PDA

View Full Version : Oh Happy Day!

KC Elbows
02-15-2002, 03:17 PM
Because of some health problems, I've been completely unable to do any external kung fu or rigorous workout. This has sucked, but I've been doing tons of chi kung and doing what movements could be done extreme slow speed, and doing what we call spirit boxing(imagine an attacker, attacking, no set attacks, and defend/attack), but doing it very slow, which is much harder than I'd imagined(to maintain the imagination for long periods and slow movements of an imaginary attacker take some practice).[Note: I'd rather be sparring, but that would be very bad right now]

Anyway, my teacher had something to take care of Tuesday, and he called me and asked "Can you practice?" and I told him I wasn't doing well, and he was kind of quiet. Anyway, I asked him if he needed someone to teach the class, and he said yes. I told him I was OK to do that, and I'd go out there and take care of that for him(to be honest, I missed going up there so bad, I was looking forward to having some part in practice).

I went up there in my work clothes(business casual), and was doing some chi kung before anyone arrived. Well, my teacher ended up being able to reschedule what he had to do, so he arrived there at the same time as a bunch of others, and one person commented on my being the well-dressed fighter, and my teacher said, and I quote:

"He looks like the old masters, you see pictures of them practicing in regular clothes."

Which made chi kung really difficult(DOWN ego! BAD ego!) So he tells me I can go, and I tell him I'll stay and do chi kung, so he starts class.

Half an hour later, he comes up while I'm doing a movement called the rat. He watches for a minute and says "Hm. Good rat." My ego did a double leg takedown, and since I don't crosstrain, I had to poke it in the eyes, which, contrary to what I had been told, worked.

Finally, he comes over and says"Show me your internal form", which is the core form to our system, everything else comes from it. I didn't know any of it, and I told him so. He did that "I'm sizing you up" look and said "Do this" and did the first three steps, nice and slow.

So I did them. Over and over. Both sides. Every day.

I forgot to post this earlier, but this form has been my goal for three years, and I love it! Plus, my teacher said that I am the best student he could ask for, I'm always there for him and I'm experienced and don't put him up on some crazy pedestal. We're good friends, which is something I never pictured possible in my chung moo days.

Anyway, no chance of making this long story short. Happy practice, hope you all do ten times as good as I did this week, and let me live vicariously through all of your sparring stories for a little while. :D

Tigerstyle
02-15-2002, 03:37 PM
"He looks like the old masters, you see pictures of them practicing in regular clothes."

Alright! That's cool, man!

One time during a demo I was at in LA, there were some old school kung fu guys doing forms in business suits because the crowd was cheering for them to jump right in and do it. I distinctly remember this old man casually taking off his suit jacket and waving to the crowd, then... BAM! Started busting out some Southern style kung fu! He looked tough, too! Jaguar Wong and I were thinking about how cool it would be to be at 70+ years old and doing forms with no warm up needed :D .

KC Elbows is old school kung fu, man :) .

KC Elbows
02-15-2002, 03:42 PM
Now I just have to become phenomenal at my style, so that my technique matches my sharp threads. Forget the old traditional uniforms, suits and dress shoes are what's in for the aspiring kung fu man of today.:D

Tigerstyle
02-15-2002, 03:54 PM
They'll never win MMA events in those suits ;) .

It would give some KF guys a new reason not to compete though:

"I don't waste my with it. I'll be too busy lookin' good." :D

Cody
02-15-2002, 03:58 PM
I'm delighted. The best possible result. Had a feeling. High Fives!!!

You are very fortunate and I'm very happy for you. Hope you recover your health very soon. Oh, this is great!
Cody

KC Elbows
02-15-2002, 03:59 PM
It'll be OK as long as they remember to wear clip-on ties.

Here comes our first competitor, performing his southern fist in a smashing Armani with platinum cufflinks and a derby.:D

KC Elbows
02-15-2002, 04:00 PM
Thanks Cody.

I've gotta go find some pleated chuck norris slacks.

DelicateSound
02-16-2002, 05:24 AM
Nice one KC - I'm happy for you man! :D

[if a little envious :p...]

DelicateSound
02-16-2002, 05:31 AM
hope you all do ten times as good as I did this week

Nah - I did good though. Although my good involved a regular ass-beating. Which somehow is good. I'm learning fast anyhow :D

jon
02-16-2002, 06:19 AM
Congratulations, I hope you enjoy and get benifit from what you are about to recieve.
Just remember treasure sets are not given up easily so make sure you give it the work it deserves.
In my experience things are held back for two reasons, they either require a heavy base to perform effectively or there downright dangerous knowledge.
Either way its quite an honor so make sure you buy your sifu a big box of chocolates or something:)
Ive been shown a few so called 'secret' things and they have ranged from basic posture changes to totaly overhauls of power generation and changes to target and striking surface.
You may be in for the time of your life but my money says that you will cry when you figure out how much work you have to do:p

Congratulations KC im glad you have started to learn what you have worked so hard towards.

Brad
02-16-2002, 08:26 AM
Hey KC, what style/system do you practice?

Nexus
02-16-2002, 11:29 AM
I remember one day we were doing chi gung and the t'ai chi form way back, and I decided to completely relax and just stop trying to do my chi kung and form. Just go with it, let my body completely do the movements without thinking of where my hands and arms should be.

At the end, my teacher came up to me out of 50 or 60 people there and said, your t'ai chi looked very good today. I really had no idea what it was he saw that was different then usual, but at the time it was inspirational and I began training even harder.

People showing interest and complimenting your hard work is an energy I am welcome to receiving but of course not dwelling on. Same goes when I dance, when someone walks up to you and says "hey, nice dancin". It's a respect for expression.

KC Elbows
02-16-2002, 06:49 PM
The core internal style is called tai hui, the form itself is called something like luk chua bi da. In the US, the style as a whole is generally called six elbows.

Southern internal style, close range being its specialty, lots of elbows, a lot of schoui zhou(sp? throws), some chin na, but chin na considered not as importasnt as throws, as the purpose is to break the opponent and get him away from you in time to deal with the next one.

Nexus, it was sort of like that. I wasn't worrying about how my form came up, just doing it because that's what I do, and it came up better than if I had spent too much thinking on it. Good point on not dwelling on it: I've been working on keeping that in mind, as one good day is less important to focus on than the day I am living today.

DS, how's the ass-beatings going?

Jon, there's always a long way to go, I agree.

DelicateSound
02-17-2002, 05:40 PM
DS, how's the ass-beatings going?

Slowly, painfully. I swear I've been permanently damaged. I'm going back tomorrow night for more though [groan]. It had to be done.....