percentage of what you teach them, they can still make significant progress in their health and well-being.

Good luck in your teaching!