PDA

View Full Version : Interesting New Topic

KC Elbows
02-15-2002, 12:56 PM
Who here has sparred with armed forces members?

In a few weeks, my teachers brother, a recon marine, will be back in town for a little bit. He's tough as nails, but he has years of martial arts training in addition to his marine training. I know that his unit, or what have you, consider him mister hand-to-hand.

However, I've met a couple of marines who were in good shape, could probably out shoot me, but hand-to-hand were not a match(not plugging my skills, just pointing out the range of skills within a group). However, the most impressive I've met were mostly marines, although I haven't met a SEAL member before.

No fair including air force or armored, unless you've got a good story.

apoweyn
02-15-2002, 01:20 PM
sparred with a friend who was in the airborne reserves for a while. he assures me that the h2h they learned was minimal. i think the only think that would make them inherently more worrisome is that they're in really good shape.

but i could be woefully wrong.

the military guys i know that are h2h badasses train independently of the service.

stuart b.

jjj
02-15-2002, 02:51 PM
As you mentioned I think the primary thing to be concerned about is not the techniques that these guys are taught but the fact that they are in excellent physical condition. Other than that it is based on the individual.

red5angel
02-15-2002, 03:01 PM
I wa sin the marine corp, and we have discussed this here. In the forces, your HtH training in the military, at any level, including the SEALS, is minimal compared to anyone who is competent in a martial art, no exageration. The reason is that you learn in the military in an excellerated fashion, and the training you get is compressed into a few weeks. I was in Karate before the Marines, and much to the irritation of my Drill instructors and combat instructors, refused to use alot of wha they showed us. I was challanged a few times on why, and showed them why, but it is the cirriculum they will teach.
Whats funny is we had a few wrestlers in boot that used to get up after lights out, and spar on the deck.
Hope that helps.

KC Elbows
02-15-2002, 03:28 PM
I sort of knew that the training was that way. How economical is it to teach some guy to be wong fei hung when he's gonna get ripped up by shrapnel before he ever reaches another guy(exaggeration, I know). Still, I'm sure there's some badarses out there.

red5angel
02-15-2002, 03:31 PM
Its not so much about wasting time, because if you make a quality soldier, he can generally last longer then a not so quality soldier.
Its more about efficiency, if you can train a soldier to be able to handle himself against most of the enemies he may meet, in battle or on the street in foreign countries, then that is sufficient. It only takes so much time. The idea is to fit as much training into Boot and Infantry school to make them survivable on the battlefield.